BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali to Guerrero Negro, Express
Ontiveros737

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 07:53 AM
Mexicali to Guerrero Negro, Express

Hello everyone, I just come back from an awesome experience in “La Baja”, I know this trip was so fast that I can´t wait to do it again but, with more time.
I had I mind the possibility of visit San Luis Gonzaga on thursday and come back to Mexicali the next day but, my dad and I share the car he told me that he would need it until Saturday morning and I could be free of work if a had finish a proyect by Wednesday. Then I thought would be better travel from San Luis Gonzaga stay for a night, then continue to the Transpeniunsular road and go the north to come home.
I checked plenty of places to stay on the internet, and I found interesting information about La baja in the forum. I was worried about gas stations, and the way from San Luis Gonzaga to the Transpeniunsular road, but I know that my car wouldn’t give me any problems since it had a recent repair in the engine and I bought off road tires last year, I haven’t never drive it off the road.

On wednesday I was free at 2pm, so I went home and load all the stuff we would need, Cooler, Sodas, tunas, fruits, vegetables, tent, pillows, a gas tank, tools, gas stove etc etc.
My friend arrive my home by 5:00pm and by 6 we were in the kilometer 8 to San Felipe. I filled my Nissan gas tank and another one; I had 17 Liter extra so I wasn’t that afraid if San Luis Gonzaga gas station was closed. My odometer was 301,300km.
At 8 pm we arrive to San Felipe and again filled it up, 28 L. Odometer: 301,492km
I had never gone any further from San Felipe so I was a little concern about the next road. It is a new road, 158km with new signs, and all that a road requires. We arrive at 10pm to San luis Gonzaga and went to the store to buy an space for camping. The cost was 50 pesos and the space was aprox 7x7m maybe more anyway, the car and tent were inside the line.
While we were resting and drinking a couple beers we decided to drive all the way to Guerrero Negro and look for a place to stay, maybe cross the state and return to Bahia de los Angeles, but Laguna Ojo de liebre sound more interesting.

We woke up at 8am, stopped at the gas station filled it up and continue with the trip. 21L Odometer: 301,658.

The guy from the gas station recommended me to reduce the tire pressure, but I wasn’t sure of find will find a gas station or compressor when we arrive to the intersection. I knew that the nearest gas station would be at 100km to the south and 180km driving to north. I decided to drive it like that.

IMG_7177 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7185 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7187 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7194 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7195 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

People from the Mexico city damaging the image of the rocks, they don´t even know how to write correctly “Bienvenidos”.

IMG_7216 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

Those were 55km off the road, but my car is not 4x4, and I was driving slowly; I did 3 hours. I was surprised of seeing many cars going to San Luis, only one truck passed me.

IMG_7222 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7239 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7266 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7267 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

When we were a 15 km from the intersection with the Transpeniunsular road, I met a guy who was using his bike he told me that he started from the intersection and he planned arriving to Mexicali on Sunday. I wished him good luck and success.

IMG_7252 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7253 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7268 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7278 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We arrive to the intersection at 12pm and turn to the left.

IMG_7281 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7290 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7299 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7331 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We stopped few km before Guerrero Negro to eat some. I didn’t know that crossing the border to Baja California Sur they had to fumigate below the car.

IMG_7341 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We drive few blocks into Guerrero Negro and got gas, I asked to the sir about a place to stay and he told me about some cheap hotels, but we were more interested in camping, and Laguna Ojo de Liebre wasn’t that far. 29.3 L odometer, 301,880km

IMG_7456 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

2 cars were approaching the exit to the road and I asked them how was it, they told me that there were many families and it was free, there were only 18km. In the km 8 was a security guard and was asking for the drivers name.

IMG_7453 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We continue driving, but after 5 minutes we looked at the map and we could see any lagoon or sea entrance in the gps, we decided to return and ask for another place to stay. They told us it was a good place to stay and it was no more than 30 minutes to get there. It was the best option it was almost 3:30pm and I wanted to rest. They were right, an amazing place to be at!
We did a walk and came back to eat dinner.

IMG_7369 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7370 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7374 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7393 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7405 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7430 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7438 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We had to come back all the way to Mexicali, 900km aprox 10hrs, we thought in spent the night in Ensenada, in Rancho San Carlos, it was a good option near home.
We woke up at 7:40am and by 8:40 we were in the intersection with the Transpeniunsular road. We filled it up the tank again in Guerrero Negro at 9:30am, 12 L Odometer, 301, 967km.

IMG_7444 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7458 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7471 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7487 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7499 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7503 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7534 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7552 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

I was trying to pay attention for the gas station in Punta Prieta but I didn’t notice we passed it until we were in the intersection to the off road way to San Luis Gonzaga. I had enough gas to continue, so I wasn’t worried. The next gas station might was in el Rosario, or in San Quintín.
At Chapala,

IMG_7568 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

On the internet I found Rancho Santa Ynes and when the plan was driving from San Luis Gonzaga to the intersection and turn to right instead to left I considered it a good option to spent the night
In cataviña at 12pm, we stopped for a walk and see some cave paintings. Accidentally lit the fog lights and then 40 minutes back to the car I realized, fortunately the car was down a hill, I turned on with some difficulties at first, then everything was ok.

IMG_7587 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7588 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7589 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7590 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7596 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7601 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7637 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7641 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7655 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We stopped in San Quintin for gas and some Fish tacos. I used my 17 extra Liters and bought 29.7 more. Odometer 302, 350km.

