Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Newbies Driving the Baja First Time - Help
ColdinCalgary

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 10:45 AM
Newbies Driving the Baja First Time - Help

We are newbies to the Baja and to this forum. We will be driving from Canada to Cabo San Lucas this fall for the first time. Of course, we have 100 questions and we are looking for some advice from those of you who have travelled the area. We are planning a 2 week journey.

We will be crossing the border in California, and we are thinking about using the Tecate crossing. We want to avoid Tijuana. Thoughts on this crossing?

What are the recommended stops to see along the way that are both safe and picturesque?

What should we know about driving in Mexico? Tips, tricks, etc.

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 10:50 AM
Helpful tips

#1. Get your Mexican car insurance from Bajabound http://www.bajabound.com/

#2. Get your FMM's at the border

#3. Don't drive at night
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 10:52 AM

Welcome to Nomads Calgary, knowledgeable folks will be along shortly to give you more advice than you can imagine.:biggrin:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 10:54 AM

Start here:

http://www.bajabound.com/before/

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 11:14 AM

I know you want and will get more detailed information, but here is my view. I did the drive from Washington in February for the first time. I had an idea of a plan but I went slowly and zigged and zagged wherever it looked interesting, which was most everywhere. There is incalculable beauty everywhere, take the time to see it. Meet the people and visit nomads along the way. Relax and enjoy! I spent over a month, mostly alone, and wished for more! I plan on doing it again next March. You'll be hooked and never look at life the same.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 11:36 AM

We need to know more about your means of travel......passenger car? truck/SUV you can sleep in? RV of some type? Hotels all the way?

Two weeks from the California border or two weeks from Calgary? What month in the fall? September is a lot different than November, in terms of weather.

Why are you going to Cabo San Lucas? Is it to fulfill a dream of driving to the tip? Are you meeting friends there?

Cabo is OK, but it's pretty darn expensive and pretty far down there, for a two week trip.

Fall is a great time to be on the Pacific side. I would concentrate on that area.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 11:54 AM

From Calgary to Los Cabos back and forth in 2 weeks?? Are you planning to be a rally driver? Have you any idea what that distance entails? You plan to drive 70 mph on highway 1 in Baja and seeing the sites at the same time? And sleep at the roadside, so you can have an early start in the morning, so not to miss out on your next adventure?

Better look at the map and get a grip on reality.
Head west and have your adventure in gorgeous B.C and save this trip for when you have lots more time.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 12:05 PM

Vandenburg is right. You have 1600 miles from Calgary to San Diego. 3 full days in each direction. That gives you 3 days down Baja and 3 days back up. That's all seat time with almost no stops and sight seeing.

The fuel costs would just about pay for airfare to Cabo and then rent a car and explore Cabo to Loreto, maybe up to San Ignacio with plenty of time to eat, swim, siesta, tourista, etc.

I love to drive and have been known to do stupid amounts of miles in a day but your schedule makes my sitting muscles hurt just thinking about it.

Andy
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 12:37 PM

Hey, Calgary!

Most of us seasoned Baja travelers have done the peninsula trip many times, and unless you HAVE to see the LAND'S END rocks, Cabo is not worth while to spend more than ½ day. There is no land access to the rocks and there is also no beach access (except for a small strip about a mile west of Cabo where you can park in one of the 20 stalls and walk to the water). If you are a fan of Cabo Wabo, that is a stop. But other than that there is a regular hotel there called www.mardecortez.com that is across the street from Cabo Wabo and a block away from the marina. Another activity in Cabo is a dinner boat that includes buffet style food and all the booze you can drink. They take you to land's end (do it at sunset time) and over to the other side. So if you like loud music and love to party, this is the worthwhile entertainment. Plan on a minimum of three days of just about straight driving.

