Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: L.A. Bay to Kino Bay
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 09:22 AM
L.A. Bay to Kino Bay

I am planning an island fishing and camping trip with two friends in mid-April. L.A. Bay to Kino Bay and return. My boat is a 19' Arima Hard Top. 48 gallon fuel tank. (+5 in reserve.) 3 mpg @ 25 mph when loaded. We hope to re-fuel in Kino Bay for the return trip. Any advice would be be appreciated. i.e. is there gas available in Kino for recreational boaters, Is Kino safe or has it been affected by the cartel violence?
My thanks.

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by kevind]
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 09:46 AM

That's a tiny boat for a long trip. You better pick a really good weather window.

No docks at Kino. But you can go into town no problem. I've met up with guys that have brought 150 gallons out in barrels on a panga.

Sonora is probably safer than Baja.
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:15 AM

Thanks JZ. We will not attempt to cross unless the weather window is sufficient. The refuel in Kino sounds problematic but doable.
Again, my thanks.
KD
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:19 AM
Cheap insurance

Carry a SPOT

http://www.findmespot.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:32 AM

You should probably know about this outfit. Good contact when you are within radio reception. Other good info on the Club Deportivo website, too.

http://www.kinobayclubdeportivo.com/rescue-one.html

April can be a very windy month. Pick a time away from the extreme tides, if possible. That week to ten days before the full moon would be my choice. You'd have moon up at night as an added benefit. The safest CLOSE anchorage is out by Isla Alcatraz but there are anchorages at Isla Tiburon are better.

I dont find Kino to be all that interesting of a town. But I understand the challenge of doing the crossing.

I'd probably anchor around Tiburon the night before the refueling, head into Kino in the AM and refuel and then get back to Tiburon.

Will you be crossing from San Francisquito or doing some kind of direct shot from BOLA?

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by Hook]
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:32 AM

Carrying a Spot is great advice thanks! We will have a Sat phone for emergency transmissions as well.

KD
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:37 AM

I presume you have mapped this out on Google Earth; I've done it a gillion times. If you truely island hop, then you are between 110 and 130 miles depending on the route. However, you will add a lot of boat time fishing, exploring etc. It seems to me you will burn about 40 gallons just in the crossing (120 miles / 3 mpg) let alone the fishing, going around some of the smaller islands. In my view you do not have enough fuel.

Hook, who is in San Carlos, may jump in here; those guys do the crossing all the time.

If you are short on deck space for storing more fuel safely, think about your fish box. You won't be using this to store fish on a long trip and you may be able to by a storage tank that will fit.
I have an 18' aluminum w/ 39 gallons and a 4' fish box below deck that can store nearly 20 gallons.

Good luck.
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:49 AM

Hook: We have little interest in Kino. I was there in '62 with my folks and have found no reason to return since. Fuel is the only draw. Thanks of the tip about "rescue one" I printed-out their info page and will keep it close. I like your suggestion about the moon. Not sure yet about departure point.
Thanks!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:52 AM

By the way, this is a very sea worthy boat. There are many of them in Nor Cal.
[img][/img]
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:54 AM

Sound to me that I will need extra fuel. Yes I have flown it on Google Earth a number of times. Appears to me that there are very few protected anchorages on the islands. Thanks for the advice regarding fish box/gas storage.
KD
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 10:57 AM

Yep that's the boat. Mine is older and has the Yamaha 115 HP along with a 9.9 Honda. I have found it to be a very capable boat although noisy in chop.
KD
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 11:40 AM

There MIGHT be a way to take on fuel at Cala San Francisquito. Others will know more about that than me. You could inquire here in a separate post. At least it could be possible for a boat with rather meager needs like yours. Are other boats going with you? If so, what are their fuel needs?

If it is just your boat, it might even be possible to convince a BOLA local to drive fuel down to the cala at SFQ and then refuel there. You might only need 5-7, five gallon containers. Those might be safer for a local to transport on the road to SFQ than a large 55 gallon drum. Refill and send them on their way with the empties. As I recall it's about 50 miles by water from BOLA to SFQ. Easy refueling in almost all weather inside the cala. Possibly you could have them meet you again on the way back, if necessary.

And the cruise down to SFQ is quite beautiful, especially if you island hop the midriff islands on the way down. That would probably add 20+ miles, though. Still, hugging the coast is nice, too.

To go from SFQ to Kino is only about 55 miles, one way. Maybe overnight in the cala at SFQ, cross the next day early, explore along the way and then anchor at Bahia de los Perros at Tiburon for a night. That's about 35 miles, I think.

One other thing. You mention getting 3mpg @ 25 mph, fully loaded. Figure out what you consume if you arent at perfect cruising speed (which I assume that speed is close to it). What will you burn if you are forced to do half that speed by sea conditions?

JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevind
Sound to me that I will need extra fuel. Yes I have flown it on Google Earth a number of times. Appears to me that there are very few protected anchorages on the islands. Thanks for the advice regarding fish box/gas storage.
KD

Get Gerry Cunningham's book on the area if you don't have it. There is a wicked rock somewhere around Tibruon (dead man's rock?).

Dog Bay is one of the best anchorages on Tiburon. Although the last time there the wind shifted in the night and we had to get up and move in pitch darkness. All I could think about was that damn rock from Gerry's book! ;D

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by JZ]
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

If it is just your boat, it might even be possible to convince a BOLA local to drive fuel down to the cala at SFQ and then refuel there.

Might?? This is Mexico. You can find someone to do that in 5mins. I'd do that for sure.
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 12:49 PM

This is great advice! Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experience.
KD
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 01:30 PM

I've been tempted by Tiburon while fishing Isla Salsipedues - it looked totally close enough to make it in my 17' CC.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
This is great advice! Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experience.
KD

4 or 5 years ago (an eon in Baja time) we motored from BOLA to the Cala - about 4 hours at 24mph which is my sweet spot. We walked across the 'airport' to the the main buildings and ordered fuel for the next day. Someone drove into GN that afternoon and brought back fuel for us so that in the morning we could top off. Not sure if that is available anymore as the camp has pretty much gone as far as I know.
There is a seldom used military encampment in the Cala that is a great place to over night plus some retired firefighters who have some cabins there. If you go at extreem tides bring a lot of rope. A lot. I had a 100' rope and woke to my boat sitting in mud at new moon.
This is old info so please first check this out before you rely on it.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 07:07 PM

Check your U2U's....I sent ya a message.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
KD

4 or 5 years ago (an eon in Baja time) we motored from BOLA to the Cala - about 4 hours at 24mph which is my sweet spot. We walked across the 'airport' to the the main buildings and ordered fuel for the next day. Someone drove into GN that afternoon and brought back fuel for us so that in the morning we could top off. Not sure if that is available anymore as the camp has pretty much gone as far as I know.
There is a seldom used military encampment in the Cala that is a great place to over night plus some retired firefighters who have some cabins there. If you go at extreem tides bring a lot of rope. A lot. I had a 100' rope and woke to my boat sitting in mud at new moon.
This is old info so please first check this out before you rely on it.
:(

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 08:17 PM

Well, not quite that bad but you get the picture.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.