IMG_7663 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

IMG_7673 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

We wanted to stop in Ensenada for the night, but the Rancho was Little bit away from the road and we weren’t far away from home, I decided to continue to Mexicali after pass by the main street in Ensenada.

IMG_7679 por Carlos-1630, en Flickr

I did my last refuel in Ensenada, at 9pm, 22L, Odometer, 302,539km
I was in Tecate at 10:30pm, La rumorosa at 11:15pm and Mexicali by 12pm. Odometer: 302,759.
Im pretty sure I drive more km since I modified the size of the original tires, it should be using rims of 14”, but looks better with the 235/75/R15.

Thanks for your forum and I really appreciate how much you guys are interested in La baja!

[Edited on 4-21-2014 by Ontiveros737]

[Edited on 4-21-2014 by BajaNomad]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:03 AM

I loved this report!. Nice photos and good times. Thanks for taking the time to post it all! I need to check out the cave paintings some day.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:05 AM

Oh, and vien venidos to Nomad!! JK. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ontiveros737

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:32 AM

Come on! haha,

Thanks!

And the cave paintings was not that spectacular, What I enjoyed most from that place was the view, I think it was the only place I saw Palms and Cactus.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:53 AM

Welcome

and

WOW! Great trip report!

Looking forward to your next one.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:56 AM

Thank you for sharing your photos and trip report with us. Welcome to Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 12:40 PM

Bienvenidos a bajanomad y mil gracias por sus fotos y report!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 03:09 PM

Thank you BajaNomad for sizing these great photos to within the Nomad limit of 800 pixels! Sideways scrolling is no fun, and neither is reducing screen imgages that make the text too small to read easily!

If I knew Flickr, I would post the how to... as I have for Photobucket. There must be an upload size selection for Flickr as there is for Photobucket?

Ontiveros737, we are talking about the pixels of your photos... us poorer Nomads who are on standard 15" monitors need to scroll to the right when people post photos bigger than 800 pixels wide... to see all of the photo and read each line of text in the thread.

Love your trip report, and that was great to make it your first post on Nomad! The web host here manually sized your photos so as not to stretch the thread off the screen. Flickr should have some upload options to set a size when you upload from you computer to Flickr?

It seems Nomads mostly use Photobucket for photo hosting. I have posted a 'how to' on the first post in the Photo Gallery forum.

Again thanks for your post and welcome to Nomad!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 03:46 PM

Crazy great trip!! Photos and story were a great Baja fix! Thanks!
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 04:14 PM

Welcome Ontiveros. This is what Baja Nomads is about....Gracias!:bounce::bounce:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 05:03 PM

Wonderful photos. But I guess that you were too late in the season to go out and see the whales. But I thought that access to Ojo de Liebre was year round. Is that not true?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 05:24 PM

fantastic trip report ! we all take the spraying under the car for granted.....we forget to tell new folks. There used to be an immigration checkpoint there too, not any more.

My favorite pics

1. the birds. love that they fade into the distance
2. Ensenada at night ... really nice.

Thanks for taking the time to post photos and write the report!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 05:27 PM

The salt company has (in the past) only opened their gates across their 'mine' during the whale season. Travelers to Malarrimo Beach or Tortugas would get permission from the mine office in Guerrero Negro in order to short cut around the lagoon in the days before Hwy. 1 was built (1973).

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 10:17 PM

Exellent trip report,great pictures
welcome to BN..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 01:11 PM

Great report...has me day dreaming at work about my next trip down in June.

Ontiveros737

[*] posted on 4-23-2014 at 09:50 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, I didn't know about the correct sizes of the pictures to post, but once I know that isn't gonna happen again.

Bajahowodd, well, there were many companies offering the tour to see the whales. I didnt see too many tourists in Guerrero Negro but one of the companies had already sold all their seats.

I was looking for an option in flickr to automatically resize a photo during the upload but they dont have it.

I can do a tutorial for those who wants to share their photos from flickr.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ontiveros737
Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, I didn't know about the correct sizes of the pictures to post, but once I know that isn't gonna happen again.

Bajahowodd, well, there were many companies offering the tour to see the whales. I didnt see too many tourists in Guerrero Negro but one of the companies had already sold all their seats.

I was looking for an option in flickr to automatically resize a photo during the upload but they dont have it.

I can do a tutorial for those who wants to share their photos from flickr.

You can go back and edit the post adding captions under each photo. Use Preview to see how it looks before posting.

I would think all hosting sites have a way to set the upload size (Nomad width is 800 pixels, so 640 or 800 are two good sizes here. Photobucket is free, why not use it if you can't find the flickr upload options for size?

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 05:35 AM

Loved the report and photos.
Thanks for sizing the photos, Doug, so all could enjoy.

Hurry back to Baja, Carlos. Looking forward to many more trip reports from you.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 06:40 PM

Anyone catch the image of what I thought was Willie Nelson in the cloud? It's the 9th one down, or IMG 7216. Maybe someone else can see a different image. Great photo's. Thanks.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 4-27-2014 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Anyone catch the image of what I thought was Willie Nelson in the cloud? It's the 9th one down, or IMG 7216. Maybe someone else can see a different image. Great photo's. Thanks.

What where you smoking and I will try it too and look at the photo?

Or was Willie smoken it?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.