The must stops are: in Tijuana and eat at Mission 19.
Ensenada, stop at the fish market (make a right at the first traffic light just as you come into town) and eat some fish tacos.
San Quintin...eat some oysters
San Ignacio...visit the mission, eat a date empanada, sit @ the benches in the plaza, and stay at the Ignacio inn B&B YURTS.
Santa Rosalia...Stop at the historic bakery and visit the all copper church. Stay at Las Rocas hotel.
Mulege...drive all the way to the light house and drive all the one-way streets. Enjoy the very old town sights. Eat some augratin clams at one of the taco stands. Or some goat birria or barbacoa or tacos across from the El Candil restaurant.
Loreto...historic old town, and stay somewhere on the Malecon. (lots of places)
From Loreto, head to La Paz. There is a cute little B&B called Casa Tuscany. It is located ½ block west of the Malecon, and up the hill from the Aplebees restaurant (DO NOT EAT THERE!). Then, once you are settled, drive over to the point to Tecolote beach (make a right at the Applebees and follow the Malecon road all the way to the end. There you will encounter several places that will take you in a panga for a swim among the sea creatures(sea lions, dolphins, etc.) at the end of the large island (Espiritu Santo). Then they will land on a beach cove on the island and feed you a picnic lunch.
Then, one day you can head over to Cabo and spend the day or stay at the aforementioned hotel.

That should take the most of two weeks, and leaves you 4 days to drive back to Canada.

[Edited on 7-21-2015 by Udo]

[Edited on 7-21-2015 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 01:06 PM

I'm with BajaUtah.... fly in and then get a rental car. Too much driving, too little time...

Now, if you had 4-6 weeks :) :P

Not to thread hi-jack, but I've basically discarded the idea of buying a nice motorhome and travelling...

$100,000 goes a long way in airfare, hotel/motel and rental car...

and the depreciation and fuel expense to boot

Alan from San Diego
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 01:31 PM

I agree with some of the above comments

I think your trying to pack to much in

crossing a Tecate is fine,,, spend some time in Ensenada,

then on to San Quintin spend a few days there

Bahia Los Angeles is a must stop for a few day

then to Mulege should be your final stop
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 01:34 PM
Do you need to come down through CA?

If I were you, I would head for the El Centro/Mexicalli area. It would be more direct for you and not only would you miss the Tijuana congestion, you would not have to deal withe the megalopolis of Los Angeles to San Diego.

I stay in Northern CA during the winter, and come down through Nevada or the east side of CA to avoid the I-5 or Highway 99 corridor for that reason. for me it is longer, but my vacation starts on great roads with wonderful scenery right from the beginning.

From El Centro you can head west toward San Diego on US 8, and take the highway 94 exit to Tecate (nice road!) or you can cross into mexico at Calexico/Mexicalli. From Mexicalli, you can head south on Mex 5, or west on Mex 2 to Tecate and Ensenada.

What are you driving? It will make a difference on recommendations for places to see.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
From Calgary to Los Cabos back and forth in 2 weeks?? Are you planning to be a rally driver? Have you any idea what that distance entails? You plan to drive 70 mph on highway 1 in Baja and seeing the sites at the same time? And sleep at the roadside, so you can have an early start in the morning, so not to miss out on your next adventure?

Better look at the map and get a grip on reality.
Head west and have your adventure in gorgeous B.C and save this trip for when you have lots more time.

I didn't read anything that said ROUND TRIP.

ColdinCalgary

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 02:16 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific! We are planning to spend the winter in Cabo, so it will be a one way trip. We plan to do the drive around the beginning of November. We would like to take our time and see one coast on the way down in November and then tour the other coast on the way back next spring. We will be driving down again the following fall, so we don't have to pack it all into this trip. However, we've never driven anywhere in Mexico and were are nervous about which border to cross at and any other "strange" things that may or may not happen on the road.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
#1. Get your Mexican car insurance from Bajabound http://www.bajabound.com/

#2. Get your FMM's at the border

#3. Don't drive at night

========
I never would recommend travel in Baja unless I had a workable cell phone.
Most reliable are ATT and Telcel. Lots of threads here to get and how to use.
Your cell phone needs emergency and friends contact numbers.
Paul
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColdinCalgary  
Sorry, I should have been more specific! We are planning to spend the winter in Cabo, so it will be a one way trip.

