Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Lo Bueno, Lo Malo y Lo Feo
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:26 PM
Lo Bueno, Lo Malo y Lo Feo

I entered Baja Dec 18th and am now in San Felipe getting ready to cross the border for the long drive back to Canada and what that entails once back to that form of reality.

I will offer a trip report with pics and videos over time once back home sharing my most excellent adventure.

The trip has allowed me to meet some new Nomads up and down this extraordinary peninsula....so the social encounters enriched my focus on places to ride and explore: that was "the good" .... Lo Bueno.

The bad and the ugly happened to me in San Felipe Saturday night: my motorcycle was stolen.

Lo Malo y Lo Feo !!!

My loss of cameras in Loreto was due to my carelessness....the theft was due to a motorcycle theft ring that is known in town.

I have made a police report and a report to a Community Justice official ....and am making posters offering a $15,000 MP reward for the return or info leading to the return...."No questions asked".

I am staying at Kiki's Hotel and he is being very helpful with my efforts as he has encountered this issue with previous guests over the past few years, some of whom are friends of Kiki and myself.

So....if you want to keep it....lock it up.

I will need to leave San Flippedme in a few days and am at the mercy of my contacts keeping their ears to the ground as they know who the theft ring is but can't catch them red-handed: No evidence=no charges.

The bike is a 2009 KTM 690 and I will try and post a pic later.
:(:(:(

Don't believe everything you think....
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:40 PM

Man............That sucks about both thefts! How could they take your BIKE! I'm sorry to hear that Ged. Hoping this story ends a tad better.

We are rooting for you.

[Edited on 1-27-2014 by Ateo]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:41 PM

:o:fire:my condolences my friend, thats awful!:(
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:42 PM

Hopefully the kharma police will help you out. Sorry about your loss.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:46 PM

The bike:

[Edited on 1-27-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:52 PM

if it helps, picture a new duke in the back of your truck!...?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 10:02 PM

That totally sucks! Sorry for your loss.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 11:09 PM

So sorry about your bike GED. Hopefully the thieves will be caught.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 11:12 PM

Jeez Ged, I'm sorry to hear that. That was a sweet ride, and really an ugly bad way to have to end your trip. A Baja Boohoo for sure.:fire:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 11:29 PM
Que feo!

That sucks, so sorry to hear. I hope the rest of your trip went better.

Please tell us the motorcycle was insured. :(

I can relate: while I was living in Ensenada I had all my scuba gear stolen. Such a violation. Really sorry it ended this way for you.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 11:37 PM

:o so so sad to read this Ged... wow, the amigo country no mas???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 12:08 AM

Dang! This is terrible.

Besides the material loss, having something like this stolen is such a personal violation. I so remember walking out of small shopping center in Guatemala and our truck was gone. At first, you just can't believe it, and then the other emotions arrive in a flood.

So very sorry this has happened. You mentioned lock it---but if it was a well organized group, that might not have helped.

One of my sons had a car stolen in Vista, CA, and the other one had one stolen in Huntington Beach, CA., so it can and does happen in many places. But no matter where it happens, it is the sh****ts.

[Edited on 1-27-2014 by DianaT]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 12:19 AM

I've had several cameras stolen in baja. Years later you realize that it's the images that you regret more than the camera. Hopefully you downloaded them somewhere prior to the theft.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 06:45 AM

Wow. That really sux, big time. You spread your karma everywhere you go, hopefully it will be returned.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 06:47 AM

OH Ged...so very sorry for your loss...at times like this I shake my head in wonder and one side of my brain thinks...nice guys finish last...

But the other side of my brain and my heart remind me that things happen for a reason and perhaps the Great Spirit had a hand in this...and prevented a fatal accident. You are well loved in Baja sir and we look forward to your presence next season.

It sounds as this has been a problem before in San Felipe...have others here heard of this moto theft ring? It would have been nice to know in advance so you could have taken more precautions in San Felipe. Perhaps the ride boards are onto it to warn others...maybe a decoy bike needs to be left with a remote camera aimed at it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 07:53 AM

So sorry bout that. Every so often I get a little to comfortable. If you love it lock it. If you really love it sleep with it
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 08:06 AM

Ged,

What rotten luck. So very sorry.
Hope they find the bike and the rotten guys.

Have a safe drive back north!

We are heading south from Portland Oregon today.

See you next year, we hope!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 10:27 AM

Wow, I am so sorry. I do know how you feel as I had my truck stolen at Rene's restaurant in Rosarito. In my case I got it back a week later.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 11:49 AM

Very sad incident indeed. I bet you get it back with the reward you offered. At least, I hope so.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 12:03 PM

Thinking of your situation. Have you considered putting out a BOLO on various offroader forums? Perhaps someone would see it in use, or even be approached to buy it, while visiting Baja? If they are moto afficianados they might recognize the equipment more readily and understand the desire to have it returned.

I realize this is a long shot, but, well.... quien sabe? Stranger things have happened in recovering lost/stolen items.

Here's one forum I visit often for ideas on adventurous travel (international and domestic), equipment, modifying my truck camper etc., and to refer people to Nomad when they get the Baja travel bug:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

I believe they have a motorcycle forum.

Suerte!

PS- I was thinking of posting a notice on the forum, and linking to this thread, but I don't speak technical motorcycle so thought it would be best for you to consider this approach.

PPS- is there a small, lo-jack device that could be attached or concealed on a motorcycle to track it? Not just for theft recovery, but in case a rider is lost/injured?

[Edited on 1-27-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.