Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta San Francisquito - fuel? Camping or Palapas
captain.olives

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 03:50 PM
Punta San Francisquito - fuel? Camping or Palapas

Has anyone been out there recently? Is there fuel available via drums there or close by?

Sunday or Monday a group of us on dirt bikes plan on visiting for a night. We will be coming from Bahia de los Angeles, then continuing on via El Arco to Vizcaino.

Bahia de los Angeles to Vizcaino will stretch all of our bikes fuel range, and we will carry bladders for extra range. Would be a huge peace of mind if we could take on a few gallons in San Francisquito.

I have heard mixed reviews of the old resort at San Francisquito (never been). Would you spend the evening there or just camp up on the bay north of the airfield. I think there is a fish camp there? Meals available? Other suggestions?

Looking forward to being in Baja again! Thanks in advance for your input.

[Edited on 1-21-2015 by captain.olives]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 03:55 PM

Rancho Escondido and Rancho Piedra Blanca have fuel advertised and look forward to off roaders to visit. They are both west of San Francisquito on the road to El Arco.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63897#pid7706...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rancho-Piedra-Blanca/11752899...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 06:01 PM
Gasolina

We were at San Francisquito on Friday the 16th. Cool & very windy on the beach; we camped in a wash 5 miles west. There is only one sort of palapa that could be considered habitable - $20 per person and it's got three beds. Everything else is junk. No Gasolina - we asked.

Half way to El Arco from Francisquito is a rancho on the north side of the road, Rancho Piedra Blanco (or Blanca) with cabins, some meals, camping. Cabins $15 per person & the woman offered us free tent camping. Very limited food available that day. When we were there on Sunday the 18th they had no gasoline. The woman there speaks pretty good English.

We didn't try El Arco as we didn't need anything.

Near the road from Bay of LA and the start of the road uphill toward El Arco is another what looks like a really pretty new "tourist" spot. I'll have to think of the name. Very clean cabins for $30, didn't check the cost of camping. Food is on a menu but they had nothing that day. No gasoline. I can get you exact location via gps if you want.

We went on another 7 miles south to El Barril - no gasoline, no food, not very friendly.

Road from San Francisquito to El Arco is in good shape. We took the main road from El Arco to highway 1 - fast and really good except for two or three bad washouts which are marked.

I can be more specific if you wish.

Edit - I should have read David's reply more closely - Rancho Escondido is the one I couldn't think of the name. We got beer and soda there. Really nice young couple operate the place. I could post a map with the exact location if you need it. BTW - one guy at El Barril said they often have gasoline at Escondido but the folks there said not now. - Does that mean now as in today or now as in this month?

John M

[Edited on 1-22-2015 by John M]
captain.olives

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 07:02 PM

John, thanks for the first hand update. Sounds like its going to be prudent for us strap on a gallon of gas to our bodies in bleach bottles again. Bola to Vizcaino is right at the edge of all our fuel ranges. I always like to be safe and have a little wiggle room for nav errors or side trips.

Bummed that the place in Punta San Fransciquito doesnt sound so hospitable. It one of those places I have never been in baja over the years. We have a dozen bikes, so camping on the beach or checking either of the ranches might be the way to go this trip.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captain.olives  
John, thanks for the first hand update. Sounds like its going to be prudent for us strap on a gallon of gas to our bodies in bleach bottles again. Bola to Vizcaino is right at the edge of all our fuel ranges. I always like to be safe and have a little wiggle room for nav errors or side trips.

Bummed that the place in Punta San Fransciquito doesnt sound so hospitable. It one of those places I have never been in baja over the years. We have a dozen bikes, so camping on the beach or checking either of the ranches might be the way to go this trip.

Captain, as a former Paramedic that has treated numerous burn patients, I would hope that there is a better way to carry fuel than in a plastic bottle on your back... just sayin. The trip you have lined out sounds like a great time, one you will be talking about for years to come. JH
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 07:35 PM

John M, Dont you mean the Cabanas? , not the palapas. The palapas are on the sand just north of the last bath house. They never put the cots out under palapas there. I am not surprised theres only one habitable cabana remaining. I was going to PSFO every year all through the 90's and even back then, they were jury rigging the beams due to bug infestation. Wonderful, magical place back then when Pepe was the caretaker. Chari was good too. Wish they'd get the improvments done.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 07:40 PM

I think the unfriendly folks referred to were at El Barril, I have also found that to be true. While Francisquito is not what it used to be the place is still one of the most lovely in Baja and as of last year we were treated very well there. We camped on the beach and had breakfast before driving out through El Arco. Rancho Piedra Blanca is worth the stop.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 07:50 PM

Yes Kurt G. El Barril has always been unappreciative of folks just "showing up". Very exclusive, low key/low profile resort catering to those well heeled. I was invited only once, when Brennan"Hevs" McLelland was involved, a Laguna surf guy I knew since I was a little kid.I was staying at PSFO and I was told I could only drop by for lunch.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
John M, Dont you mean the Cabanas? , not the palapas. The palapas are on the sand just north of the last bath house. They never put the cots out under palapas there. I am not surprised theres only one habitable cabana remaining. I was going to PSFO every year all through the 90's and even back then, they were jury rigging the beams due to bug infestation. Wonderful, magical place back then when Pepe was the caretaker. Chari was good too. Wish they'd get the improvments done.

