Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Breakfast in Tecate
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 02:49 AM
Breakfast in Tecate

We drove out to Tecate to get our FMM's in advance of an upcoming trip. We parked at the first parking lot on the right side approaching the border crossing. $5 all day.

The FMM's were 306 pesos/$24 ea. U.S. at 12.5+-. No wait, 10 minutes later we were on our way.

During the toy drive at Christmas, Fernando (fdt) mentioned a bakery in Tecate, El Mejor pan de Tecate, and I made a mental note. We thought we would give it a try this morning. It is about 2 blocks east of the plaza on business Rt 2 on the north side of the street. We each had a "Danish" pastry and a coffee and it cost 60 pesos. A very tasty bargain, and it's enjoyable to sit outside and watch the world go by.

We then just took an hour walk around town. I'm always taking photos of murals in Mexico this trip was no exception.

Walking back across the border there was no one ahead of us in line and it took a total of 4 minutes.

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by tripledigitken]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 06:18 AM

Tecate is a really neat town....Way back we had a contract to install some process control computers and spent a couple of weeks there. Sitting in the park, playing dominos with the geezers,watching the people...enjoying the many lil places to eat..thanks for the pics...

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 06:34 AM

Great images! What lens were you using?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 06:39 AM

That's a nice day ! Thanks for sharing . :tumble:
Rainer
Junior Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 06:48 AM

Makes me want to go - RIGHT NOW. (Stuck in Houston)
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Great images! What lens were you using?

Thanks monoloco. All the shots were taken with a Zeiss 16-70 F4 on a Sony NEX-7.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

During the toy drive at Christmas, Fernando (fdt) mentioned a bakery in Tecate, El Mejor pan de Tecate, and I made a mental note. We thought we would give it a try this morning. It is about 2 blocks east of the plaza on business Rt 2 on the north side of the street. We each had a "Danish" pastry and a coffee and it cost 60 pesos. A very tasty bargain, and it's enjoyable to sit outside and watch the world go by.

Glad you liked it. BTW regardless of what pastries you buy, the coffee is free. And yes, part of the magic of Tecate is just sitting (specialy at the park) and watching the world go by.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 09:52 AM

Nice photos Ken... as always!

So, like me in 2012, you are getting the FMMs, going back to the USA and returning to Mexico a few days later... Enjoy the rage you might get from the fringe here! :lol: :light::wow:;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

So, like me in 2012, you are getting the FMMs, going back to the USA and returning to Mexico a few days later... Enjoy the rage you might get from the fringe here! :lol: :light::wow:;D

We've been getting them before our week+ long trips south for 5 years. It really ruins your day when you're leaving on a trip, with time scheduled from work, only to find on day one the migration office is shuttered. We no longer head to BCS without the FMM's. We do enough day trips to BCN that it's no big deal.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 10:07 AM

Exactly... ;)

PS You hear from Roy? I asked Doug to go get his computer issues resolved, and I still haven't seen a post from him.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 11:08 AM

I just don't have that "Nando" charm. Perhaps if we bought more than 2 items??? Still a bargain. Thanks for recommending them

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

Glad you liked it. BTW regardless of what pastries you buy, the coffee is free. And yes, part of the magic of Tecate is just sitting (specialy at the park) and watching the world go by.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 12:03 PM
Tecate, Si

Back in the 50s, when I was still in High School, a bunch of us used to go to Tecate on Friday nights. Because the border closed at 11:00 (same as now) we always parked on the US side and if we got out of the bar later than 11 we just climbed over the gate to get to my car.
Sure enough the US border patrol guys heard us one night and came running out of the office (trailer). So everyone jumped in my car and I popped the clutch to make a quick get away and broke the right rear axel (this was a 1950 Ford coupe but the flathead engine had been bored out to 265 CID and it had Edelbrock heads, 2 Stromberg 97 carbs, headers and dual coil ignition). After the BP checked our IDs they let us use their phone to call someone to come and tow us back to Lemon Grove. Bet that wouldn't happen today.

Bob Durrell
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 01:22 PM

The whole wheat bolillos at El Mejor Pan are great. In fact I think it is some of the best bread I have ever had.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 01:39 PM

if you would have waited till today you could have had breakfast with the desert assassins! :lol: https://www.facebook.com/RipToCabo
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

We've been getting them before our week+ long trips south for 5 years. It really ruins your day when you're leaving on a trip, with time scheduled from work, only to find on day one the migration office is shuttered. We no longer head to BCS without the FMM's. We do enough day trips to BCN that it's no big deal.

Easy for you guys. But, as someone who lives almost an hour and a half from the border, it doesn't make sense for me. That said, we've never had much of a delay headed South getting the FMM.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 06:45 PM

Hey Ken...all the photos are awesome, but the photo of the kid on the razor is my favorite.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Hey Ken...all the photos are awesome, but the photo of the kid on the razor is my favorite.

Thanks, that little guy was ripping around the band stand.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 07:00 PM

Can I fit my F150 and 22 ft travel trailer in that first lot when I go to get my papers?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 07:24 PM

Cliffy,

I don't think so. I would suggest turning left at the "y" intersection just past the casa de cambio on the left then immediately on your left is a lot that might work.

Ken
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:21 AM

I misunderstood, I thought we were having some Tecate's for breakfast:biggrin:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.