Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New tires
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 11:08 PM
New tires

Just curious if I want to buy new tires for my suburban in Ensenada or TJ would the stores there be cheaper than say discount tire or similar in San Diego? Does anyone have any experience buying new tires in Baja.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 03:29 AM

No. No experience for buying tires in Baja. For quality tires, best customer service/warrantee, at the best price I find Costco on the US side has it all. Discount tire doesn't come close to all that and there's really no discount there.

For the first time, I bought a set of 4 used tires from a small shop in San Diego for $300 (mounted/balanced and out the door) I expect to get 25k miles on them. Verses $1k (big tire) for a set of Michelin's from Costco which I would have gotten 50k miles. Smaller outlay now but will have to re-tire sooner.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 05:52 AM

Most tire shops have like new tire "take-offs" from people who just bought a new vehicle want to upgrade or change.........check them out

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:14 AM

I don't know about prices in Ensenada, but I bought a set of BFG All Terrain tires at FrenoMex in Cd. Constitucion. They were about $40.00 Dlls a tire cheaper (mounted and balanced) than in the U.S.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:08 AM

It stands to reason that anything imported down here will have a consumer price that absorbs that import fee.
Like Bob says....buy your tires at "Discount Tires" on Broadway in Chula Vista. It's the choice of patriots.
Yankee Doodle.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:21 AM

I wish I would have had the same experience that Big Woo had. I had to buy a new tire in La Paz and it turned out to be about $40 more than in the US, was an off brand and a D rated not the E rated I normally buy.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:11 AM

heck, i'd drive to Cd constitucion!:O

btw, not to start yet another "which tire is best" thread, quite a few racers running last weeks 500 are reporting excellent results with the Maxxis tires (off the shelf) no idea how they perform on the highway.:yes:
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:58 AM
Tires

I have purchased tires twice in Ensenada, I run Cooper tires on my vehicles the only difference in price is the Disposal fee they charge in the U.S. the plus side is i get a free alignment and tire repair here in Ensenada.:yes::yes:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Most tire shops have like new tire "take-offs" from people who just bought a new vehicle want to upgrade or change.........check them out

Sometimes the Yonke's down here get "like new" tires also. Llantas Gomez, about 2 miles south of Maneadro, has a contract with some of them to send these to him. My Yukon uses 17 inch tires that are hard to find and expensive down here but I scored a set of four Cooper 265/70R17 from him for 1600 pesos mounted. They came off a Land Rover that only had 12,500 miles on it when it was totaled. Walmart in Ensenada sells this tire size for 2,300 + tax pesos EACH.

Bob Durrell
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
I don't know about prices in Ensenada, but I bought a set of BFG All Terrain tires at FrenoMex in Cd. Constitucion. They were about $40.00 Dlls a tire cheaper (mounted and balanced) than in the U.S.

Ditto for Loreto too. bfg km2's were $53 cheaper than tirerack

[Edited on 6-12-2014 by willyAirstream]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2016 at 08:14 PM
looking for a llanteria in La Paz

Closer to El Centerario?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 06:15 AM

advice...its only a minute and a half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zIrCc9Sxo

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 09:08 AM

What! You can drive into Chacala now? Nuts. For soft sand AT's usually preform better. But I personally would just get an MT if you will be driving through lots of mud down in Nayarit. Are you living there now?

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
heck, i'd drive to Cd constitucion!:O

btw, not to start yet another "which tire is best" thread, quite a few racers running last weeks 500 are reporting excellent results with the Maxxis tires (off the shelf) no idea how they perform on the highway.:yes:
I can't speak to the Maxxis off-road tires but I have been running them for years on my boat trailer and couldn't be happier. Like many trailers, mine came with Carlyles. Every single trip to Baja could find me at the side of the road changing a tire somewhere along the way. I purchased a set of Maxxis 10-ply ST trailer tires and haven't changed a tire since with over 15,000 miles

In Memory of E-57
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 09:26 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80014#pid9972...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 10:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

Good info, Bob. I did not know that.

Thanks
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 12:34 PM

Hmmmmmm. I have 3 4x4 drive vehicles, each with BFG AT KO tires on them. I checked the tires on all 3 vehicles and I cannot find a marking like the one in the video near the DOT stamp, so I guess not all tires have a date-stamp?!?!?! I looked carefully at all the other markings on the tires and also could not ID any date stamp. Very strange.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Hmmmmmm. I have 3 4x4 drive vehicles, each with BFG AT KO tires on them. I checked the tires on all 3 vehicles and I cannot find a marking like the one in the video near the DOT stamp, so I guess not all tires have a date-stamp?!?!?! I looked carefully at all the other markings on the tires and also could not ID any date stamp. Very strange.

All tires since early 2000s have the date mark. Sometimes it is the last 4 digits of a longer tire ID, sometimes a stand alone 4 digit number.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

that is very strange.....my KO's are clearly marked.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 01:01 PM

it could look like this...first numbers are shift codes then
8th week of 2006

code.jpg - 8kB

[Edited on 3-19-2016 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.