Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Week of Thanks!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 08:41 PM
Week of Thanks!

Finally unpacked and cleaned up from our 8 day trip to Baja. We got home last night after a 2 plus hour wait at San Ysidro.

We left on Friday, 11/28 and drove south for Bahia de Los Angeles. We crossed at San Ysidro. We were inspected as usual but were asked some unusual questions, at least from our experiences. The officer asked us for our passports and auto registration. We ponied them up and were on our way.

The desert was very green and the drive was pleasant. Our buddy caught up to us as we approached Bola. We topped off gas, bought some Pacificos, aired down, and cruised south. We were surprised to find the road in relatively good shape. We found a nice arroyo and set up camp for the night.

Next morning, we woke up and scooted down the road for Playa San Rafael. We have been doing this trip for a number of years now. Our kids were excited to see Pancho and play on the beach. The skies were clear and the temps in the upper 70s.

We were surprised to find the beach had changed dramatically. There was no longer a back bay but instead an estero. Pancho told us about the hurricane and how things had changed. He suggested we can at the point of the estero.

We had a wonderful time catching fish, swimming, and just relaxing. Pancho was an excellent host as always. We spent three days there before the wind picked up. We decided it was time to make our way to Bahia Asuncion.

We were amazed with the massive destruction from all the rain. What was once a small arroyo was now three times as wide. Nature is definitely boss.

We had a blast in Asuncion. Weather was great and we ate so much great food. One of the highlights of the trip was fishing with my amigo and neighbor Miguel Arce. It was my wife's first time fishing and the weather gods smiled on us. Fishing was pretty much wide open and we were treated to a lot of whales, sea turtles, dolphins, and a wide variety of fish. The highlight of fishing with Miguel is that his charters include a full blown dinner that do not disappoint.

All in all, a near perfect trip.

Zac

For all the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/107073544456040498506/Thanksgiv...

[Edited on 12-1-2014 by Bajaboy]

Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 08:53 PM

Great post!

What condition were the roads like south of BOLA ? We would like to do the loop from BOLA to San Rafael and keep going south back to the highway.

We have not been out to Asuncion yet. Sounds like we should make the trip!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 08:53 PM

Wow, a full time lagoon now? No more driving down the beach to the other access road it seems? Thanks Zac... Nice to see Baja was all there for you guys, as usual! Bummer that San Ysidro wasn't a fast as it had been recently.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ribbonslinger  
Great post!

What condition were the roads like south of BOLA ? We would like to do the loop from BOLA to San Rafael and keep going south back to the highway.

The road is always rough in spots but not too bad this year. I'd say it was in worse condition two years ago. The road south of PSR is in really good shape.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ribbonslinger  
Great post!

We chased Bajaboy down the peninsula catching up at Panchos. Some sections of road are slow going but most sections are not. All in all an enjoyable drive and more good road then bad. The drive out to Hwy 1 south takes you thru some spectacular scenery including a forest of Cardon. Well worth the trip. IMEO.

After you hit the asphalt via El Arco its worth heading out to Asuncion. Make sure you eat at Juanita's and Conchita's. Miguelitos Sportfishing is the bomb. We just got done vacuum sealing the YT fillets the wife and crew got. As Zac said the weather was perfect in BA. Low 80's on the beach and 70 degree water in November!

Zac and familia - thanks for letting us tag along!

M&B

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:25 PM

Beautiful pics, just beautiful!! Thanks for the Baja fix!!
About the border--- last year it would have been a 4 hour wait. Mexicans love Black Friday and the days after. The days between Thanksgiving and Christmas mean long border waits!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 09:31 PM

Ready Lane SY today - in line at 11:18 AM across at 12:32 PM. :rolleyes:

Part of the adventure. :saint:

MAGA

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:00 AM

Yeah man! Nice report and great trip. Jealous. Looks like the kids got a couple waves too. I'm heading down in 3 weeks. You got me stoked.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:13 AM

Nice pictures Zac.(and it looks like you adhered to the rules). How would one get in touch with Miguel Arce ahead of time for a reservation? What are is rates?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Nice pictures Zac.(and it looks like you adhered to the rules). How would one get in touch with Miguel Arce ahead of time for a reservation? What are is rates?

We paid $250 for five of us. That included a small lunch, cleaning the fish, and a full blown dinner. The best way to get in touch with Miguel is via his daughter Bianka Robles by email at bianchis_23@hotmail.com or call 615-160-0072

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:33 AM

Thanks. good rate. sometimes, when the fishing slacks off in Abreojos and we will head North for different waters.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 10:26 AM

Hi Zac,

I ran into you south of San Rafael it was nice meeting you.
Thanks for posting Miguel's contact info I would like to hook up with him next time we head down.

Take care,
Chris

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cpg  
Hi Zac,

I ran into you south of San Rafael it was nice meeting you.
Thanks for posting Miguel's contact info I would like to hook up with him next time we head down.

Take care,
Chris

You had the sweet Toyota right and followed us to BA, right? Nice bumping into you.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 11:01 AM

Excellent, fun for the whole family and friends. Can't beat that.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 11:09 AM

[/rquote]

You had the sweet Toyota right and followed us to BA, right? Nice bumping into you.[/rquote]

Yes that was me.
I have some photos here of our trip.
http://cpg.smugmug.com/Camping-Trips/Baja-Trips/Baja-Novembe...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cpg  

[/rquote]

You had the sweet Toyota right and followed us to BA, right? Nice bumping into you.[/rquote]

Yes that was me.
I have some photos here of our trip.
http://cpg.smugmug.com/Camping-Trips/Baja-Trips/Baja-Novembe...

Too bad that rig in front of you (pic 115) kept slowing you down! :saint:
Nice photos!

MAGA

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 01:30 PM

SWEET!

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 02:45 PM

Great photos from both of you.

Thanks
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 02:53 PM

Looks like a great trip Zac!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 08:09 PM

It looks and sounds like everyone had a great trip. Thank you for posting and sharing pics. Made me homesick.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.