BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Best combo on road / off road tire is?
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 05:15 PM
Best combo on road / off road tire is?

Just picked up a new Chevy 2500HD. Waited a year and a half for this bad boy to come out.

I'm going to put 20 inch rims on it. What's the best tire?

[Edited on 3-11-2014 by BajaNomad]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 05:41 PM

The one's that get you home.
There are lots of good tires. A lot of opinions here involve, how much are you willing to spend? I don't want spend $225.00 or more per tire so I got this and it works fine. Others buy off-road tires and are upset they put rock through the sidewall. All of my tire issues are because of me, driving to fast, not airing down, not airing up, ect. If you buy a good ($225.00 plus) tier they all will serve you well. General, Goodyear, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Pick one you like.
BTW I am running BFG K/O, now I have run General Grabbers too, I liked them both.

[Edited on 3-11-2014 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 05:51 PM

Make sure to carry your spare tire or two with you in Baja. 20 in tires are rare in baja
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 05:52 PM

I've always used BFGs on my truck and on my buggy. Great tires and have never had a defect or failure that wasn't caused by me.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 06:13 PM

My neighbor works for a large grading contractor and their fleet of pickups runs Generals - I asked about this since I'm a BFG fan and he told me they have tried every top brand and the Generals were tougher. They are also quite a bit more $$ though.

[Edited on 3-11-2014 by 55steve]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 06:14 PM
BFG ATs work well for me

I've been happy with my BFG ATs. I have a relatively small half ton pickup. Mazda B 4000. They are not the stock tires. I think They are 31x10.5 on 15" rims if I read them correctly.

I carry a new spare, locked. Need a better jack tho...

They are relatively quiet and have handled well on the highway, including when the shoulder suddenly drops off just as a large truck is crowding the center line. Nice to have that extra width on the MX hwy 1 for a small sense of added security...

Also have been good on the dirt roads I've been on. I try to avoid mud and sand. They have handled well on washboard, rocks and graded dirt.

So far this year I've put 2200 Baja miles on them with more to come.

Information at http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-ro...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
dirtbikr
Junior Nomad

Mood: start slow....then taper off!

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 07:13 PM

Heard from a tire guy, all tires except cooper tires are made in china, is that true?

If you\'re not living on the EDGE... You\'re taking up too much room! Its never too late for a darkside.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 07:20 PM

Congrats. Nice truck. BFG Baja Champions will look nice on that.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 07:28 PM

i got 23k on my toyo open country at's. total garbage.

i finally went with a good tire that i love. after almost 2 years and 12k they look brand new. rated for 60,000:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/ltx-a-t2-tires

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 07:42 PM

Wow. Just checked cost of 20" BFG AT tires. Big chunk o change...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BOLARNR

Mood: Pasatiempo @ Rincon, BOLA

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 07:45 PM

Nitto Terra Grapplers, 268 E rated 18's - $268 ....add a set ultra bead-lock rims $150. $1,900 down the Camino you go. Don't waste your money on 20's you'll need the cushion when your a pushin.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 08:47 PM

Hankook DynaPro ATm has excellent mud sand snow action and is quiet on the highway. I also had good experience with Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtbikr
Heard from a tire guy, all tires except cooper tires are made in china, is that true?

Country of origin is on the tire. My Toyos were made in Japan and my Hankooks were made in South Korea. All tires I have bought were purchased in America and installed by Americans.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 08:54 PM

20 inch is a bit extreme, why not go more mainstream like 17" or whatever is normal and most affordable. you'll go through some tires and need some new ones on occasion in baja.
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 09:41 PM

Don't waste your money on 20" off road tires, or any size off road tires for that truck. If you go off roading you have to come back sometime and with that wheelbase there isn't room enough in Baja!
You will be challenged to get out of downtown Mulege, not to mention high centered at the crest of the trail!

Pretty Truck
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 09:46 PM

By the way, bring your own wiper blades because they don't sell your style down here.
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 10:16 PM

I've been running Goodyear Wranglers'. We have gotten good mileage and they offer a Kevlar side wall. http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-mtr-kevlar
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 11:30 PM

i think part of the answer will be what you mean by "off road"? Dirt roads, beach roads, and some washboard or crawling up a wash on some serious rocks?

Through the years I've had great luck with BF Goodrich T/A KO ALL Terrain tires and I do a little bit of all of the above.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 02:41 AM

Is it 4WD?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 07:40 AM

I see you got the "kid hanging from driver side" package. They're good for depositing a few pesos into the Red Cross buckets in Colonet. :lol::lol:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.