Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gen 3 SPOT Tracker Demo
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 11:40 AM
Gen 3 SPOT Tracker Demo

For those of you who'd like to see how a Gen 3 SPOT Tracker works, here's your chance. Also, if you're NOB, this is your opportunity to vicariously live Baja for the next two weeks. My location is updated every five minutes when I'm moving.

I'll head south 11/6, in the afternoon - this link will be alive thru 11/19:
http://tinyurl.com/mbdsdt6

I'll be working with COPS Racing during the Mil, roughly between Loreto/San Juanico and La Paz. We'll start prerunning this Sunday, then move into Race Mode early Friday morning 11/14.

The guys to watch:
- Trophy Truck #50, Zak Langley
- Class 1 #111, Morgan Langley
- Class 10 #1011, John Langley

¡Feliz carreras!

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 12:21 PM

Thanks!!! I'm in the market for one before my next solo moto trip so this will be cool to check out. Have a safe trip.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 03:22 PM

awesome, have fun down there.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:41 PM

Has 'Spot' changed their policy of only working with annual contracts for service? I usually only spend about six weeks exploring the Peninsula, and wish they had other packages available.
My other complaint about the Gen 2 spot was limited battery life, has that improved?
Third concern was the automatic renewal fee unless you are pro-active in confirming canceling service. Having said all that, I still have to ask myself, 'How many times would spot have to get me out of a jam to be worth the annual contract?'.
G.L.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:54 PM

AK it's a little more that having them get you out. With a spot you can keep your family aware of your location anywhere you go. If you need help the help button, not the SOS button, will notify your family and friends you need help but it's not a life or death issue. Maybe car trouble for example. I spend a lot of time in the Mojave desert mostly Death Valley and surrounding area as well as Baja. For a little more than $100 per year I think it's well worth it. Besides when some of my friends see where I'm at they get jealous.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:05 PM

TW, Thanks for the input, I am leaning that way! I have one more question about their service. Do you know of any failures of service or coverage that have caused false alarms for people following the track, when it suddenly disappears for a few days?
Also the envy thing might be a way to get some of those followers to join me!
G.L.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:06 PM

Just once

Quote:
Originally posted by AKgringo
I still have to ask myself, 'How many times would spot have to get me out of a jam to be worth the annual contract?'.
G.L.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:16 PM

Bajaguy, Yeah, I know, once is plenty. I left that pin standing so someone could pick up a spare. Good shot!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:22 PM
SPOT Batteries

AK - I use Lithium batteries and change out depending on my use pattern. Carry several sets as spares. Have a Gen 3, prior to that a Gen 1. Don't leave home without it!!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:35 PM

YES to what bajaguy and TW said - it's not just for emergencies. I can send an "I'm OK" text and email to my wife, so really it's about peace of mind. The Gen 3's batteries last much longer than the 1 or 2, and I can also plug it into the cig lighter. I've owned a SPOT since they launched, I've never used the SOS button, but it's good to know it's there. Considering the remote places I end up, the price is worth it (to me).

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:13 PM

Well I appreciate getting my questions answered by folks who are using Spot!
I hope they are sponsoring you, you just sold some units!
Prior to finding the Nomad Forum, I had a hard time finding someone who had good things to say about the trackers, but I suppose contented people aren't heard from as much.

OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 04:10 AM

Good news for prospective Spot buyers. Their products are 50% off until January 1st, 2015! Here's a link to their site which will issue you a rebate code prior to purchase:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

One of the products featured at 50% off is their Spot satellite phone. Do any Nomads have any experience using their phones?

I usually rent an Iridium satellite phone and buy a minutes package for the field study I run with my students to Bahia de Las Animas. It works fine, but it can be costly. I'm looking into the option of buying my own unit, and just buying one of the smaller Spot monthly plans for service. I would appreciate feedback from any Nomads who have heard of/used this product.

Thanks!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 08:15 AM

A good experience using the spot and how BajaNomads pitched in to help, read this. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49180

It's the story how Mike Younghusband got into a jam with Donkay and his dog along the coast below El Rosario and sent a help message from Spot. DavidK relayed the message and several Nomads took it from there including Baja Gringo and Baja Cactus and others.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 08:13 AM
Mulege

Spent the night in Mulege - saw no mosquitoes (I was terrified at all the mosquito-speak about the place). Drove down from San Felipe, saw Coco, then out to Highway 1 - no big deal. Headed to Loreto shortly. As others have said, this place is GREEN.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 09:27 AM
Loosing the Spot signal

A friend, (and ultra runner) uses Spot on the events she does in sometimes remote areas. She's used it on many long distance and multi-day runs and only once did it simply quit working inexplicably. It just stopped functioning for a period of several hours then started working again.

As I said, it's only a one time occurrence over many years of use.

It sure provides peace of mind for her crew during these races.

John M
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 09:54 AM

Tecate or Pacifico. no question these are valuable gadgets, given the choice im hearing alot of folks opting for the DeLorme InReach mainly for the 2way messaging. anyone test drove one of these?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 09:59 AM

Pappy Jon uses the DeLorme InReach device and it allows him to include a short message with his daily GPS location. The maps that InReach uses are great, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 08:47 AM

Good to mention Inreach
For those who are interested here are some links
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse_extreme...
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-smartphon...
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plan...
I don’t have one, but it appears that a second device with a keyboard connected via Bluetooth would be a necessity?? BTW Delorme has a device that connects via Bluetooth to certain SPOT devices.
Maybe someone can detail the devices and cost for us all?
SPOT
Read about
http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/SPOT_2_User_Guide_V2_pri...
Here is how the pricing works
https://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103
BTW I use the original SPOT Messenger with the tracking option. Works fine and I get several years of use from the Lithium batts. My cost is 335.86 for 2 years service with basic plan $14/month
The main difference between Spot 3 and the original SPOT is when you stop moving the SPOT turns off with the 3 then resumes when you move. I like the thing to be on all the time.
Spot issues based on 5 years experience:
Text messages from Baja never work and Cell phone contact wont work. Email message do work. Never used SOS.
Batteries: yes I carry spares, but I get many hours of red light warning and it still works with the low batt.
Huge drawback with SPOT is you have to program email addresses before your trip using your computer. It does not do much good to need help in Baja with US addresses. So for each trip one needs local help addresses pre-programmed. It’s really bad when you forget.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 07:57 PM

Preran from Insurgentes to La Paz today - we drive up in the morning and repeat tomorrow. Punta Conejo was spectacular as usual - saw the french hippy chick who lives there.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.