Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mision Santa Maria
TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 04:20 PM
Mision Santa Maria

Just a quick note to all the nomads. Mision Santa Maria is currently accessible. We just returned from an attempt to see the Mision that ended .7 miles short. More detail and pix to come.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 06:38 PM

Looking forward to your report on perhaps my favorite mission site!

What do you mean by "ended .7 miles short"? You had to walk from the bog to the missions?

Here's some photos of us Nomads going there on the epic 2010 trip: http://vivabaja.com/msm2010

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 06:41 PM

I can't get my post to go up. Tried several times. Maybe its the a-s-s word issue? In reading around that was fixed no?
TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 07:16 PM

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 07:19 PM

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 07:21 PM

View to the Sea of Cortez

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 07:24 PM

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 07:25 PM

So beautiful in there!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 07:38 PM

The bottom of the widowmaker

Here is the end of the marsh area. That is really tight and was a no go for the full size truck. Otherwise its easily passible.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 11:23 PM

Great pictures of one of the true gem-areas of Baja CA.

Many thanks, TeamDonde

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TeamDonde  
I can't get my post to go up. Tried several times. Maybe its the a-s-s word issue? In reading around that was fixed no?

Right, that is not an issue with getting things to post, only accent marks and other uncommon symbols in text prevent posting, at the moment.

>>> There is something in the format of your Word file that just isn't allowing the text to be pasted here... I will send it to Doug (BajaNomad) and see if he can figure out what it is.

I gather there were three vehicles, a Jeep Rubicon, an FJ Cruiser with A-TRAC, and a truck of some kind (that couldn't pass between the palms in the bog/ march)?

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:23 AM

Hopefully Doug figures it out so the rest of the story can be told.

We were in my Unlimited Rubicon, FJ with 33" tires, and a 4 door Raptor. That truck is really wide and it would have been very sketchy in the bog area. U impressed with the FJ. The electronic traction control works great. It's a excellent Baja expedition vehicle.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 08:28 AM

We were in my Unlimited Rubicon, FJ with 33" tires, and a 4 door Raptor. That truck is really wide and it would have been very sketchy in the bog area. U impressed with the FJ. The electronic traction control works great. It's a excellent Baja expedition vehicle.

Right! I have the Toyota Tacoma and used A-TRAC all the way in there and out and never touched the Rear Locker (as I had on the previous two Tacomas going in there). A-TRAC is amazing!

Cameron Steele got withing sight of the mission in his 4 door Raptor last Spring, but the steep gully stopped him. Full size trucks just are a bit big to not get some rock or tree damage.

Try sending me the Word doc as an email attachment and not through Drop Box. I will keep trying, but I also sent it to Doug... as we just saw this morning he is in Baja on vacation.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Right! I have the Toyota Tacoma and used A-TRAC all the way in there and out and never touched the Rear Locker (as I had on the previous two Tacomas going in there). A-TRAC is amazing!

Cameron Steele got withing sight of the mission in his 4 door Raptor last Spring, but the steep gully stopped him. Full size trucks just are a bit big to not get some rock or tree damage.

Try sending me the Word doc as an email attachment and not through Drop Box. I will keep trying, but I also sent it to Doug... as we just saw this morning he is in Baja on vacation.

Yet Art made it in to the Mission in his off-road mini-motor -home------surely the Raptor is not wider than Art's vehicle?

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yet Art made it in to the Mission in his off-road mini-motor -home------surely the Raptor is not wider than Art's vehicle?

Barry

Art's 4WD van was amazing, and he had front and rear ARB lockers, as well (and used them)... He was not afraid to dent or bang anything with that beast... and like me, he also caught his rear bumper on the steep dip before the mission.

The difference I am sure is these folks with a $60,000 (?) Raptor were not as anxious to have body damage.

TeamDonde
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 02:11 PM

That's what it boiled down to.

I have some video of driving through the big that I will try to post later.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 02:15 PM

Hmmmmm, OK David, you are probably correct about damaging their Raptor.

I wish my kid felt the same way------he has already banged up the body of HIS Raptor a couple of times-----and it does not seem to bother him much. Go figure!!! Different strokes for different folks, for sure!! Me, I would walk in too. :yes:

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 02:18 PM

Hmmmmm, OK David, you are probably correct about damaging their Raptor.

I wish my kid felt the same way------he has already banged up the body of HIS Raptor a couple of times-----and it does not seem to bother him much. Go figure!!! Different strokes for different folks, for sure!! Me, I would walk in too. :yes:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 02:28 PM

Well, it is a truck... and like me, it wasn't bought for trips to the mall!

I am sure we don't intentionally try and dent or damage our trucks, but we do buy 4WD Off Road vehicles to get us into these special places... and the dents under my Tacoma are badges of honor from Mission Santa Maria! I did replace my rear bumper ($50 for used one) as there was no way to straighten the chrome thing back to original position.

We were all having a grand time!

This was after I pushed it back... it was sticking straight back almost!

You will see both Art's and mine are on the driver's side... same rock ledge grabbed the bumpers as we drove off it.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 02:37 PM

There is a cure for that-----------find a BIG rock, or a sturdy palm tree, and back into it until the bent bumper is sorta back in place------------done it many times, and works pretty good.
:lol:

Barry
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.