Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Dog Attack in BOLA
Liz barnes

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 07:58 AM
Dog Attack in BOLA

On Wednesday December 22, a young woman was walking on the beach between the Turtle Project and the light house in BOLA. She was attacked by two young male Rottweillers who live at the multi-colured house beside Brisa Marina (Turtle Project). The dogs attempted to drag her to their property and inflicted serious wounds, including a broken arm and several deep bite wounds which will require extensive reconstructive surgery. The owner of the dogs, was asked to help transport the victim to the hospital in Guerro Negro and allegedly refused. The dogs remain on the property, tied up for now! If anyone has experienced problems with these dogs, they are encouraged to inform the Deligado in BOLA.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 09:44 AM
Liz - got your mesage

and sorry i couldn't be available this weekend. hope she gets to states ok and recovers.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 11:41 AM

Sad story.

Someone should get a baseball bat and beat the crap out of the owners.:fire:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Liz barnes

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 12:09 PM

I think you may be right that the owners are the problem. These dogs have been here since we arrived in October, cared for by a resident caretaker. From what I understand, the owners are only here at Christmas. They apparently live in Rosarito and have a business in san Diego. Our concern is that after the owners leave, the dogs will be loose once again. Their aggressive behavior has been a concern to those of us who walk the beach for sometime. Just before the attack on the young woman, they attempted to attack a cat being walked by a camper at Brisa Marina. As the dogs are still fairly young, it has been possible to back them off up til now. I'm sure that right now the victim is more concerned about getting to San Diego and the treatment she needs, than she is about lodging a formal complaint. Without a complaint, nothing will be done where the dogs are concerned, and I think that is up to the rest of us to monitor the situation closely!
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 12:50 PM

I'm sure they sell rat poison in Bahia.

Union thug.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 02:06 PM

Also, be aware of two dogs that will charge at you as you walk the beach area between Gecko's and the beach area that curves from the south toward the east. It is approximately the third of fourth beach home as you walk south of Camp Gecko. It is a two story home, I think. Luckily, I had a walking stick with me which I used to fend them off. Wish I could more specific as to which beach house they stay at.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 06:53 PM

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in BCS.

He got stitched up and found out the dog had done it before, and the previous victim had filed a complaint.

He went in to file one also, but there was no record of it. :rolleyes:

Seems the owner has a fair amount of money and power, and is able to influence things like that.

Knowing my friend, I feel sorry for that owner now, but sorrier for his (recently departed) dog. It wasn't his fault.

So don't sweat the proper thing to do. You KNOW what to do. And somebody is at a rather distinct disadvantage. You know where they live.

But don't just take care of the dogs. Take your time(years, not weeks), protect your identity, and figure out who and when.

Good luck to your friend in their recuperation.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 07:30 PM
Safety First!

I had a friend whose dog died when someone fed it ground beef w/ground glass mixed in.

Union thug.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-25-2004 at 09:56 PM

Dogs at fault or owners at fault?

Owners are always at fault.

Rottweilers are intelligent working dogs that need a job and will take over if not given direction by the caretakers. Their immediate instinct is to protect their territory. If their territory and behavior is not defined by a responsible owner, they will take the initiative according to their instincts.

Without knowing the situation or the dogs, I think that poisoning the dogs is not an answer. The irresponsible owner will just go out and buy a new set of dogs that will be neglected and create the same problems.

Work with the dogs. Carry a squirt gun with a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 ammonia and also carry some dog treats.

Depending on the interaction, use one or the other.

I am very sorry that this lady was injured. I hope and pray that she will recover.

Feliz Navidad and Feiliz Ano Nuevo to all

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 02:24 AM

Doesn't that house (and family) have a Reputation? I'm not looking to make this public but I do want to know who I'll be living next too (mhumfreville@hotmail.com).
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 08:00 AM
True

the owners are at fault. But, once that line is crossed it's hard to go back. Having been attacked by pit bulls and rottweilers I won't hesitate to permantly end a threat to my family. I guess I better start carrying the stick w/nail combo to work on conditioning.

