Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick Sierra Question
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 12:14 AM
Quick Sierra Question

In regards to the area between Gonzaga Bay and Bahia de los Angeles...when do the Sierra show up? I realize there is no exact date but is April too early?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 05:59 AM

I think so - I don't recall getting sierra until May, and late May at that.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
In regards to the area between Gonzaga Bay and Bahia de los Angeles...when do the Sierra show up? I realize there is no exact date but is April too early?

Wish I could provide up to date info for Gonzaga Bay & BOLA as of today, but I can recall that they were definitely there by Apri in the pastl...and I doubt if they have changed their movements too much since then. You should be good to go.

Here's a sad photo of sierra netted in Bahia de Concepcion that will never make the trip again...anywhere. This was in December of 2009. The netters took over 10 tons of them in just a few days. Have not seen many since....

Hope it's good fishing for you up there in April.

Hmm...can't get this photo to load...hang on. Ah...got it.

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 10:01 AM

Sierra used to be plentiful with large schools in the shallow bays around Loreto in the 90's and early 00's.

Nowadays you pick up the occasional stragler, but the large schools are mainly history.:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:12 PM

Yikes. Those pics are painful...especially for a fish that is so lousy as to travel/freezing...and yet so stunning when fresh. Hands down one of my faves for a variety of reasons. Will definitely report back after the trip...thanks!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 11:27 PM
POmpano

Hola,,you are without question are the most looked at post here for many reasons !! and thanks for all the joy,,smiles and thoughts that you have brought me and many,,many others,,,THAT pic...Ahum>>>of a captain........Give me a break...captain...RAPING the sea of cortez..tears me UP !! tired of gringos calling a pango owner/op a captain....theres the same thing to be said of a fisherman and someone that rips the sea's.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Quite sad.

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by Pompano]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 07:09 AM

Question to RHT: How do you prepare the Sierras? I mean from the moment they come over the gunnels? The one time I kept them for smoking I kept them in an ice/water slurry for a few hours before getting back to camp and then started the brining process for the smoker.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 07:35 AM

I bleed them when caught, then put them in the cooler, very much like dorado and then fillet off a side with the skin left on. A quick brushing with olive oil and sprinkle a little lemon pepper on the meat side and they are wonderful.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 07:48 AM

We used them mainly in ceviche.
Since they are very soft they make delicious ceviche.
And since they are oily they should be great smoked, although I've never tried that.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 08:09 AM

Like all fish that we catch and intend to eat... they are bled and iced immediately. For sierra dining, we've done well with smoking, ceviche, or just fillets in the oven or pan. You really can't go wrong with any recipe. I lean towards pan frying a dusted fillet as soon as we reach home port.

One of my neighbors is a grand master at smoking sierra....and barracuda. When the scent is on the wind, I visit with cold beers.

Here's some sierra ceviche for you.

[Edited on 4-6-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Question to RHT: How do you prepare the Sierras? I mean from the moment they come over the gunnels? The one time I kept them for smoking I kept them in an ice/water slurry for a few hours before getting back to camp and then started the brining process for the smoker.

Yeah..they are a bit bloody and should be bled and iced if you can (not always an easy call on the Cortez in the heat)...a few big Sierra in our little Valco and it looks like an Alfred Hitchc-ck movie!

At Gonzaga we have caught them and a local made us some ceviche in return for some extras and it was the "paste" style...for lack of a better term...not chunks but more of a tuna salad...it was delicious! When fresh as sashimi it is to die for...right up there with any of em. Otherwise smoked or just pan fried with butter and garlic. Not to mention one of the easiest fish (if not THE) to filet... a real keeper (unless you are hauling them in by the ton to rot in a truck on the way to Ranch 99 markets.)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.