BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 4x4 : diesel vs gas, mid vs full size...
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:11 PM
4x4 : diesel vs gas, mid vs full size...

...need some (a lot) of help.... We have a '06 Tacoma 2wd, Pre Runner, 4dr, long bed, before we had an '04 TRD, xcab, 2wd... We started camping at BoLA and then went down to Punta Chivato and Bahia Concepcion; two years ago I tried to go the north road down from San Ignacio to San Juanico but couldn't because of the 2wd limitation, thus I would like to upgrade to a 4x4, 4dr truck that can get us off the pavement and do some mission exploration or just go out in the boonies; have the the ability of pulling a 16' boat (when possible) and the comfort of a slide-in camper (in the future)... I have done some research and started with the option of gas, the first choice was a GMC but learned of the better mpg of the Ford, then looked into diesel: the F250 vs Ram 2500, it seems like the Ram is a better option. I think that for the camper a 2500 SRW would be good. I'm hoping of buying a used vehicle with probably less than 150k... Any thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated. I found the thread on Baja Rigs and saw some really nice examples:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74859&pag...

(clic on beller)
Quote: Originally posted by beller  

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by carlosg]

[Edited on 4-6-2015 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
well you're not gonna put much of a slide-in camper on a ranger?

...thanks willard for the observation, instead of upgrading I just went the other way... I meant the "F" series not the Ranger...:)

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:39 PM
My choice

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4x4, 4 door diesel (short bed).

Great ride, will pull anything. I have a 26ft travel trailer and don't even know it it there when we are on the road. Good ground clearance, decent mileage.

Wife even likes to drive it, she likes that it is a "quiet" diesel.

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by bajaguy]

carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4x4, 4 door diesel (short bed).

Great ride, will pull anything. I have a 26ft travel trailer and don't even know it it there when we are on the road. Good ground clearance, decent mileage.

Wife even likes to drive it, she likes that it is a "quiet" diesel.

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by bajaguy]

Right now this is my first choice: Ram2500 seems like some "luxuries" or comforts in the interior are not like in the Ford but overall it's a better truck with a Cummins engine...

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
Right now this is my first choice: Ram2500 seems like some "luxuries" or comforts in the interior are not like in the Ford but overall it's a better truck with a Cummins engine...

We have the Laramie model and it has all the bells and whistles........including seat heaters. Keeps your pizza warm on the ride home!!

Picked the Ram specifically for the Cummins engine

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:35 PM

depends on what you plan to do. For 25 years we had f-250 diesels because we had a 10 ft Lance camper. Last one was the last of the 7.3ltrs (2002 crew cab 4x4). Great trucks...lots of power, comfortable, diesel runs forever...but heavy trucks. Very heavy.

I decided to down size in 2013. RAM 1500 5.7 ltr quad cab 4x4, gas. because I either pull a 14 ft trailer with 2 quads or a 15 ft boat. no more camper.

I am happy down sizing and obviously willing to change brands.

By the way...wife likes the Ford better because it had a little more room.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
depends on what you plan to do. For 25 years we had f-250 diesels because we had a 10 ft Lance camper. Last one was the last of the 7.3ltrs (2002 crew cab 4x4). Great trucks...lots of power, comfortable, diesel runs forever...but heavy trucks. Very heavy.

I decided to down size in 2013. RAM 1500 5.7 ltr quad cab 4x4, gas. because I either pull a 14 ft trailer with 2 quads or a 15 ft boat. no more camper.

Do you mean going back to the Ford? Why? How about reliance or maintenance, which brand you think needs more "attention"?

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 09:54 PM

I have owned and used many trucks in Baja. I have travel buddies with TOYotas.

The cummins diesel is the best on the market and I own a Ford Powerstroke.

The new small truck diesels are to hit the marlket, but the EPA has made those things unusable in California. With particulate and heat control, why bother.

The new gas 1/2 tons are priced way too high fully loaded.

I would look for a pre-tree hugger Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. The trannies are not as good as Ford or Chevy. Scour the diesel forums and make the necessary upgrades. Stay away from over-size tires and race tunes.

There nothing like blowing past all the gas trucks fully loaded on Mex1 while getting 13MPG.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 11:41 PM

Dodge Cummins....Ol Smokey has almost 350,000 miles on him, carries a Lance camper or pulls a 26 foot 5th wheel while getting 13-15 MPG. Came up from Baja (2200 miles) this year with neither and got over 20 MPG....My 3rd one, started with a 1990....Fords ride better....Dodges work....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 07:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Do you mean going back to the Ford? Why? How about reliance or maintenance, which brand you think needs more "attention"?

