Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RT to Mulege. Border check and road report
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2015 at 12:38 PM
RT to Mulege. Border check and road report

I just came back from my first trip down to my new casa with a 6x10 enclosed trailer.
TJ was no problem. No lists needed, no special forms. Looked in the car area and sent me and my trailer to the x-ray lane. 15 min total which gave me time to get my visas. Very smooth. I was impressed.

Checkpoints going south were a quick look in the trailer and car. Nothing searched past the first bag or two in the car. Normal checks all the way.

enjoy and watch out for potholes around Catavina (north and south). some patchwork repair going there as well.

Lee S
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 06:54 PM

Short, but sweet, thanks for the info re the X-ray
reneske
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 07:55 PM

We had them xray our trailer once in Tecate, but it was on the US side of the border.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 08:24 PM

Anyone know if they use X-ray at Otay?

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 09:46 PM

Thanks much for the info.

We have a RV and have never been X-rayed. What does it do to the stuff in the refer and cabinet's? Do the humans and pets have to exist the RV?

Thks
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 06:18 AM

Coming into Us through Tecate my experience with x-ray was having to exit our oversized van and stand on the side while they drove a box truck past it and back again.
They had lined up several cars and we all stood there while this happened. While this was going on I thought of my oversized Bible laying on the bed in our van and while discussing the procedure with an amicable BP agent I asked what they would see of my Bible that would look something like a brick of MJ lying on my bed.
He said it probably wouldn't raise any interest as most people wouldn't leave a brick of MJ sitting on their bed while transiting the border area...
I had heard most people are blind to the obvious, wouldn't want to test that though.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 06:41 AM

Most people are blind to the obvious. I got sent to secondary inspection at lukeville. They searched the truck thoroughly. As I was driving away I realized that the whole dash was covered with fireworks. Hidden in plain site.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Anyone know if they use X-ray at Otay?

On the US side in secondary there is some sort of X-ray device you slowly drive through.

Also, southbound at Otay (US side) we were once directed into a large lot on your right just before crossing into Mexico. There were about 10 - 12 vehicles there.....we had to exit our vehicles and USCBP drove a box van up one side of the vehicles, and down the other. after that we were free to cross into Mexico

I don't know if Mexican Aduana has an x-ray device at Otay southbound
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-27-2015 at 07:09 AM

I would prefer an x ray inspection of my pop up tent trailer to having to crank it up, slide it out just so they can stick there head in for 3 seconds tell me OK, then I get to reverse the procedure again.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2015 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
Thanks much for the info.

We have a RV and have never been X-rayed. What does it do to the stuff in the refer and cabinet's? Do the humans and pets have to exist the RV?

Thks

I have only been X-rayed once on the Mexican side of the border in TJ and yea, all people and pets were asked to exit the vehicle and stand behind a large metal wall as the machine passed over the line of 4-5 cars. With regards to food, we had ice chests full and didn't notice anything different. I guess only time will tell if it had any effect!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 09:15 AM
Drive thru x-ray machines

https://thewere42.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/drive-thru-x-ray-...
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 10:54 AM

I have been told that all trailers must go thru Otay. What's up with that?

The harder I work, the luckier I get
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 11:09 AM

I don't know about "must" go through Otay but Otay is the commercial crossing best set-up for importing stuff. I bet over 90% of the traffic at San Ysidro is passenger cars, mostly commuters. I seldom see trucks or large RVs and I cross a couple of times a month. And, I was once turned around at San Ysidro and told to use Otay when I had an outboard motor in the trunk of my car. They wouldn't let me through at San Ysidro.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.