Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can You ID This Shark?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 10:54 AM
Can You ID This Shark?

This happened while out fishing one day in the SOC. (Excuse me…Sea of Cortez…don’t you just hate abbreviations) Anyway….we were doing okay with various bottom-fish out in deep water, over 200 ft. We had caught some pintos, red snapper, and cabrilla over one of my favorite rock piles. The location was outside of Bahia de Concepcion and around the corner by the mine, then about 1000 yards offshore.

On one retrieve of my heavy jig I had a couple of heavy tugs on the lure, but never hooked up. Bringing the jig back to the surface I noticed something very large following it up…right to the side of the boat.

I took one look and then grabbed my camera. It was shark of about 8 feet nose to tail and had a nice girth. The shark swam lazily around my boat and didn’t seem wary at all… Maybe it was sizing us up as a meal? I dangled the jig up and down on the surface and it scooted right over to investigate the commotion. Then I took this photo. Offers to the crew for a try at hooking and playing the beast were declined.

So here’s a fish quiz for Baja Nomads.

I’ve often wondered what kind of shark came so close to being hand fed. (as in eating my hand)

Does anybody know from this photo? Not very detailed I know, but it's the best image I could get at the time.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 11:34 AM

You're right, hard to identify in that foto, but from the long pectorial fins and thin head I would guess a blue shark.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
You're right, hard to identify in that foto, but from the long pectorial fins and thin head I would guess a blue shark.
Larry

That's what I was thinking.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 02:32 PM

Looks like a blue to me

In Memory of E-57
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 03:56 PM

Yep, blue shark for sure.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 04:44 PM

Well, that's good enough for me. The consensus is that the shark is a 'blue'. Thanks.

The crew had sat around and had a discussion about it over some dark rum, and unanimously decided it was NOT ...a Greenland shark, great white, or hammerhead.

Blue shark it is..with an attraction for dancing jigs.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 10:17 PM

I say Blue shark
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 06:20 AM

May be a Tiburon barroso or dusky shark (Carcharhinus obscurus).
They like to cruise along the shallows in search of food. We've seen them near shore north of Loreto.

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2011/11/21/know-your-sh...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.