I think I read that Hurricane Odile wiped out most of the cabanas there.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
captain.olives

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  

Captain, as a former Paramedic that has treated numerous burn patients, I would hope that there is a better way to carry fuel than in a plastic bottle on your back... just sayin. The trip you have lined out sounds like a great time, one you will be talking about for years to come. JH

Looking forward to this years trip for sure! We will be doing Loretto, San Javier, Comundu, Scorpian Bay, San Ignacio and a few other loops again.

Loved the Arroyo San Raymundo route from Mulege over the Mtns to Scorpian bay. Or the mission to the north, but told it isnt passable last year when we were there. Central Baja is my favorite place on earth!

If we decide to send a chase vehicle to Punta San Francisquito via El Arco, how is the last grade downhill going east? Would an FJ and high clearance three rail bike trailer (truck wheels) been an issue with some careful driving? Would solve our tight margin of fuel issue.

We are all experienced (cough mature) offroaders in trucks and on bikes. Always good to seek out current info from folks who have been there recently vs just going as I did in my youth... :lol:

[Edited on 1-22-2015 by captain.olives]
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 08:39 PM
Cabana not palapas

I mis-stated. The only one with a roof at Rancho San Francisco was indeed a cabana. I didn't mean to imply that the guy we talked to was not hospitable, it was the place. Really falling apart. Bathhouse and toilets had no water when we stopped.

The last grade downhill going east wasn't in bad shape at all. An FJ with trailer would have no problems. There is probably a mile or two of soft sand/gravel when you drive in and cross a major wash in the area of Piedra Blanca but simply keeping the momentum up would avoid problems.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 08:55 PM

There IS fuel at San Francisquito... You need to go see Beto up by the bay to the north. However, it is pricey! But, I'd rather carry cash than a bleach bottle full of gas! If Beto isn't there, his brother Memo will be.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 09:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
There IS fuel at San Francisquito... You need to go see Beto up by the bay to the north. However, it is pricey! But, I'd rather carry cash than a bleach bottle full of gas! If Beto isn't there, his brother Memo will be.

I'd opt for both!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 09:33 PM

Beautiful spot....some the worse for wear over the past 4 years.....glad we got there before the earthquake and storms....I feel for the folks who are still trying to make it work....

[Edited on 1-22-2015 by Sweetwater]

[Edited on 1-22-2015 by BajaNomad]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-22-2015 at 11:48 AM

Gas in a bleach / oil / pop bottle is standard operating procedure for moto travel.....you have to remember that distance desert riding is only part of the counter-intuitive behaviours demonstrated by dirtbikers....going along with "if in doubt, pin it".:biggrin:

The farkle types buy those overpriced bleach bottles called "Rotopax" that for the hard-core are stoopid (like top boxes) because you can't throw them away when they are empty:

The average dirt bike crash doesn't involve a spark or other ignition source....but when it does......:O

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2015 at 12:05 PM

perfect for the eleven foot soft top!

captain.olives

[*] posted on 1-22-2015 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Gas in a bleach / oil / pop bottle is standard operating procedure for moto travel.....you have to remember that distance desert riding is only part of the counter-intuitive behaviours demonstrated by dirtbikers....going along with "if in doubt, pin it".:biggrin:

The farkle types buy those overpriced bleach bottles called "Rotopax" that for the hard-core are stoopid (like top boxes) because you can't throw them away when they are empty:

The average dirt bike crash doesn't involve a spark or other ignition source....but when it does......:O

Yep, its the route you take once you already have a desert tank and fuel bladders yet still need more range! Back in the two stroke days EVERYONE left camp in Baja with a bottle or two or of gas strapped somewhere.:tumble:

[Edited on 1-23-2015 by captain.olives]

[Edited on 1-23-2015 by captain.olives]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-22-2015 at 06:19 PM

I have a desert tank and a FULL bladder :biggrin:

Safari tank= 13 litres

Stock tank= 13 litres

Don't believe everything you think....
captain.olives

[*] posted on 1-22-2015 at 07:17 PM

Safari tank= 13 litres

Stock tank= 13 litres

Sweet 690R... riding buddy has one with the same tank set up!. I'm on a old XR650L stripped down to as close to 600r spec I can get without losing the e start! She is old, but I cant justify anything newer for a once a year bike. I just say no everytime my buddy offer test ride of his 690.... cant be tempted! :biggrin:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2015 at 08:55 PM

Safari tank= 13 litres

Stock tank= 13 litres

Sweet 690R... riding buddy has one with the same tank set up!. I'm on a old XR650L stripped down to as close to 600r spec I can get without losing the e start! She is old, but I cant justify anything newer for a once a year bike. I just say no everytime my buddy offer test ride of his 690.... cant be tempted! :biggrin:

scott summers and this johnny campbell fellow had pretty fair luck on the BRP's ;)

[Edited on 1-23-2015 by willardguy]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.