Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Doable to Beach Camp and Mangrove fish Mag Bay
Normax

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:06 PM
Doable to Beach Camp and Mangrove fish Mag Bay

Howdy

It time to see the whales at Mag Bay but our first love in Mexico is beach camping and thought it might be possible to visit the whales, camp, kayak and fish the inside mangroves banks but wonder are there others that do that for weeks or what. We are planning this Feb, coming from Reno.

Thanks in advance

Nevada Max
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:17 PM

Years ago, we camped close to the water in Mag Bay....in fact way too close. We awoke the first time in a motorhome to find ourselves completely surrounded by the rising tide, which luckily only reached a few inches deep. A bit alarming though...and fun as we could make it!

The second time in a 32ft fifth wheel on much higher ground. The fishing in the mangroves was terrific. Try some shrimp for bait...snook, linguado, cabrilla...you name it. Also watch for whales in the migration season, but you will need a permit for that. Good luck with your trip and let us know how it went.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Normax

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 09:32 PM

Thanks Pompano

We are in a Lance Camper which I hope gets us into good beaches. Do you suggest San Carlos or Mateo.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 05:31 AM

From Lopez:

Shrimp are pretty much gone in February.
Use mullett for live bait, but illegal for us to use a throw net to get them.

Have to use the Co-Operativos pangas to get out - up close to the whales.

This area is pretty heavily policed.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Normax
Thanks Pompano

We are in a Lance Camper which I hope gets us into good beaches. Do you suggest San Carlos or Mateo.

Think mud rather than sand.
From ultra gooshy mud that will swallow up your camper, to hard packed, shell littered firm stuff.
You may find a notch in the mangroves back inside the estero arm at Lopez Mateos where the launch ramp is.

4 wheel drive on your truck is highly recommended.
Once your off the hard packed dirt roads, you WILL get stuck in the mud at some point.

At Lopez Mateos, there is a large parking area near the whale watching panga operation. I don't know if they would allow you to park your rig there or not if not going out on the pangas.

At any of the above, the fishing opportunites are limited. In fact, fishing anywhere you can get access from the shore will most likely will be limited to small spotted bass. More productive fishing, with a much wider specie range happens from a boat.

Investigate the whale watching area at San Ignacio lagoon.
It's more wide open.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 07:00 AM

Maybe camp at the old RolfoMex site to the north of Lopez. It's high and dry and fairly close to town. But a long way through the mangroves out to the bay.

Trying to camp at the whale watching dock area would be a nightmare during the season.

It's cold and damp in Lopez in February.

Some people camped up by Santo Domingo last December.
Normax

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 03:41 PM

Thanks to all

I have no more interest in catching blue water species anymore esp bills as I lived near Los Frailes. I like fly fishing and ultra light is more meaningful maybe with a cartop Gene Kira Ray Cannon style.

I would not try and freelance seeing the whales esp in a Kayak. Always use the locals for this adventure. Kayaks are for fishing and I see you point about mud and lack of bait other than what can had buy approaching the pangas. Santo Domingo may well be an option.

I have to be at the research station in San Carlos for a time so maybe Villa Maria maybe an option

Thanks and you have been very help towards focusing

Nevada Max
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 03:52 PM

The fish are NOT nearly as prolific as the times of "The Baja Catch" in Mag Bay.

February you should be able to get some fish with flies from you kayak.

We have a guest house here in Lopez with a large fenced yard and connections for a camper.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2105691

[Edited on 11-3-2014 by Mula]
tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 05:48 PM

hey Mula,

as not to hijack this thread, i have sent you a U2U message in regards to Lopez Mateos and your B&B

Cheers!

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by tyguypb]
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 06:40 PM

responded.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.