Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2016 Tacoma Crawl Control
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 09:49 AM
2016 Tacoma Crawl Control

Just what David K wanted and others need for Baja.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/watch-the-2016-toyota-tacoma-r...
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 09:53 AM

That's pretty impressive!

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 10:09 AM

That is how A-TRAC works too. I think the same components are used for crawl?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 10:23 AM

I've self rescued several 2x vehicles from up to the axels sand by simply removing the spark plugs to eliminate compression and then using the starter motor/ flywheel interface, which provides a ratio of between 15:1 and 20:1 + the ratio of the manual transmission gears and the rear end.

Of course the Tacoma design doesn't reure you the carry a spark plug wrench to remove and reinstall the plugs but I'm sure their design costs a lot more.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That is how A-TRAC works too. I think the same components are used for crawl?

I notice that in the crawl mode the wheels are turning in reverse. Does A-TRAC do that too?

Bob Durrell
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
I've self rescued several 2x vehicles from up to the axels sand by simply removing the spark plugs to eliminate compression and then using the starter motor/ flywheel interface, which provides a ratio of between 15:1 and 20:1 + the ratio of the manual transmission gears and the rear end.

Of course the Tacoma design doesn't reure you the carry a spark plug wrench to remove and reinstall the plugs but I'm sure their design costs a lot more.

I've done it in similar way with a VW, but just pulled the coil wire
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 11:24 AM

My Kia does just about the same thing! (shovel and jack sold separately)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 12:44 PM

My Prius doesn't exactly do that, but gas consumption is so little, I could sit there and spin the tires for 24 hours. :bounce:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 12:58 PM

As DK stated:

If we use our traction control to begin with, it never would have gotten stuck!

Most of us who have off-roader for many years, know how to "rock" the vehicle to get it on top of the sand.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
As DK stated:

Most of us who have off-roader for many years, know how to "rock" the vehicle to get it on top of the sand.

Nothing beats deflating the tires at least 50%. Just don't spin the tires in the sand!

Since 2009, the Tacoma (and before on other models) has had traction control. This is a limited slip system called 'TRAC' and there are choices with or without engine output regulation (TRAC ON/ TRAC OFF). Off road, the TRAC OFF mode is a stronger limited slip. In H4, it is the standard mode to the 2011 model Tacomas, and 2012+ requires a quick push of the VSC button.

TRAC (or TRAC OFF) works all 4 tires in 4WD HIGH.

The Off Road TRD Tacoma has A-TRAC in 4WD LOW. The best way to describe A-TRAC is to call it front and rear 'automatic lockers', as it is a higher level of limited slip than TRAC/TRAC OFF. A-TRAC actually matches tire rotation across the axle rather than simply slowing a spinning tire.

The non-Off Road Tacomas who want some degree of traction control in low range can do a mod, called the 4 LO TRAC MOD (or Yellow Wire Mod). This will trick the Tacoma into thinking it is in H4 while you are really in L4 (low range). That gives you TRAC (TRAC OFF) limited slip in low range. It is a big advantage over the normally open differentials for the non-Off Road TRDs.

If you have A-TRAC, just push the A-TRAC button the first time you go into L4... and leave it that way.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 06:49 AM

What kind of mechanism is used to vary the slip from side to side? Variable limited slip?
I understand the wheel sensors can compare the rotation of side to side, but what is done with the info? (Historically this was done with the brakes - not the diff).
Most of us are familiar with lockers which allow easy or full throttle use of both tires/axle at once. And many of us thought that method was the ultimate traction device. We commonly use those select-able lockers in front and rear.

The video sure places the stuck truck in a favorable place - meaning its pretty easy to get unstuck when you drive down hill. Gravity is a big deal. Flat is much more difficult and most of the time low air pressure is the only solution regardless of how many tires have power.
=========

As DK stated:

Nothing beats deflating the tires at least 50%. Just don't spin the tires in the sand!

Since 2009, the Tacoma (and before on other models) has had traction control. This is a limited slip system called 'TRAC' and there are choices with or without engine output regulation (TRAC ON/ TRAC OFF). Off road, the TRAC OFF mode is a stronger limited slip. In H4, it is the standard mode to the 2011 model Tacomas, and 2012+ requires a quick push of the VSC button.

