Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja fishing
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 12:13 AM
Baja fishing

Heading to Bahia Conception, Loreto, and Los Barilles, Feb/Mar for the first time. Will be taking along an 11'-6" Zodiac with an 8 HP Yamaha. Plan on doing some fishing and exploring.
Would appreciate any ideas on what lures would be good to have in the tackle box. Also understand some of the fish have very sharp spines, any ideas on how to protect the inflatable would be greatly appreciated. :saint:
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 12:28 AM

Will be interested in hearing the replies! We took a friend's smaller Zodiac out in April near-ish BOLA and only caught some grouper, triggers, and bay bass before the winds did us in...but I wondered if a piece of a very strong tarp laid over the rail where you bring the fish in would help...and then a rubbermaid or whatever bin to fit the area where you keep fish...a bucket would also work well for smaller fish and could double as a bait holder if you go that route. It has been mentioned a zillion times on here but the Baja Catch by Gene Kira and Neil Kelly is a great book to have for this type of fishing!
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 12:36 AM

We will have a good plastic container in the boat for the catch. Thinking the type of rubber liner used behind ceramic tile in a shower base might be a good barrier to lay over the tube? Not sure what to use to catch the fish to begin with?
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 03:23 AM

There are some hints on tackle over in the Tin Boats thread.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 04:21 AM

Bert, welcome to BN. Your boat/motor rig sounds well-balanced; Zodiacs are notorious for pinholes in the fabric from sharp spines. You can use carpet scraps/samples on the tubes; cut holes in the corners and tie 'em to whatever you can on your boat. Hint; hemostats and pliers are a handy must. Any heavy fabric material would work for a 'fish-flopping' spot.

Your boat is fine, but keep a sharp eye especially on the northern horizon for the 'black line' when out on the water; you don't want to get caught in a wind in that small of a boat. It's a spankin' to get back in.

For lures, bring silver spoons, diving rapalas, rebels, even 2" - 3" rubber wigglers on jigheads.... and bring LOTS. My all-time fave is a 5/8 oz. Krokodile by Luhr Jensen. Rip some lips, have fun.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 06:43 AM

At that time of year, white hootchies with wire leaders work well for sierra. Also, bring some Salas type lures for jigging.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 07:40 AM

Anything with a treble hook be careful because, for some reason, Zodiacs work as a magnate on them.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76561#pid9501...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 08:28 AM

If your coming to fish Loreto I suggest you bring your best good luck charm. :biggrin:

6X Salas this time of year.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 10:22 AM

Thanks that will get me pointed in the right direction.
Will my salmon fishing rod and reel be adequate?
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 12:13 PM

I did not see anybody using knuckle busters down there, but for trolling I am sure it would be fine.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 05:26 PM

Depends on what sort of salmon fishing setup you have.

A float drifting rod like you see a lot of here in Oregon for steelhead/salmon would be woefully undergunned for the bigger species. That said you can have a lot of fun on bass, triggers, etc with something like that.

A stouter, shorter boat rod like you might use for offshore trolling for chinook would be a decent match for sierra, etc.

The Salas lures that are being recommended here are big jigs - 6" or so and weighing several ounces.
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 12:57 AM

Great help, I have a trolling setup, a Penn type reel on a 9' firm rod which has brought in 20 lb plus salmon, a float drifting 10'-6" rod with an ambassador reel I use to fish the river for salmon and steelhead, it can also handle 15lb plus fish. I have several spin casting setups for trout fishing. Sounds like it's best to bring a variety. Will be challenging to tell the wife rods are a priority. (Could be fishing alone) LOL.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 05:47 AM

Those are mighty long rods.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 06:26 AM

I have always had the highest yield bottom fishing with cut bait. I use a bottom rig with two hooks and a 3 oz sinker. One about a foot off the bottom and another about a foot higher. This is good for triggers, corvina (my favorite), cabrilla (makes good bait) and an occasional grouper...... Rebels or rapalas work good for surface fishing. Best of luck!
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 09:16 AM

Thanks, Once I'm there I'll hook up with some other fisherman to get tips on cleaning and filleting these kinds of fish.
Looking to forward to some beach time to go along with the fishing.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 12:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
I have always had the highest yield bottom fishing with cut bait. I use a bottom rig with two hooks and a 3 oz sinker. One about a foot off the bottom and another about a foot higher. This is good for triggers, corvina (my favorite), cabrilla (makes good bait) and an occasional grouper...... Rebels or rapalas work good for surface fishing. Best of luck!

Great thoughts...bring a chunk of squid...it's like fish candy!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 12:27 AM

Bert; your rig(s) are adequate. You'll pick up a lot of knowledge in a short time, don't expect to know and do everything right; that's the difference between 'fishing' and 'catching'. Bring 2 -3 different weight poles, and a few extra reels, and 8lb, 12lb, 15lb and 30lb line spools, and PLAY wid'em (windy afternoons). TALK to folk, that's Espiritu Baja. Be sure to rinse your reels daily with fresh water. Forget all this advice and remember all of it, that's the way of the fisherman, not the catcherman. Have fun, amigo........ the adventure awaits.

The reason to bring a few extra (cheap) reels is it's not easy to refit when 'chit happens'. Better to have and not need, than need and not have, unless you're a terminal cancer patient; in that case, i'd BRING THREE.

Happy trails. And don't forget the 5/8 oz Krok's (blue mackerel; but don't tell anyone, I buy 24 at a time from Cabella's....)
:bounce:

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 08:43 PM

Alright looks like a stop at Cabellas will be scheduled.
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 11:19 AM

In my search for information I found the following site and thought others following the post might find the information useful.

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/fishing.htm
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 07:25 PM

As a PNW resident and baja person, I would strongly suggest you leave your salmon reels at home. The Cortez is saltier than most, and I have had nothing but trouble having those reels seize up. Even with severe rinsings in FW. Try to take a couple of older Penn 500's... tried and true! Daiwa SLH is durable as well.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.