BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: East Cape-First day of summer ha!
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2014 at 01:29 PM
East Cape-First day of summer ha!

East Cape-First day of summer ha!

My calendar indicated the summer solstice considered first day of summer was just a couple days ago. It may be the longest day of the year but our summer conditions started in April when it was supposed to be spring time. To regress, we had spring-like weather at Christmas time. It has all been a little bizarre but we are enjoying the great weather and outstanding fishing.

I'm going to keep it short and let a few of the photos we captured this week tell the story.

11 year old Sam Sullivan handling the gear like a pro

Sam with his first marlin

Sam's buddy 12 year old Tobias Toncrely scores

Sam's luck continued

The boys let the dads get in on the action

These father son teams are hooked.

Boys will be boys

The Wilson Sabino group got in on the action.

Amberjack

More tuna

Steven Tucker on Jen Wren

Strange looking rooster

Tucker's also released marlin and sailfish

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing"]www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing[/URL]
US cell 310 308 5841
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2014 at 04:53 PM

I hate to beat this thing to death, but the marlin and the rooster fish that are taken out of the water for pictures stand a 50% chance of never surviving until tomorrow. I have posted reports by the experts, I have pleaded to the sensibility of the charter company, but to no avail. This practice continues and they continue to haul the fish up on the deck for photos. All of the research shows that this causes a higher degree of mortality among released fishes, but I guess since you caught it first, it does not really matter and al long as your business keeps going you choose to never change this practice.

cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 06:21 AM

Great pics. Cliffh
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 07:08 AM

Pescador, please continue to take the time to ask charter guys to be professional. I think a lot of sport fishermen feel the way you do --- it may all be for naught. It's a strange game >> the boat, the fisherman uses small gear and line to give the fish a chance, then chases the big fish with the boat till it comes in easily. They boast about the circle hooks and release techniques but in between they let everybody on the boat hold up the fish for the pix, killing it oh so tenderly, then they all high five while they motor away quickly in case the thing shows his belly to the sun and kills a tiny part of pride and braggadocio.
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 12:17 PM

Respect the fishery. Take a picture in the water
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 12:35 PM

Great pictures Mark, thanks for sharing...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 12:41 PM

Cappy, they do that too. They take pictures of the fish in the water. Some big boats have underwater cameras and other very expensive photo gear.

BUT, the people who paid for the boat trip don't want to get in the water with the fish. They want to take home a picture of THEM and THE FISH. Just like with an African safari, sometimes to get that picture of you and the lion, you have to kill the lion first. THEN EVERYBODY HAS A PICTURE, THE SAFARI/FISHING BUSINESS HAS MORE $, EVERYBODY IS HAPPY except the lion.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 12:43 PM

I'm looking at the pics thinking great looking fish, yeah, dinner tonight, then see the f'ing marlin and Rooster.

HOW ABOUT CUTTING THOSE 2 A BREAK -- KILL THE REST.

SPORT? Don't think so. Just my opinion, do what you think is right. (Kids had a blast, I know.)
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 01:10 PM

Fishing for my din-din down here. Catch and release? That's playing with your food. Of course, blue gill, goggle eye, shell cracker and catfish aren't considered trophy fish, but they're all mighty good eating. Caught 64 last Sunday. Will work my way down in the marsh for some speckled trout, redfish, and flounder as soon as my motor is out of the shop.:yes:
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 01:24 PM

What makes the marlin and rooster special? They are fish not unicorns, they aren't endangered or threatened, they are perfectly legal to be caught and kept as long as you stay within the limits. What makes them different is that they aren't the best table fare.

I am fortunate to live down here and can go out fishing about any time, I don't bring marlin into the boat because it is easier to release them in the water and I already have a picture of me standing next to a dead one.

People who hire charter boats may be on a vacation of a lifetime and catching a marlin may be a huge thing for them. They paid their money, bought a license and hired a boat to take them fishing. If they want a picture they are entitled, if they want a picture of themselves next to it hanging from an A frame at the hotel they are entitled to that too. I know that for every fish brought aboard vseasport's boats for a picture dozens more are released in the water.

Pescador, if you really do hate to beat this thing to death you can stop any time, we know how you feel on the topic.

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 02:10 PM

For me the single digit numbers of fish deaths due to individual photo ops are acceptable...it's the net boats and other methods of destruction that need to be focused in on for the waste to value ratio.

Concern over the scenes in the photos is like citing the lack of smog testing for the trophy trucks in the Baja 1000...and the pollution they destroy the natural environment with by not meeting smog standards while the smoke stacks spew into the air across the world.

I do feel some remorse for that photo of me next to a trophy truck in Tecate. And I will never post it for fear of the lashings I would receive.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
What makes the marlin and rooster special?

blue and white marlin populations have been decimated, are endangered species.

rooster fish are usually let go, so what is point of killing them?

i don't understand the mentality of a fisherman or sportsman that would kill for sport, with no intention of eating the kill. what is the point? fishing involves very little skill, actually requires no real skill, just a boat driver to put you atop fish. the only skill the fisherman can master is enjoying the sport without damaging the resource. look at it this way, perhaps the only way you fishermen can show skill is show us you can catch/release w/o injury!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
What makes the marlin and rooster special?

blue and white marlin populations have been decimated, are endangered species.

rooster fish are usually let go, so what is point of killing them?

i don't understand the mentality of a fisherman or sportsman that would kill for sport, with no intention of eating the kill. what is the point? fishing involves very little skill, actually requires no real skill, just a boat driver to put you atop fish. the only skill the fisherman can master is enjoying the sport without damaging the resource. look at it this way, perhaps the only way you fishermen can show skill is show us you can catch/release w/o injury!

