BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: insurance for off road vehicle
bajarider1

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 02:26 PM
insurance for off road vehicle

Does anybody know where to get Mexican comprehensive insurance coverage for a CA green sticker vehicle (Polaris RZR)? I checked with my agent in San Felipe, she said it can't be done.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 02:51 PM

My research for motorcycle insurance for Mexico seems to always come up with a condition that such insurance is invalid for off-road operations.

Am I missing something?

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 04:47 PM

The only time an off-road vehicle can be insured with comprehensive coverage is when it is being towed/stored on a trailer. Once it comes off the trailer there is no comp/collision, but you can get liability coverage for when it is being driven on municipal roads.

I am in the a similar situation with my dirt bike that is also a CA green sticker vehicle. It is insured for $4,000 as a towed item on my 4Runner policy and once it comes off the hauler I have a liabilty-only policy for when I am riding on municipal roads.

There is never any coverage when off roading.

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 07:17 PM

That is what we were told also. Have not seen any thing for off road. Be careful on those blind Corners!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
I am in the a similar situation with my dirt bike that is also a CA green sticker vehicle. It is insured for $4,000 as a towed item on my 4Runner policy and once it comes off the hauler I have a liabilty-only policy for when I am riding on municipal roads.

There is never any coverage when off roading.

Geoff,
I have a KTM 690 and it is a legal road bike....what happens if I insure it with you and get in a collision with a truck or boulder when riding on the gravel road south out of BoLA, or from San Javier to Ciudad Insurgentes, or on the road from San Ignacio to San Juanico.....etc?

TIA,
Ged

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 12:04 AM

Hello Ged,

Street legal/plated bikes are eligible for comp/collision coverage.

Many of the dirt/gravel roads in Baja are considered municipal roads so coverage still applies. In general, a dirt/gravel road that is a main thoroughfare, regularly transited by passenger vehicles is considered a municipal road. However, if a section of road becomes impassable due to flooding/washouts/rough terrain then coverage would not apply for that particular section because you are essentially "off roading."

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Geoff

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 12:50 AM

Geoff,
Thanks....that clears up a few Q's....

my crashes "off road" don't usually damage the bike too much....just my bones...

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 04:02 AM

Hello Ged,

Street legal/plated bikes are eligible for comp/collision coverage.

Many of the dirt/gravel roads in Baja are considered municipal roads so coverage still applies. In general, a dirt/gravel road that is a main thoroughfare, regularly transited by passenger vehicles is considered a municipal road. However, if a section of road becomes impassable due to flooding/washouts/rough terrain then coverage would not apply for that particular section because you are essentially "off roading."

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

You and your company have always been very helpful! I always purchase insurance for my green sticker vehicle for my "off-road" travels in Baja through Bajabound just in case anything unforeseen was to happen. It gives me peace of mind knowing the other party will be taken care of and I'm legally insured under the law. I know a lot of people that don't get insurance for their green sticker vehicles and I think it is a crazy gamble...of course, it depends a lot on where a person will be operating their vehicle.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 07:58 AM

Geoff,
Does a drivers license policy cover a green stickered car for liability on municipal roads?

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 09:54 AM

Hehe I hear ya Ged...

Thanks Pacifico! I am the same way...I always carry a liability policy on my dirt bike in the event something happens while in town or when driving on municipal roads.

willyAirstream - I can't speak for all drivers license policies out there, but the ones we offer through ACE and HDI do not cover green stickered vehicles, motorcycles or RV's. They are only for standard vehicles...cars, trucks, vans SUV's etc.

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 10:02 AM

Thanks,
I am happily insured by BajaBound and will be in contact to change the policy.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 10:32 AM

I remember years ago, asking my insurance person about getting insurance for my dirt bike - they had a nice laugh.

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 03:40 PM

willyAirstream - I can't speak for all drivers license policies out there, but the ones we offer through ACE and HDI do not cover green stickered vehicles, motorcycles or RV's. They are only for standard vehicles...cars, trucks, vans SUV's etc.

Geoff,

would you be so kind to explain "drivers license policies" compare to the standard policies with BajaBound?

Thank you,

Karl
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 04:36 PM

Hello Karl,

The drivers license policies provide liability coverage for any standard vehicle that you drive in Mexico (cars, trucks, vans, SUV's etc). The drivers license policies do not provide any coverage for damage/theft of the vehicles. More info here:

http://www.bajabound.com/info/policies/driverslicense.php

For the standard policies, you list one vehicle on the policy and have the option of insuring it for liability-only or full coverage for damage/theft. More info here:

http://www.bajabound.com/info/policies/auto.php

Hope this helps!

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 05:52 PM

Thank you Geoff,

I do have multiple vehicles insured with BajaBound, and will look a bit closer at that info.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2015 at 09:10 AM

Hello Karl,

The drivers license policies provide liability coverage for any standard vehicle that you drive in Mexico (cars, trucks, vans, SUV's etc). The drivers license policies do not provide any coverage for damage/theft of the vehicles. More info here:

http://www.bajabound.com/info/policies/driverslicense.php

This sounds like whats called Broad form insurance like what we have in Wa state?
I didn't know it was available, and put the standard policy on my plated 03 Kawi dual sport and my BMW motorcycle.
I usually truck one or the other down to the border in my old 93 Ranger, then leave it on the US side, Do my ride then return, Always worried about breaking down and have to take the truck across the border to get my bike.

My policy with Bajabound expires in May and I'll renew with the Broad form coverage.
Thanks for the info!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.