Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Francisco de la Sierra Part 2
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 02:00 PM
San Francisco de la Sierra Part 2

About three weeks ago, I posted about my treacherous trip up the last 7 kilometros on the road to San Francisco de la Sierra. Now that I have been living mountaintop for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd let you know it's totally worth any strain I may have felt. Besides, when I came back on May 7, Yadiro and Chico drove down to Rte 1 to meet me, and I rode back up in the passenger seat of my RV. We'll do the same thing in reverse when I leave for Bahia Asuncion on Wednesay.

While here, I've had the pleasure of meeting Mike/Miguel of Baja Custom Tours fame--what a swell chap! He'd brought four other English-speaking gentlemen with him.

Oh, a digression...That was the first time I'd heard English since I got here, and probably last unless we count the fun both the primary and secondary school children and I are having with what we all laughingly refer to as my "classes." Also, Yadira and Chico have been no slouches in the English-practicing department; and I forget the name of the guide who says loudly every time he sees me: "Grab the burro's mayn," which I taught him at his request and of which he is quite proud.

Anyway, when Miguel and the guys were here, they dropped off some eagerly-received supplies for some villagers, including used clothing. However, you must ask Mike to tell you the story some time of how his Mexico shirt ended up both given away and hidden away in a period of less than 2 hours!

Mike, and later our guide, Francisco, graciously allowed me to accompany them on the other part of the reason for them being here, going to see Cueva Raton. It was wonderful, and you must do it one day before you leave the Baja.

As another aside, may I suggest we need a "Trailer Trash and Other Rugged Souls" subsection of the Baja Trip Reports? (I must credit my brother for that term. He has been living with his wife in the 5th wheeler (?) for about 15 years now, and when I told him my RV travels didn't seem to resemble many others I've seen so far on BajaNomad, he replied that I just needed to find the other trailer trash! I added the "rugged souls" part myself, so as not to offend anyone/everyone.

Peace and love, all
Susan/a
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 02:52 PM

Thanks for your post, and I appreciate your comment on 'trailer trash'. I don't qualify in that I'm not traveling, and it ain't a trailer, but maybe five months in a 21.524 sq. ft. cold water beach house will qualify me for the rugged souls membership category? :lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 05:12 PM

if you are now living or have ever lived in that truck/camper shell, you in like flynn, man!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:22 PM

How fortunate you are to live amongst these noble ranchers to get a glimpse of how they live...a rugged soul indeed. You will fit right in in BA too!...and deserve a nice hot shower and shrimp tacos.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:32 PM

And ice water, por favor!!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:39 PM

You made it back! Have fun up there and if someone wants to take teaching material up, I got some! I got lots!

Cueva del Raton really is a wonderful painted cavern.

How long will you be up there, Susan?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 06:40 PM

Leaving Wednesday...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 06:25 AM

Too soon for me to get stuff up tp you. Stop by here so we can meet!

Take exit tomAbreojos, at Calle Miguel Dominguez hang a right. Follow the salt flats (we call it the La Bocana Freeway) straight for 10 miles. At one point it reaches the phone lines. At end of lones, go down paved road to church, turn right, first left and fist right again. Look for 2 story house, white, lots of plants. That is us!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 08:36 PM

I've always had a dream of becoming trailer trash!
susaninlapaz
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2014 at 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I've always had a dream of becoming trailer trash!

all it takes is:
1. the willingness to eat a sandwich (pb&j is best) while standing over your sink and reading one of the many manuals for one of the many mechanical/electrical things in your trailer that can stop working for no reason except sheer mischievousness;
2. jeans and a flannel shirt (preferably clean and stained);
3. a potty mouth; and
4. strong knees for climbing in and out of home approximately 184 times a day.

also, we have your basic reverse classism going on--no 5th wheelers need apply unless the rig is at least half as old as they are.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.