Ah, different animal then - plenty of time. From Salt Lake City I drive I15 to Las Vegas then the 95 to Blythe, Brawley and cross at Mexicali. Down Mex 5 to San Felipe and cross a 25 mile dirt stretch called Coco's Corner to Mex 1 and down. This route avoids TJ, Ensenada, the San Quintin valley and the crap section of road around Catavinia. Basically this route avoids most large towns except Mexicali. You can stay in San Felipe, Guerrero Negro, Loreto and then Cabo the next day. You still get a beautiful coast drive from San Felipe to Gonzaga bay and the Vale de los Cirios. Lots of opportunity to side trip to Punta Abreojos and La Bocana. You do an easy stop in San Ignacio and Mulege.

Easy to get your FMM in Mexicali. The Casa de Cambios in Calexico can get you Pesos and you can ATM in Mexicali or San Felipe. Pay for your fuel in Pesos to avoid most hanky panky. While most hotels will take credit cards I pay in cash and have never had to complain about double charges or skimmed cards.

The previous comments about not driving at night are worth paying attention to if you don't know the roads. Drunks, vehicles with no lights, cows, cows with no lights, drunk cows with no lights can all be issues.

The Mex 5 and Mex 1 is mostly not a US style highway. It's more like a country lane with buses and trucks and, of course cows. You will find some modernized stretches but then it's back to skinny asphalt with no run offs when you least expect it.

Have fun. I've done the drive 4 times in the last 2 years and have had 0 issues. I drive with my eyes open and expect the unexpected.

Andy
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 02:59 PM

Crossing in Tecate is a good plan. You can get your tourist visa at the border there, as well as insurance on the US side at the little market in the small shopping plaza. You can also exchange pesos there, get gas. On the way down Mex. 3, stop at some of the wineries for tasting. Visit the missions. Go into Bahia de Los Angeles, then take the back road to San Borja mission. You don't mention if you have off-road/4WD capability, and what your interests are and if you'll be camping at all. Several northerly locales would bear a visit if you're able to camp overnight: Agua Caliente hotsprings off Mex. 3; Guadalupe hotsprings; entering the national park forest off Mex. 2 past Laguna Hanson (east of Tecate, then south), for an interesting backroads drive. Maybe a drive up to Sierra San Pedro Martir. Get the Baja Almanac map book.
ColdinCalgary

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 03:12 PM

We will be driving a 4WD, but we won't having camping gear with us. So, we need to stick to overnights with hotel options. Suggestions?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 03:18 PM

I would go through TJ. It's much easier and you don't drive through the town, get on the toll road and cruse to Ensenada. Check out the Trip Reports and see what others have done and you decide, then ask specific questions back here. You'll need to do your own heavy lifting as to your vacation. The beaches on the pacific side are often overlooked.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Crossing in Tecate is a good plan. You can get your tourist visa at the border there, as well as insurance on the US side at the little market in the small shopping plaza. You can also exchange pesos there, get gas. On the way down Mex. 3, stop at some of the wineries for tasting. Visit the missions. Go into Bahia de Los Angeles, then take the back road to San Borja mission. You don't mention if you have off-road/4WD capability, and what your interests are and if you'll be camping at all. Several northerly locales would bear a visit if you're able to camp overnight: Agua Caliente hotsprings off Mex. 3; Guadalupe hotsprings; entering the national park forest off Mex. 2 past Laguna Hanson (east of Tecate, then south), for an interesting backroads drive. Maybe a drive up to Sierra San Pedro Martir. Get the Baja Almanac map book.

However, if they are driving from the North on I-5, Tecate is way out of the way. The new border crossing facilities really avoid Tijuana, inasmuch as once you clear there, you will be on a road that is quite safe.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.