BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: gas between Bay of LA and Vizcaino?
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 09:07 AM
gas between Bay of LA and Vizcaino?

Hello:
We're new to the forum, but have had a home in San Felipe for 25 years and traveled Baja for 40+years, so it's about time I found this forum! I look forward to getting to know you.
We are riding off road from San Felipe to San Ignacio via the Bay of LA. I am a little concerned about fuel between the Bay of LA and Vizcaino. Does the rancho at ElProgresso still have fuel? How about Piedra Blanca?
Our motorcycles have a little over 100 mile range, the RZR about the same. I carry extra fuel, but it's dangerous and try to avoid carrying too much.
Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 09:12 AM

Welcome to Baja Nomad!

There was a recent post on this, and I think TMW had some data. Rancho Escondido (near El Progreso) and Piedra Blanca advertise they have gas... but when you actually are there, that's what counts! Use the search button at the top left of the page here and put in the ranch names or other details... you can leave blank what you don't know. There is also a search at the bottom of the page too.

Here is a post from John M on the gas there: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77312#pid9596...

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 09:22 AM

In late October, I bought gas in El Arco. It was from a private vendor, but the yard was set up as a business, not just a side of the road guy with a couple of cans.
I did not pay attention to what they charged, didn't care, was having fun!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 11:38 AM

Rancho Escondido (near El Progreso) did not have gas 2-3 weeks ago. Piedra Blanca, we did not ask about gas but the sign says they do and people were there. I don't remember if San Francisquito had gas, maybe John M knows. They normally do.
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 04:11 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. We usually find gas somewhere, paid $8 a gallon at Ramona's, up by Laguna Hansen, last summer, but that's part of the fun in Baja!

Man, I love this site!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 07:11 PM

It's pretty rare not to be able to get gas in most towns. it may take a while and you'll be asking around but I have always found gas in the small towns, The prices do very!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

captain.olives

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 07:58 PM

I just got back Sunday from Baja. They had 19 gallons at Punta San Franciquito that we split up among 13 bikes a week ago Sunday. The week before no gas. If there are only a couple of bikes in your group, it fairly easy to buy a couple of gallons from folks (larger groups not so much). I have no problem paying $6-10 a gallon when folks help me out from their supply.

While signs may advertise food or gas, it seems to be more and more common in recent years that there is neither. Just not as many folks venturing down to Baja these days. The fish camp on the north side of the strip may also have gas if you ask. We didnt encounter any other fuel on the loop from Bola to Vizcaino via Punta San Franciquito/El Arco/Santa Gertrudis on this years trip.

On our return trip we just carried a few extra gallons on us from Vizcaino and dumped into our tanks as soon as possible as I always like to err on having more than enought gas. Its only about 150 miles with nav errors and most of us had 5.8 gallon tanks on our XR's.

It rained a couple of days on this years trip which made the conditions AMAZING! Just south Rachon St Elena there was a blooming meadow with aromatic waist high white flowers. Half way between San Javier and Comundu there was actaully a lot of water in the dry lakes to the east of the trail (never seen them full of water). I imagine there is even more blooming happening in the desert this week. Wish I was joining you!

If you already have big tanks, just carry an extra gallon or two and dump in as soon as you can. Hardly saw anyone else on our week trip until returning to Bola and the score race.

[Edited on 2-7-2015 by captain.olives]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 09:45 PM

last week no gas at Oscar's Rancho Escondido and none at San Fransiquito ... but we had a chase truck with fuel, but others we ran into were asking ...

100 mile fuel range in Baja is absolutely inadequate ... we helped some ADV riders with fuel heading north out of Gonzaga thinking the PEMEX was open 24/7 ... this was at 9pm ...

150 mile fuel range is necessary and run the big tanks like we do...200+ and your good everywhere...

bring parts for the RZR XP's...lots of XP1000's broke down south of Gonzaga lately...people camping in the middle of the desert in the cold unprepared...think ahead amigos:cool:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
captain.olives

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 12:16 AM

Bajarider1, I tend to agree with Desertbull. If it helps to judge, we had 5.8 gallon tanks on the XR's. We put in 3-4 liters of fuel from the MSR dromedarys in each of the tanks to top off part way through the return trip. Finished the trip Vizcaino to Bola in about 4 hours and had just a little over a gallon left in the tanks. Riding slower might improve range, buts there is lots of sand. I cant go slow in the sand. :biggrin:
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 09:09 AM

I agree on the fuel tank issue... Check online at IMS. In the end, it will pay for itself by not having to pay so much for fuel in the boonies.

