Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Popolta Fishing Village in Rosarito area
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 01:39 PM
Popolta Fishing Village in Rosarito area

We were looking to do something different this weekend. We have gotten ourselves in a rut of either going to Guadalupe Valley, playing golf at Baja Mar or just hanging out at the beach and gong out for dinner when we have visitors come down with us. We thought we would branch out and try for some of the real local experience so next weekend when we have visitores we can take them somewhere different instead.
Went to Popolta and had an amazing lunch on the beach. A whole rock cod prepared for us on the bbq, a couple beers and some pismo clams. $20. One of the best meals I have had in a long time and the friendliest people. My husband speaks decent Spanish so we ended up meeting locals and sharing a table.
If you are in ROsarito area, seriously consider going down to the beach for the experience. Next time I am going to try the crab, as that seemed to be pretty popular also. Got some camarones tamales to take home as well.
I think we stayed away from there for some time beacause of all the talk during the cartel times and heard that it was a bit crazy down there. Very family oriented now. May always have been and we just got bad info before.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 02:00 PM

I too, have never been to Popotla in 35 yrs. of the
weekend Rosarito/Ensenada trips. Been meaning to
stop there. Popotla has the,
I believe, the earned reputation of being the staging/launching
area for Pangas heading no., which go as far no. as
the Central Coast of Ca., smuggling humans/weed, but
I imagine that is in la noche. But Baja wouldn't be as
interesting without a bit of suspense, an edge to it
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 02:41 PM

usually about once a week i'll wander down to the beach(I always park up on free road) just to see what they're catching and people watch. I never eat there but it always looks good! but make no mistake, the place is loaded with seedy hombres, there isn't anything that can't be had there, and violence is rampant even mid day.
im not saying don't go there and enjoy yourself, just be aware.

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by willardguy]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-23-2014 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
the place is loaded with seedy hombres, there isn't anything that can't be had there, and violence is rampant even mid day.

:lol::lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 11:42 AM
Willardguy - Are You Saying

That you don't want obnoxious tourists to mess up the place? :)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
but make no mistake, the place is loaded with seedy hombres, there isn't anything that can't be had there, and violence is rampant even mid day.

You are joking right?

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 12:33 PM
Hi. apple

Willardguy is not kidding.

The Popotla fishing village has been infamous for human and drug smuggling across the border.

We never go there because we can't park close and watch our car.

But, they do have great. fresh seafood.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 05:17 PM

Parking was wasy, we got their early could have parked on the beach right in front of the place we ate. We chose to park in the 50 peso lot as we didn't want to hassle with the intense traffic to get to the beach. Lots of security around, including uniformed cops.
Wneh Anthony Bourdin was in Northern Baja year and a half ago he did a little episode. That was what ultimately inspired us to give it a try.
Maybe Sundays are the best day to go even though it was crazy busy with all the families around
here is the episode that inspired us
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHJqNMna2JA
we did not have the spider crab or the lobster though.

another link tha inspired us to go
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2012/09/popotla_baj...

looking forward to our next visit but will heed the advise of others and keep our vilegence up.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 08:03 AM

I have been there many times. Weedends are busy and the summer weekends are very busy. The only problem with the crowds is the parking. I normally drive my motorcycle so it's easy for me. But when I have my car and it's crowded, I go as far as I can before dropping down on the beach and turn left into the little parking area along the fence. 5 dllrs but there's only about 10 spaces so you will need to wait for a spot. On a busy day there will be cars parked all the way up to the free road and along the free road shoulder.

I prefer to go during the weekdays when there are only a handfull of people there and then I drive onto the beach and park. I like to watch people drive thru the salt water or get stuck in the sand.

I think the food is good although there's no handwashing sinks (for the cook) but that's Mexico and I am happy to be there : )

So, although there's not much parking, no handwashing and long waits for service, I like it and I like to go there. When my american culture requires that I have all the things listed above, I go down the road to Puerta Nuevo and eat at the restaurant on the cliff over the water.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 09:05 AM

What "beach" are you talking about? There are alot of rocks and water. I have one of those new clubs on my steering wheel they are a great deterrent and are a must leaving your car anywhere, even in the US if it will be unattended for a while. I might go down there today, true the seafood is fresh and while the area is definitely rundown, you can get some great deals. Thanks for the update.
Quote:
Originally posted by skipowell
Parking was wasy, we got their early could have parked on the beach right in front of the place we ate. We chose to park in the 50 peso lot as we didn't want to hassle with the intense traffic to get to the beach. Lots of security around, including uniformed cops.
Wneh Anthony Bourdin was in Northern Baja year and a half ago he did a little episode. That was what ultimately inspired us to give it a try.
Maybe Sundays are the best day to go even though it was crazy busy with all the families around
here is the episode that inspired us
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHJqNMna2JA
we did not have the spider crab or the lobster though.

another link tha inspired us to go
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2012/09/popotla_baj...

looking forward to our next visit but will heed the advise of others and keep our vilegence up.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I have one of those new clubs on my steering wheel they are a great deterrent and are a must leaving your car anywhere, even in the US if it will be unattended for a while.

Almost useless for a crook with bolt cutters. One quick cut through the soft metal of a steering wheel and the Club is off. You'll find it on the ground where your car was parked.
A better choice is a kill-switch along with a good insurance policy.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 09:11 AM
weekend at Popotla

Just south of the point the restaurants are located at.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Just south of the point the restaurants are located at.

That is pure crazy.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 09:45 AM

That's the civilized part, the parking along the fox studio's wall is lunacy.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I have been there many times. Weedends are busy

Freudian slip???
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 11:15 AM

Wow you guys are observant. Obviously the afternoon Margaritas haven't kicked in. Pretty funny.
Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I have been there many times. Weedends are busy

Freudian slip???
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 11:19 AM

how does a kill switch work?
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I have one of those new clubs on my steering wheel they are a great deterrent and are a must leaving your car anywhere, even in the US if it will be unattended for a while.

Almost useless for a crook with bolt cutters. One quick cut through the soft metal of a steering wheel and the Club is off. You'll find it on the ground where your car was parked.
A better choice is a kill-switch along with a good insurance policy.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-28-2014 at 11:25 AM

it interrupts the electrical circuit on your ignition circuit. it is literally a on/off switch that is usually hidden in the passenger compartment. when YOU want to start your car you turn the switch on and it allows the ignition to start the car. when you leave you turn it off.

the turd trying to hotwire your car will usually give up after a minute of trying to start the car.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-29-2014 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
there isn't anything that can't be had there,

..including illegal out of season and undersize lobsters. The police are there watching those transaction and once you buy them they are in your possession and you are the one going to jail; not the seller.

Bob Durrell
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 10:02 AM

We went down there yesterday (Sunday) afternoon and it was quite a sight to behold. Tons of cars parked on the beach and families playing in the surf. We had a nice meal on the beach and enjoyed the spectacle. It was very busy but had a family atmosphere and we never felt unsafe or like anything was out of control.
Definitely a lot more exciting and less touristy than Puerto Nuevo

Also went to Los Arenales and rode some quads and it was super fun.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.