Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great time in Bahia Asuncion to Chivato
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 11:05 AM
Great time in Bahia Asuncion to Chivato

Just got back from a great trip to our home in Punta Chivato with a couple of side trips.

We left on Sat May 3rd from San Diego at about 9 am, Stopped and got our (prepaid from Discover Baja) visa's stampped at the new immigration office at the San Ysidro crossing and were on the toll road a few minutes after crossing over. The new crossing is fast ans simple

the traffic on the toll road and free road to Ensenada was brutal as there was a bike race going on and so lots of cars, spectators, and activity. The free road detour was very slow moving with lots of cars and trucks but we didnt let it get us down and we just went with the flow.

We stopped in the afternoon for a great lunch at Momma Espinoza's and had fantastic Jaiba burritos and great conversation with the family. Momma is 107 now. I have been stopping here for my entire life and have never had a bad meal or time and we probably eat there 5-10 times a year.

Got to GN pretty late but the bar and restuarant at Malarrimo were still open and we had a fantastic although way overpriced meal, the price might have had something to do with the 20+ margarita's the 6 of us drank. I continue to think the rooms are very dated and we will definitly be trying one of the other options in town next time there are just too many other options now.

Next morning we made our way to Asuncion. The road is paved all the way and it was a very easy drive. I had arrainged with Shari before to rent the Beach house from her and we had a great time. Vagabundo helps keep an eye on the place for her and we had a good time meeting him. Had great shrimp taco's in town with Shari, Juan, and Vagubundo and learned alot about the town, the Co op, and the area in general. The town has a lot going for it and it is nice to see a Baja town doing well. Asuncion has a baseball stadium that has field turf and while we were there we went to a "professional" baseball game between the Bronco's (Bahia Tortuga) and the Pescadores (Punta Prieta). We were the only gringos in the stands with about 400-500 locals and had a great time. Everyone around us wanted to speak with us and we tried our Spanish on them and they practiced their english on us. Everyone was super friendly and the game was a lot of fun. When my wife had to go to the restroom they insisted they take her and they even put her to the front of the line they said because she was a guest in thier town.

Shari's place that we rented was great, right on the beach and very clean with plenty of room for all 6 of us plus our 2 large dogs for the night. She has it stocked with everything you could need and we will definitly be staying there again. We went up and saw the blowhole in front of her hotel, and did some exploring around the tidepools. We were very impressed with Asuncion and the people in the town, lots of friendly people and all seemed very welcoming. I was also amazed at how strong economically the town seemed to be. The fishing industry has been good to that part of the coast and it seems like the Co Op has the right idea in managing the fishery for future generations. I'm sure as with everything there are lots of politics but they have the right idea thats for sure. It certainly stood in stark contrast to the fishery management (or lack there of in the Sea of Cortez) were it seems like every fishing village is struggling and the sea is not being managed at all.

We left the next morning and drove down the coast stopping along the way often to explore and see some of the towns. Punta Prieta, Hippolitto, La Bocana, and finally Abreojos where we had a late lunch. The road down the coast was mostly dirt roads which were in prety good shape as the Co op's maintain them so the seafood can be transported more easily. South of Punta Prieta we took the coast road which was awesome. The road from La Bocana south to Abrejos we took the salt flats as the local's said it was fine and that ended up being a 60+ MPH drive smoother than the highways up here.

We did not know this but the road from Abreojos to Hwy 1 is completly paved although there were a few sections with huge potholes. We were at our house in Punta Chivato by 6 that evening and settled in to enjoy a great week of swimming, snorkeling, stand up Paddle boarding, riding dirtbikes, fixing things around the house, visiting with neighbors, and basically just being disconnected from the world north. We went down to Coyote bay one day and had lunch at Ana's at Playa Santispec (great carne and shrimp taco's) and went in to town for some supplies.

On the way home we decided to cross at Tecate and our wait was 20 minutes, Saturday night at about 7:30. This is the first time I have crossed there in about 6 years but I am tired of waiting 2-3 hours at Otay or SY so even though it is a little further it was well worth it and we will be crossing there again.

Weather was great all week low 80's during the day although it did get down to the low 60's at night. It was a bit windy but the usual calm mornings windy afternoons then calm again, Although I think one day it was windy all day.

Water seemed warmer for this time of year than usual and there were still plenty of sting rays so make sure you shuffle when entering and exiting the water.

Hwy 1 was in good shape with only a few constrction spots and the pavement work done over the last few years is holding up OK although you can tell it is about to start showing it age soon.

The checkpoints were in the normal spots and were quick and painless the usual questions and the quick look in the car. Having two large dogs in the back helps with the quick search as they never want any part of the back of the Suburban and they havent asked me in years to take them out of the car.

All in all a perfect trip and we got to see a few new places.

[Edited on 5-12-2014 by mooose29]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 11:42 AM

Sorry we missed your stop in La Bocana and glad you had such a nice trip!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 11:51 AM

I am so pleased that you liked Asuncion...what's not to like right? We look forward to your next visit to spend some more time with you.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 04:03 PM

Thanks for a nice trip report!

just an fyi:

Road to from Hwy. 1 to Punta Abreojos has been paved for a few years now... As far back as 2007 it was about 10 miles from completion (it began 4 miles north of the Campo Rene road), and they finished the next year I think...

[Edited on 5-12-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.