The "resort" at San Francisquito typically doesn't have much fuel. Check with Beto up by the bay. He almost always has at least a couple hundred gallons or more. :light:

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 03:23 PM

Hi Guys:
I wish we could carry more fuel, it's always an issue. When we rode XR's, or even the old Triumph desert sleds before that, we carried more fuel. We're riding CFR's now and get by with 3.2 gal IMS tanks, the 4.0 gal are just too fat. A 100 mile range has got us by, and we carry extra bottles on the belt if not sure of the gas supply, but more is always better in Baja.

Anyhow, thanks for the intel, and Captain, you are welcome to join us. We're leaving from Pete's Camp the AM of Mar 14, Bay of LA that night, San Ignacio Springs, or Roberto's, Mar 15-16, then back the same route.

The RZR is new, just broken in. I've gone over the entire machine, it was just thrown together by Polaras. I replaced the rear axles with Rhinos, but time and money prevent any more mods or spare parts until after this trip. I know these things are junk, but will hope for the best this trip. We always ride motorcycles, and have for over 40 years, with no problems, but we tear them down after every trip. Do you have any idea what broke on the RZR's you saw stranded? (I will have a spare fuel pump, voltage regulator and crank position sensor by next trip, but dropped over 25G on the RZR for this trip and need to keep peace at home when spending $ on the "toys").
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
... but we had a chase truck with fuel, ...

the smartest thinking posted in this thread...think ahead

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 05:05 PM

A chase truck was what the RZR was supposed to be, kind of, but it has turned out to be more of a liability. We always have a truck in San Felipe and can ride back to get it. That would surely means a night in the desert, but it's always difficult to find somebody who wants to give up their bike to drive the truck.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 06:23 PM

one RZR XP 1000 had a broken axle, those things are skinny as a #2 pencil...the other one we found a few days later had broken steering rack components and they spent the night in a wash between the south end of Calamajue Wash and El Cucero...entire family spent the night on the desert floor in the ice cold and wind...about a month ago...then the nightmare to get it outta there...they called us for extraction and said,"a truck cannot make it into the RZR," well it was extracted and everyone had an adventure and were safe...its all good until its not.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
one RZR XP 1000 had a broken axle, those things are skinny as a #2 pencil...the other one we found a few days later had broken steering rack components and they spent the night in a wash between the south end of Calamajue Wash and El Cucero...entire family spent the night on the desert floor in the ice cold and wind...about a month ago...then the nightmare to get it outta there...they called us for extraction and said,"a truck cannot make it into the RZR," well it was extracted and everyone had an adventure and were safe...its all good until its not.

They didn't know you don't say "cannot make it" to Desert Bull! :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 06:22 PM

Yes, we usually think of how hot it is in Baja, but it does get cold at night!

Stock RZR's axles are pretty much junk, mild steel and thin. The first thing I did was install Rhino chrome moly axles with stronger CV joints. I'll also check over the steering.

We've gone tip to tip many times on motorcycles, even as a kid before highway 1 was paved, and we have been pretty good at setting the bikes up (used to race) but the RZR is new to me and definitely not as reliable as it should be for Baja, but the trip is on in March, so wish us luck.

Thanks for the input.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 08:26 PM

I Also feel your pain carrying gas.All of our old Xr400/440s get up to 50mpg.All the waterpumper bikes lucky to get 30/35mpg.On our Wr450s Clark 3.6 gal tank,Sometimes 2 gal more on our belts.What a pain to ride.You just have to stop every few miles pour in your tank. You need be prepared,riding in Baja.Your riding along all is great.Then My MY How Quickly things turn to Sh***t Good Luck have a great trip.;)
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:11 PM

Thanks everybody! I hope to see you around during our travels. We are at Pete's Camp, San Felipe, most of the summer.
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:23 PM

BTW Capt, where is Bola? I know that the rain and hurricanes change everything, but the last time I made the trip, 3 years ago. it was pretty much hard pack from Bay of LA through El Arco to Vizczino. I hate riding in sand, and I know, Baja's full of it (sand that is).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:27 PM

"Bola" is a gringo nick name for the English name: Bay Of Los Angeles. I cringe when I hear it! LOL

"L.A. Bay" or the really short, local nick name "Bahia", is more pleasing to the ear (IMO).

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.