BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: UTV opinions wanted- Polaris Ranger Crew?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 07:25 AM
UTV opinions wanted- Polaris Ranger Crew?

The beloved Manx buggy has served us well for 20 yrs but I don't think we can revive it this time. Never considered a utv before and we just started looking in to them and are open to your suggestions and opinions.

Criteria-
-4 seats.
-Comfortable on bumpy dirt roads and able to traverse dunes.
-Storage/cargo space for fishing stuff, collecting rocks, going to the dump.
-Reliable.
- Won't be racing around but want enough power to get up steep beach accesses and across dunes, etc.

The 2015 Polaris Ranger Crew seems like the best fit for our use.
(Don't like the 6seat set up of the Viking VI). Any problems with belt slippage or 4wd engaging on the Rangers? Is the Ranger Crew 570 enough power or is it worth the extra $3600 :wow: for the 900?
Anything else to consider? Dealer suggestions?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 09:43 AM

http://www.prcforum.com/forum/forum.php
A great place to become knowledgeable about different Polaris SxS's

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:15 AM

I have a 2012 Ranger 800 and love it. Can't keep up with the RZR's but still can do 45mph which is fine for me. And I end up hauling things they haven't room for.
There are lots of things you're going to want to add. That's part of the fun with SxS's

So is getting stuck :yes:

This is my old 2008 with a tongue extension to launch the boat

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by Russ]

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:34 AM

I currently have a 2013 Ranger 900XP, not a crew cab, but seating for three, this is my second UTV, so just a few comments for what it is worth. The 4X4 function works great at lower speeds, but there is a lot of driveline noise if the 4X4 is engaged at higher speeds, it also really slows down overall speed when engaged. The 4X4 function only engages the front tires when the rear loose traction, this is only a problem if maneuvering in tight slippery areas, such as snow and ice. I use mine in the sand dunes three or four times a year and it is a fun machine to drive. I have had no problems with it, I do my own routine maintenance and I am still using the original drive belt. I would buy the Electric Power Steering (EPS) if I was buying again. I believe the roof and glass windshield was my best options, although they create a vacuum that draws dust into the cab area. JH
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 05:02 PM

Thanks for the input Russ and Bajamedic. Ranger forums seem to lean towards the 900 especially for the crew cab size and the fact you guys have 800 and 900
is another tip.

Since you've had more than one Ranger Russ, it's an endorsement in itself. I was going to ask about a windshield then noticed your clever kayak mounting technique Russ.

Do you have the rear windshield Bajamedic? It was recommended on a forum to have a rear windshield when you have a front one to reduce the dust swirling in to the cab? We were hoping we could get by without the extra $$ of the power steering but it would be silly to spend this much and then regret not having something important if it makes a big difference.

Man, the price tag climbs fast before we've added any "fun" extras! Gotta weigh the usage vs cost a bit longer before diving in.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 05:28 PM

Also check out the Can Am's, they are pretty sweet looking machines.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 07:48 PM

I don't have any 4X4 issues unless it's in low 4x4 that I seldom use except for slow rock crawling situations. I use hi 4x4 for sand and usually forget to put it back in 2x4. I bought a short wind screen and couldn't get it adjusted where it didn't block my view and it got really dirty. I went out tonight and it was cold on the return trip. Forgot it gets cold now;)

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 09:18 AM

I agree with Russ & Baja Medic
I have the 3-seater 2013 Ranger 800

I love it

Runs the beaches and dunes very well

we use it for surf fishing remote Baja beaches and it gets great gas mileage and is very versatile

I would go with the 900 for sure if you need a 4 seater. Isn't there a 1000 now??

My 800 has way plenty of speed for this old man

[Edited on 11-14-2014 by DawnPatrol]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 11:51 AM

The 4 seater is a really big machine.

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 12:43 PM

Oladuce, you might look at the new Honda UTV (2015 Pioneer 700-4). I have not seen one yet, but the ads are claiming 4X4, an automotive type of transmission and a cargo bed that converts to seating for four. I doubt if it would have the performance and speed that the Rangers have, but it might serve as a dual purpose machine. JH
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 07:25 AM
Ranger need a lift?

We've looked at the specs and features of other brands and models and pretty sure we're going to stick with a Ranger 900.

A question for Russ and others with Rangers- how about the clearance? Did you add a lift to yours? Lots of rocks around here. Reading the Ranger forum it seems like a lift kit is the first thing many people add, but don't know if it's mandatory or those guys are just Ranger gearheads.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 08:47 AM

I lifted my 08 2" but haven't had any issues with the 12 so it's stock. I did add 1" wheel spacers for a more stable ride and Baja Cross tires and new wheels for better puncture resistance. I also added a Slime type product to seal cactus punctures. I added an after market clutch so I get a smoother start and some engine breaking. If you get new tires stay with the 12" wheels. The more rubber the smoother ride and better side wall performance for pinch dangers. Lots of stuff to be gleaned from PRC but remember some guys just have to build bigger and run into problems. The Ranger so good stock. A lot of folks here are going with the RZR's that ride lower and are 20mph or more faster. But I catch up to them about the same time their dust settles down.:rolleyes:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:13 AM

My 2008 Ranger maybe for sale. Lots of add on equipment and low mileage. My next door neighbor has it and isn't here right now but will post a for sale thread when I know more.

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
We've looked at the specs and features of other brands and models and pretty sure we're going to stick with a Ranger 900.

A question for Russ and others with Rangers- how about the clearance? Did you add a lift to yours? Lots of rocks around here. Reading the Ranger forum it seems like a lift kit is the first thing many people add, but don't know if it's mandatory or those guys are just Ranger gearheads.

My 2013 is not lifted but it has 12" of travel or thereabouts....
Lifting it a couple inches may be just what you need ....
Anybody care to guess what that would run??
I would be maybe interested in lifting mine, even though I have had not particular problems... I am not as , lets say, "adventurous" as some when it comes to rock-hopping, although we did a bunch on the Baja 1000 section in the hills east of El Socorro

[Edited on 11-19-2014 by DawnPatrol]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 03:00 PM

Here is a popular place to buy upgrades. Notice they recommend upgrading axles when lifting your Ranger. The added angle adds more stress to all axle parts.
My '08 has not had any issues. The only time you read about how a lift is working is when there is a problem. I would not go over 2" though.
http://www.superatv.com/RANGER-CREW-ADJUSTABLE-2-3-INCH-LIFT...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.