Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 'cuda in BOLA last week
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 08:28 AM
'cuda in BOLA last week

I forgot to mention that while trolling some inshore points in the south bay I caught a barracuda. Could not believe it. I don't recall catching barracudas until May at the earliest. Are there some hommie 'cudas that hang there all winter?
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 08:35 AM

Oh, I thought this was a commercial for Fast and Furious 7
:bounce:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:01 AM

At this rate dorado should be showing in a month or so!

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 11:24 AM

I catch those pests all winter long in the bay. And Woody may be right about the dorado, something is going on in the water. For the first three weeks of March there were tons of birds and dolphins chasing bait within a mile of shore and lots of YT in the bait balls. No need for a long run to the reefs, just head out and join the twenty other boats chasing birds off the lighthouse.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
I catch those pests all winter long in the bay. And Woody may be right about the dorado, something is going on in the water. For the first three weeks of March there were tons of birds and dolphins chasing bait within a mile of shore and lots of YT in the bait balls. No need for a long run to the reefs, just head out and join the twenty other boats chasing birds off the lighthouse.

OK, I think on retrospect, I hardly ever fish inside the islands in the winter, run to 7 mile, Remedios, etc. Yes, March was real strange with yellowtail and that giant white sea bass just off the lighthouse.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 02:58 PM

I was down there a few weeks ago. Yellows in front of the light house on the yoyo at 100 feet. Water temp inside the bay was 67. Usually around 59 that time of year. 62 degrees outside of the islands. It's looking like a great fishing year. Headed down for a couple weeks at the end of May.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 03:34 PM

'Cudas are always there, just more numerous when the bait-balls are heavy.

Hint: they make GREAT cut-bait. Keep the meat chilled and just steak 'em out; oily, firm (if kept cold) and smelly, just like my first ex-wife.

Oops, TMI. :( :o

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 03:37 PM

I call them snot sticks.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 10:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
I call them snot sticks.

Bob you cracked Brett and I up on that one. They are slimy buggers and quite a nuisance sometimes.

We are going down May 19 to May 31.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 12:36 PM

Hey, Bob53, have you formed any further opinions on your new Furuno, or is that boat not down there?

Really curious about it's operation and the accuracy of the C-Map card for that area.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:53 PM

A bit of praise here for the lowly Barracuda... like Bonito, I think they are hated more for the fact that they are caught when anglers are targeting something else... IF you can keep them chilled and fresh they are just fine in a smoker...the larger Pacific ones more than their smaller Cortez cousins. They are bad ass mean fish...I like em. (Let the trash talkin begin!!). :)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:05 AM

the logs alonf the left coast make incredible filets when fresh. never tried to freeze em....

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Hey, Bob53, have you formed any further opinions on your new Furuno, or is that boat not down there?

Really curious about it's operation and the accuracy of the C-Map card for that area.

Personally, I like my old 1650F much better. It just seems much easier to use. Maybe because I've had it so long and am used to it. I really don't like having to fumble through all the windows to get to a certain command. More time looking at the screen means less time looking at the water surface. I also like the Navionics software better than the C-Map for that area. I do however like the fishfinder side of the unit and the screen is much easier to see.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
I call them snot sticks.

Bob you cracked Brett and I up on that one. They are slimy buggers and quite a nuisance sometimes.

We won't be arriving there till 5/29. Looks like we're going to miss again. Damnit!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
A bit of praise here for the lowly Barracuda... like Bonito, I think they are hated more for the fact that they are caught when anglers are targeting something else... IF you can keep them chilled and fresh they are just fine in a smoker...the larger Pacific ones more than their smaller Cortez cousins. They are bad ass mean fish...I like em. (Let the trash talkin begin!!). :)

I like them too. But then, there isn't a fish I don't like. Except for those lizardfish. Oh, and the bigmouth bastard as well.

I've fried up barracuda and they're fine eating. Better than bonito IMO.

The worst thing about barracuda is getting them off the hook.
24baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2015 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
I call them snot sticks.

We won't be arriving there till 5/29. Looks like we're going to miss again. Damnit!

This will change very soon! The reason we are missing each other is because we are setting up our trips to work with the actual RETIREMENT DATE 3-31-2016. We will be in Baja sometime in first week of Apr 2016 thru most of June 2016 then come home for fire season.....we will get together sometime in Oct or Nov 2015 or after retirement.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 12:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

I like them too. But then, there isn't a fish I don't like. Except for those lizardfish. Oh, and the bigmouth bastard as well.

Have you tried the Bigmouth Bastard Joe? Igor of L.A. Bay once told me it was his father's fave fish for eating...but man, they is ugly! Wondering if any Nomad's have taken the plunge :?:d
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 05:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Have you tried the Bigmouth Bastard Joe? Igor of L.A. Bay once told me it was his father's fave fish for eating...but man, they is ugly! Wondering if any Nomad's have taken the plunge :?:d

Mike Humfreville said it was the only fish he would target. The fillets are soft, almost buttery, melt-in-your-mouth. Meat-to-mass ratio not high, for sure.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 08:42 AM
A real sweetheart

I thought it tasted like a deep fried sponge:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
24baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 08:52 AM

We catch them and eat them, they make great tacos. We use catfish skinning pliers to skin them before cutting off the filet, works great.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.