Union thug.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 09:21 AM

I suggest the owners names and the details of the attack be forwarded to the San Diego paper. If they have a business in San Diego, a little bad publicity would do them good.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 11:20 AM

I agree that the owners are ultimately responsible for teaching and/or controlling their dogs. Since all owners are not responsible, it often falls to others to help break bad habbits. I hate violence against dogs in general, but they have to learn, or else....

There were three dogs in La Ventana last year that bit my wife on the way back from the lavamatica when her hands were full. She normally takes one or both of our large dogs with her to discourage the strays from getting too close, but went solo this trip.
Needless to say, I'd had enough; especially since our small kids were with us. I duct taped two flashlights (bulbs and lenses removed) to a short broom stick and wired them to the end of the stick where I taped them to foil and then wrapped all with a thin cloth.

When the dogs came to threaten, I turned on the power and let them bite the stick a few times until they retreated. I made sure to make the stick look like part of my arm. I walked past them with my stick three or four times a day for a week or so and voila; they now bark at everyone from the corner but no more attacks.

We were there for another three weeks and got a baked potato dinner in our honor for dog control before we left for Cabo Pulmo (I got an official hat).
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 12:23 PM

People, this ain't that difficult....especially in Mexico. The dogs need to be put down.

Call the police to come investigate. If the dogs attack they will shoot them, no questions asked. If they don't and you pay them a few dinero, they will shoot them anyway.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I agree that the owners are ultimately responsible for teaching and/or controlling their dogs. Since all owners are not responsible, it often falls to others to help break bad habbits. I hate violence against dogs in general, but they have to learn, or else....

There were three dogs in La Ventana last year that bit my wife on the way back from the lavamatica when her hands were full. She normally takes one or both of our large dogs with her to discourage the strays from getting too close, but went solo this trip.
Needless to say, I'd had enough; especially since our small kids were with us. I duct taped two flashlights (bulbs and lenses removed) to a short broom stick and wired them to the end of the stick where I taped them to foil and then wrapped all with a thin cloth.

When the dogs came to threaten, I turned on the power and let them bite the stick a few times until they retreated. I made sure to make the stick look like part of my arm. I walked past them with my stick three or four times a day for a week or so and voila; they now bark at everyone from the corner but no more attacks.

We were there for another three weeks and got a baked potato dinner in our honor for dog control before we left for Cabo Pulmo (I got an official hat).

I think you deserve more than a hat for that kind of training....:D

But having rescued several aggressive dogs from abuse situations, I know that retraining can be pretty time consuming.

I'm going to be carrying a water pistol of deterrant and a big stick.

Although I have a pretty tough rott who goes beach walking with me...not expecting many problems.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2004 at 08:19 AM
"Time Out"

I think those nasty dogs should be given "time out". don't you agree Dr. Spock? How about "time out" in the forever sense.....

The dogs are biters.....adios, however it needs to be done....
burritomama
Junior Nomad

Mood: asi asi

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 08:27 PM

We were there the day after the attack and folks were pretty shook up (we stay at the turtle camp) and trying to organize to develop some strategy. I also talked to the fella who was charged by the dogs while walking with his cat. The owners didn't seem to feel at all responsible...

Nothing to add really - it's just a bad, dangerous scene at a beautiful place.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 09:40 PM
sue the bastards

no one likes lawyers until they need them

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Liz barnes

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 09:52 PM
Thanks for taking the initiative... Burritomama

Thanks for following up on the dog attack case. I was in the area recently and could hear the dogs' low moaning from next door. They are still tied up on the property. Folks nearby have heard them being disciplined in a pretty harsh manner by someone.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 02:30 PM

Dave's got the right idea. That is unless the Policia were at the dog owner's annual holiday party. If that's case they probably won't go out to the house to take care of the dogs. In a small town, it's all in who you know.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.