"Blue and white marlin populations have been decimated, are endangered species"? Really goat? Please share your source for this claim.

"rooster fish are usually let go".....yep, just like those pictured here.

As for the rest of it, I guess you have figured out our little secret but please don't tell my wife, she believes that fishing is so difficult that I really do need to spend thousands of dollars every year doing it. :lol::lol:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 03:03 PM

Goat, there's a lot more to it than you might think. For example, when I go out fishing in a boat I have to choose the right stick thing to hold the cranker with the string. Then there's the string itself, the pointy metal thing on the end. Then after you put the meat or whatever on the pointy thing and let it way down where the fish are you have to be ready for a tug on the thing --- that's when you want to be sure there's a jerk on your end.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I hate to beat this thing to death, but the marlin and the rooster fish that are taken out of the water for pictures stand a 50% chance of never surviving until tomorrow. I have posted reports by the experts, I have pleaded to the sensibility of the charter company, but to no avail. This practice continues and they continue to haul the fish up on the deck for photos. All of the research shows that this causes a higher degree of mortality among released fishes, but I guess since you caught it first, it does not really matter and al long as your business keeps going you choose to never change this practice.

Why do you encourage vseasport by looking at his posts when you know that they will include pictures like these? Oh, I know, if you didn't look you would lose a chance to b-tch about something.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
What makes the marlin and rooster special? They are fish not unicorns, they aren't endangered or threatened, they are perfectly legal to be caught and kept as long as you stay within the limits. What makes them different is that they aren't the best table fare.

I am fortunate to live down here and can go out fishing about any time, I don't bring marlin into the boat because it is easier to release them in the water and I already have a picture of me standing next to a dead one.

People who hire charter boats may be on a vacation of a lifetime and catching a marlin may be a huge thing for them. They paid their money, bought a license and hired a boat to take them fishing. If they want a picture they are entitled, if they want a picture of themselves next to it hanging from an A frame at the hotel they are entitled to that too. I know that for every fish brought aboard vseasport's boats for a picture dozens more are released in the water.

Pescador, if you really do hate to beat this thing to death you can stop any time, we know how you feel on the topic.

Saw this memorial on the dock.

Bob Durrell
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 06:34 PM

give Pescador a break his is totally correct

if you want to keep a fish within your limits thats your right

if you are going to let it go give it the best chance possible to survive

COMMON SENSE

Derek
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 09:52 PM

Easy enough. From now on, if we are not eating the fish, it doesn't come on deck. You want a picture with the fish, jump in or lay on the swim step. (Makes for a better picture and the fish gets a better chance)

I'm sure if it was suggested to the angler as an option, they would jump at the chance to get in the water.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 07:15 AM

Things change slowly in the fishing world. It was not too many years ago when we hauled all the fish in to the dock, hung them up and took pictures and never really wondered where the fish went. But as we get smarter, we started to realize that we were hurting the fishery and causing unnecessary damage to the fish stocks. Now that very same thing is happening because the Billfish Foundation did some very serious studies on released fish and found out that when they were drug up on the back of the boat less than half of those fish survived.

Now, there are courses being offered where photographers learn how to take really exciting shots of the fish and the fisherman while keeping the fish in the water. It sure is a lot healthier for the fish and the fisherman gets his record of the memories in a really meaningful manner which shows some respect for the fish.

I realize it is a lot like smoking, as not too many years ago a very large number of people smoked, but now as we have come to learn how it causes cancer and health problems, the number of smokers is way down.

Since we have the research to show that somewhere over 50% of the released fish that are drug up on the deck, with their protective layer of slime scraped off, and internally damaged because their body is not built to be out of the water in an unsupported manner, and damage to the backbone and skeletal support, I thought it only proper to keep bringing this subject up in the hope that we might increase survival rates for some of the fish caught.

Let's look at the numbers. If we assume 2 fish every 5 days during the main season which probably lasts 4 months that equals 160 fish caught, drug up on the deck, photographed, and then thrown back in the water. At least 80-100 of those fish are going to die. It would seem to be more honest to just go ahead and kill them and give the meat to people who could use it.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

I realize it is a lot like smoking, as not too many years ago a very large number of people smoked, but now as we have come to learn how it causes cancer and health problems, the number of smokers is way down.

Let's look at the numbers. If we assume 2 fish every 5 days during the main season which probably lasts 4 months that equals 160 fish caught, drug up on the deck, photographed, and then thrown back in the water. At least 80-100 of those fish are going to die. It would seem to be more honest to just go ahead and kill them and give the meat to people who could use it.

Yea, in 1985 when 50+% of men smoked the death rate for white males was 9.9 / 100k from lung cancer. Today with less then 20% of whit males smoking the death rate is 9.1 / 100k and the health experts say the reason it hasn't dropped proportionality is the DISCOVERY of second hand smoke.

So, if the survival rate of fish brought on board prior to release remains at around 50% as claimed and fewer fish are being caught what can that be blamed on? Statistics are in the eye of the beholder.

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.