Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: When a Toyota just can't get the job done
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 09:29 AM
When a Toyota just can't get the job done

Actually this is my trip report for a very citty day of fishing. Me, my wife and another couple chartered a 22 foot panga for a day of fishing. Turns out the panga's commercial license restricts it to launching and fishing to the Pacific side of Punta Banda only and specifically to launching at Arboritos (about a mile south of Buffadora) only. That launch ramp is a short concrete slab with about a 6 inch drop off onto rocks and it is at the bottom of a narrow steep dirt road that is about 1/4 mile long.

Anyway we were supposed to meet the boat at the parking area at the top of that road. When the boat showed up, almost 1 hour late and the boat/trailer was towed by an older rear wheel drive Toyota. We loaded all our gear and the 4 of us into the boat and proceeded down the grade to the launch ramp. After about 6 tries he got the boat into the water and off the trailer with the captain on board. The other guy that waswith him took the Toyota and trailer back up the hill to the parking area and the walked back down and got on board and we were off fishing.

We tried trolling for quit a distance without a single hit. Then we switched to bottom fishing at about 10 different spots stretching south almost to Erendira with very little luck. About noon we started heading north again stopping at several spots where the captain said there would be large lings but all we caught were small fish, most of which were to small to keep. Anyway we got back to the launch ramp after be on the water for almost 8 hours with only half a box of small bottom fish and the captain let the other guy off to walk up the hill and bring the Toyota/ trailer down.

After a lot of tries he got the trailer backed int the water enough to get the boat onto the trailer and winched into place. That's when the fun started . The Toyota just was spinning the wheels trying to get us up the ramp so we all got off the boat and into to bed of the Toyota but it still couldn't even get the boat/trailer up onto the concrete pat of the ramp. That's when my fishing partner walked up the hill and drove my 5,800 pound GMC Yukon down to the ramp and hooked to the front of the Toyota/ trailer/ boat. Pulling that up the launch ramp was no problem for the rear wheel drive Yukon and he unhooked and let the Toyota take it the rest of the way.

As soon as he started up the steep grade it was back to wheel spinning and putting people in the bed didn't help any. So it was back to hooking up my Yukon again which made the entire length of the towed package close to 65 feet which wasn't a problem except for one sharp turn in the uphill grade where the back of the boat was actually hanging over the 50 foot cliff.

By the time we unloaded our gear from the boat and put it in the Yukon it was after 5:00 and we paid the guy for the agreed upon price for the chitty day on the water MINUS $25 for the tow job and he wasn't very happy but he unhooked the boat/ trailer and left it in the parking area because he still had about 2 miles of uphill to go before reaching the summit and had no more confidence in the Toyota making it. He had his brother come back with his F-150 to get the boat.

Bob Durrell
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 09:40 AM

No aTrac.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 09:57 AM

Detract( from the Toyota)

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 11:15 AM

Other than "that" how was the day ... :biggrin::biggrin:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 12:17 PM

you must be kidding - you charged that poor Mexican $25 for helping him?

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

By the time we unloaded our gear from the boat and put it in the Yukon it was after 5:00 and we paid the guy for the agreed upon price for the chitty day on the water MINUS $25 for the tow job and he wasn't very happy...

that aint right! you should go back and give the poor guy his $25!

and i don't suppose you tipped him, eh?

[Edited on 4-24-2015 by mtgoat666]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 01:00 PM

Pretty harsh, bet he would have towed you for free if the situation was reversed...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 03:02 PM

I have towed, pushed and jump started others including Mexicans before and never asked for anything. However they weren't charging me $200 for not knowing WTF they were doing and they certainly weren't towing a boat.

Bob Durrell
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 03:10 PM

So your $25 was to get back at them? I am sure it worked.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 03:47 PM

Yep.....a bad day of fishing can do that to a guy. :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 03:47 PM

No, the 25.00 was for the towing....

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 03:57 PM

Comparing an old Toyota Mini truck to a Newer GMC Yukon? Hmmm. Those are some different animals made for totally different things.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-24-2015 at 03:57 PM

Seemed reasonable ... they might have not been able to even get back to the "ramp" ... on their own

If their "launching of a boat" is any indicator of their abilities ... to do this kinda work for a living

It may a been a public service, for others ...

Or do ya plan to use him and his pard again ... :lol::lol:

thanks I needed that ...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.