Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CONCHAS Y VINO NUEVO EVENT, ENSENADA, 2014
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 01:59 PM
CONCHAS Y VINO NUEVO EVENT, ENSENADA, 2014

The CONCHAS Y VINO NUEVO event is an annual one hosted by the PRO VINO organizers, the Northern Baja restaurants, and the locally grown vineyards in the area.
On Saturday, the event organizers hosted a cooking demonstration and wine pairings. Each cooking demo and pairing cost about $30.00 pesos each, but the demos were hosted by tops chefs and wineries from the Guadalupe Valley (between Ensenada and Tecate).

The event costs $400 pesos (or about $30.00USD per person.
It is an all you can eat and drink event for the money.
Jana and I got to a little over half of the booths and literally could not down any more wine or eat any more mollusks, or wine. Indeed we were glad it was a long walk back to the parking area.

The offered foods were oysters, mussels, many varieties of clams, conchs, and abalone. Plus they also offered many gourmet breads, soups, stews, and bisques.
The photos were taken in sort of a chronological order, and the event took place in front of the marina at the Coral hotel, the finishing point for the Newport Beach to Ensenada, Mexico boat race. The very large trimaran in the photos was the barn door winner.
Near the beginning of the photos is a large display of seafood that was brought for display at the event. Except for the fish, all other critters were live and from local areas (yes, including the crabs, who were constantly moving).

The photos were taken in sort of a chronological order, and the event took place in front of the marina at the Coral hotel, the finishing point for the Newport Beach to Ensenada, Mexico boat race. The very large trimaran in the photos was the barn door winner.
Near the beginning of the photos is a large display of seafood that was brought for display at the event. Except for the fish, all other critters were live and from local areas (yes, including the crabs, who were constantly moving).

The open pit roasted suckling was prepared for demonstration purposes only.

Some restaurant even brought samples to one's tables!

Cute couple that sort of reminded me of an elder Abby Sciuto and husband, in reverse of her regular outfits on NCIS.
(BTW, my wine glass got in the way of the lens)

I own four different sizes of paella pans, but not one is as large as this one!

If you wish to see ALL the photos I took (about 150), they are all posted in my Facebook page. There, posting a photo is easy...just highlight the first photo, highlight the last, and post as an album. In two minutes everything is done automatically for you. On Nomad, it takes me two hours do post what I just did.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 02:08 PM

I was there too... an absolutely amazing value for $32 USD. I must've eaten more than two dozen lobsters, plus seafood pozole, plus paella, plus mussels... and enough wine to sink a ship.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 02:43 PM

Doesn't like too many people were there (at that time of day anyway)

Bob Durrell
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 02:51 PM

All the restaurant booths were out of food by 3:30 p.m., Bob! The only thing left was the wine.

Udo

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 02:01 PM

That happens all the time—I call it Mexican Festival Problems. The Vendimias were even worse—the Gran Muestra de Vinos was supposed to sell out at 500 people and they let 2100 in, so you couldn't move and all the food was gone in literally forty minutes.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 03:12 PM

That is why it pays to get to the events really early.

Udo

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 03:39 PM

"That is why it pays to get to the events really early. "

And I guess that's why nobody on Nomads posts about the event IN ADVANCE. :rolleyes:

Agree with Durrell; the attendance looked pretty sparse. Probably just bad planning on the food. That seems to happen at festivals over here, too.

[Edited on 4-30-2014 by Hook]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 04:17 PM

Bob I drove by there and there was parking all down the outside of the road to Hotel Papagayos and it was swamped about 12 noon, more parking on the beach.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Doesn't like too many people were there (at that time of day anyway)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.