No... She liked the older Ford better because it had more seat room. Maintenance is about the same I think. Oil changes were more for the diesel because it held 14 quarts and the expensive fuel filter was more critical. The Ford got 18 mpg unloaded and 15 loaded. The Ram gets 18-20 unloaded (depending on how fast I am going) and about 15 loaded, pulling the trailer, and about 10 if you constantly put your foot into it using all the 400 HP.

Bought the RAM because it was better equipped, the reviews are a lot better now (10 years ago I would not have touched one), and the RAM dealer gave a great price on one where Ford would not deal. The rRAM has been a god truck for the first 35,000 miles.

one last note...All new vehicles are totally computer controlled. They are not your mom and dads 57 cheby.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
No mentions of the F150 aluminum truck?
I've been watching this waiting to see if it pops up.
Seems like a decent family option.

New make over entirely. Probably too new yet. If I was in the market I would surely look at it.
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 09:30 AM
aluminum f 150

One of the auto sites did a comparison of the cost to fix dented panel on the bed body of aluminum vs old style. You should read it before you buy. May have been Edmonds?

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
No mentions of the F150 aluminum truck?
I've been watching this waiting to see if it pops up.
Seems like a decent family option.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 09:42 AM

For what it is worth, I currently have a 2013 Ram with the Cummins and all of the goodies, I love my truck. Seating is more comfortable than my Lazy Boy plus the heated and cooled seats, ahhhh.

My mileage; 20-21 empty on the highway, I live in a very rugged, steep mountainous area and get 16 to 17 MPG, towing my 10,000+ toy hauler or equipment trailer, 10.5 almost everywhere I go.

After driving and loving my 2001 Ram with the Cummins and an automatic transmission 135,000 trouble free miles, I was convinced to stick with what was working for me.

As a side note, when my wife and I pulled into our driveway with both the old and new Ram's, a local Fireman stopped in front of my house, walked over and said I want to buy your truck if it is for sale. He bought it that day and is still happily pulling his trailer and driving around town with it today. JH

[Edited on 4-5-2015 by bajamedic]
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 12:18 PM

If you're considering a 3/4 ton to 1 ton truck, my recommendation is to attempt to track down the General Motors/Chevrolet diesel of the '05 to '07 vintages. The superior tuning of the LBZ version of that turbo diesel Duramax in combination with the 6 speed Allison transmission makes them superior to any of the other trucks of that age. They are available as standard, extended and full cabs with a medium 6' bed or a longer 8' bed. I've got one friend with the 1 ton, 4 door, 8' bed version who has a goose neck 36' fifth wheel and an 11' slide in camper. The truck runs with either at full freeway speeds. It doesn't need any supplemental fluids and has a ton of aftermarket add-ons for performance, lift or any other customization even though the stock version is fully qualified. There is an earlier version of that motor/trans combination known as the LLY, years are '04-'05 which can be tuned to the LBZ performance, might be even more affordable.
As far as the newer trucks go, technology is outstanding but be prepared to pay a house payment to get one......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 12:42 PM

My daughter has TWO Duramax diesels....Nice trucks but both stickered close to 50K....A "performance chip" was added to one, which voided the warranty and caused a transmission failure...The Allison replacement was on the North end of 12K....I'll keep my Dodges, Thank you...The 1990 which was my first Cummins Dodge, I gave to my son and last time I checked had over 900,000 miles on it...1 ton Dually, 2 WD....Rattles and rust but still farmin....

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 03:00 PM

Ya, I know plenty of Dodge nightmares which is why I was so specific with my info. I wouldn't touch some of the newer trucks that have to meet some pretty ugly regs to burn diesel fuel. One of the shorter but balanced reviews I've read is here: http://www.btdaa.com/blog/what-is-the-best-diesel-out-there/

I forget that BN gets over run by emotions rather than data. Hope your Dodges keep running well.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 03:19 PM

Actually, My son took a 2012 Cummins to Baja this year, pumped Mexican Diesel into it for 2 months, never burped..So? Unless you have an ACTUAL incident...I think "Caballo Ca-Ca"....NOW that's "data"

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 03:29 PM

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Ram_2500/2006/

Data...happy easter......chuck

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 03:31 PM

BTW, comparative data...chuck...if you can still read....

http://www.carcomplaints.com/GMC/Sierra_2500/2006/

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2015 at 03:42 PM

Some people read...Other people do....You categorized your self.....

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.