TRAC (or TRAC OFF) works all 4 tires in 4WD HIGH.

The Off Road TRD Tacoma has A-TRAC in 4WD LOW. The best way to describe A-TRAC is to call it front and rear 'automatic lockers', as it is a higher level of limited slip than TRAC/TRAC OFF. A-TRAC actually matches tire rotation across the axle rather than simply slowing a spinning tire.

The non-Off Road Tacomas who want some degree of traction control in low range can do a mod, called the 4 LO TRAC MOD (or Yellow Wire Mod). This will trick the Tacoma into thinking it is in H4 while you are really in L4 (low range). That gives you TRAC (TRAC OFF) limited slip in low range. It is a big advantage over the normally open differentials for the non-Off Road TRDs.

If you have A-TRAC, just push the A-TRAC button the first time you go into L4... and leave it that way.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 07:42 AM

There is a difference between lockers and A-TRAC and the Tacoma (Off Road 4WD) since 2009 has both systems (locker on the rear differential only).

Lockers spin the tires equally and is brute force gun-ho power.
A-TRAC prevents spinning and thus favors the tires with traction to move you. A-TRAC is thus slower and will take a few more seconds to climb or get through a problem.

In the end, both systems will get the truck through. The advantage of A-TRAC is that the differentials remain open, so steering is not difficult. This is key on tight trails where the guys with lockers (specially front lockers) need to keep turning them off and back on in order to steer through tight turns. The A-TRAC is on standby until there is tire spin, then it works, automatically.

I do not know the CRAWL system fully, so I can't say what is different about it, other than selecting various terrain conditions with it, so it reacts differently with each.

In sand, when my truck was new, I tested the A-TRAC for getting unstuck... out by Bahia Santa Maria, I drove onto the beach by the bay with tires at 32 psi, in H4 (with 'TRAC' Traction Control) and was amazed that I didn't need to deflate as before without TRAC. To see if it was just odd conditions on the sand and not the new limited slip system, I disabled TRAC (VSC OFF MODE) in H4 and promptly got stuck in the sand!

Now, I then switched to L4 with A-TRAC on (tires still at 32 psi) and the truck slowly creeped out of the stuck (like the video of Crawl showed)... I then went back to H4 with TRAC and continued to drive about! Photos in my Jan. 2010 trip report to Rob & Connie's place.

The truck did not have a heavy load and on the next trip onto Shell Island, heavily loaded, I did need to deflate as the truck was digging in too much, even with A-TRAC. 15 psi made driving easy in H4 on Shell Island's bottomless sand/shell mix beach.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 01:14 PM

Paul it uses the brakes to reduce the spin on the wheel without traction. Also note the Tacoma rear electric locker is only locked in 4L but as David said above there is a method of wiring it for 4H. If locked in 4H A-TRAC may be non-op.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Paul it uses the brakes to reduce the spin on the wheel without traction. Also note the Tacoma rear electric locker is only locked in 4L but as David said above there is a method of wiring it for 4H. If locked in 4H A-TRAC may be non-op.

Both A-TRAC and the rear locker work just in L4. However, as Tom said, there is a Locker Anytime Mod possible on the Tacoma 4X4. The discovery I made is that A-TRAC (which is on all 4 tires) is superior to the rear locker for traction.

The traction control can be fooled to work in L4 for the non-Off Road Tacomas who don't have anything in L4, that was the mod I was mentioning earlier. Only the 4X4 Off Road TRD Tacoma has A-TRAC and a locker.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 02:40 PM

Do you know if the modification will work on my FJ Cruiser, David?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 05:00 PM

I believe they are identical. I read Tacoma World forums for all this information besides what I have personally experienced. I am sure there are some good FJ Cruiser forums. Several Nomad are also on Tacoma World TMW and I both have the same handles over there.

sandpoint
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 09:23 AM

I believe they are identical. I read Tacoma World forums for all this information besides what I have personally experienced. I am sure there are some good FJ Cruiser forums. Several Nomad are also on Tacoma World TMW and I both have the same handles over there.

I know it works on 1st Gen Tacomas. Here's a Tacomaworld thread:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/grey-wire-mod.4405/
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 09:38 AM

First Gen Tacomas are those made before the 2005 model year (when they all got bigger).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.