Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Looking to get a new/used SUV
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 12:24 PM
Looking to get a new/used SUV

I'm looking at the Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota Four Runner. Hey...I'm a fat guy and I need a big car!
Will be launching a small boat from the beach.
Mostly I'll be on the highway with some backroads, nothing too crazy.
I'll need some decent clearance-how would I go about getting an extra couple inches?
I almost lost my 2 wheel drive vehicle to the Sea of Cortez while retrieving my boat on my last trip. Not going down again without four wheel drive. Will all-wheel drive be enough?

Thanks from a non-gearhead.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 12:53 PM

I don't keep up with all the new vehicles, too many I think. That said. It is my understanding that an AWD does not have a low range. I do know the new Nissan Pathfinder is not a body on a frame like a truck and therefore not a good off road vehicle. But since you say you only go off road a little probably not a problem. I don't know nothing about the Honda Pilot. The 4Runner is a great vehicle but pricey.

As a big guy needing a big car look at the full size SUVs like a Tahoe or the GMC version or Toyota's Seq. Not sure what FORD or Dodge offer.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 01:05 PM

4 X 4 Suburban 2500 w/8.1 liter engine. That will haul your fatness anywhere you like. That's what hauling my fat arse around these days.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
4 X 4 Suburban 2500 w/8.1 liter engine. That will haul your fatness anywhere you like. That's what hauling my fat arse around these days.

I'm fat but not fat enough to get a suburban!
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  

I'm fat but not fat enough to get a suburban!

Are you going to be at Bahia around the beginning of October? You can test drive mine. I have a half ton GMC pickup with a short bed and the Suburban is surprisingly smaller and has a shorter wheel base. But lot's of room to pack your stuff.

[Edited on 9-4-2015 by Bob53]

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 01:36 PM

Why would you not opt for a four-door, 4WD truck? It does everything that those SUVs do, and you still get an open bed for stuff. If you want to lock that stuff in back up, then get a shell. More versatile.

Most SUVs of that size are on the same chassis as their trucks of the same size.

I would rather have 4wd than AWD. Usually AWD has no low range.

How about an old beater Toyota from the 80s that you can leave down there? Something that it doesnt matter if the rear wheels take some salt water occasionally.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 05:08 PM

Get in and test drive the various models... that should refine your field a lot!

A 4Runner with 4WD and TRD Off Road Package with a rear locker/A-TRAC/ Terrain Select/ Crawl Control, etc. Would be sweet and solid... but not cheap!

My 4 Door Tacoma is very comfortable on and off road, and you have room for 4 big adults or 5 regular size (lol)! Then you still have a bed in back for your gear. The rear seats fold down flat giving you lots of indoor dust free cargo area, too. The A-TRAC or Locker adds security over regular 4WD so getting stuck/ needed a second vehicle along is really unheard of. Those features stop the spinning of the tires and balances the power to the tires that still have traction and can move you. No more one tire in back and one in front spinning with A-TRAC!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 05:56 PM

Shop around. There are a lot of makes that will not get you stuck (not just the hype of one make). Be aware when looking at Toyotas...their rear springs are failing (as reported in another thread on this forum). 4x4s are going to cost you more money...even older ones if they are in good shape.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 06:06 PM

Give the American models some consideration. None were in your list. You might find better value. Buy American, all else being equal.

Disclosure, I'm a Ford guy.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 10:22 PM

Since reliability is my priority, get into consumer reports on all vehicles reliable. There's a vast quantity of places in Baja you don't want to break down at, as well as a competent mechanic unavailable for many miles. Consider Toyota first. Wonderful, spacious and affordable : Toyota T 100 xtra cab 4x4 . (I wish I had one) Lightweight ,full size and good fuel economy (18mpg from a 3.4l) SUV choice would be a 4 runner. My Baja buddy of 34 years' runner has 400k on it and ran/performed flawlessly on last February's 7 Sisters run. Course, his maintenance had been right on the $ as well since he bought it new in 88. Mt worst nightmare ? It was a 94 4x4 Ranger.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 12:21 AM

Toyota T100? They still make those?

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 08:54 AM

Chuckie, Toyota started the T's in 93 and morphed them into the Tundra in 99 , same basic truck but with a v8 and optional 3.4L 6 cyl for a couple of yrs, just v8's after 2001. (I think). I mentioned the T since Martyman stated used as well as new, and that he described himself as a plus size. One blog site has several people that dubbed T's as the million mile truck.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 09:24 AM

Thanks, I didn't realize that..One of the neighbors has a T100 (so labeled) that at this point in its life can best be described as "an old farm truck"...But it is still chugging......;)

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 09:52 AM

Yeah,chuckie...1999 was a long time ago, but it seems like last month as I settle into my 60's. My 1994 2wd T100 only has 140k on it and it would surely be my "last truck" if I wasn't jonesing for a 4x.(may pick DK's brain for Tacoma info). My DD is a CR V that won't really cut it in Baja areas I like to go.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 09:55 AM

For my Baja amigos, the 4WD Off Road TRD Tacoma is what to get.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 10:15 AM

That new Honda Pilot shore is purdy. Looking like one of them high-end Lexus SUV/crossover vehicles.

You might also consider a beater American truck with a locker in the back, with or w/o 4wd. Leave it at BOLA. Get some wide meats on the back and front and drop the tires real low for launching. Go by an independent tire dealer and ask him to watch for a Jeep guy trading in his worn out tires in the widest your rims will accommodate. Something at least 10 inches wide like LT265 to 305 x 70r sizing in 16 inch, so you dont have to buy 17 or 18 inch rims. Maybe 15s will work if the truck comes with 15s but that would be rare for an older truck. If you leave it down there, you wont need much tread for what you are doing.

It's amazing what deflated tires can do, even with only 2wd. But a beater truck in 4wd isnt going to be much more expensive than an equivalent 2wd truck. So, go 4wd if you can.

One other great thing about an American full-sized type truck is that you can probably find an aftermarket hitch for the FRONT of the truck. It's very nice to be able to back a boat in with the engine weight over a set of drive wheels. A 4wd truck would do this. This assumes that there is no danger of waves getting high up on the engine, of course. I assume you do have a fairly long hitch extension.

I still carry two, four-foot sections of 2x8 lumber with me on my travels. If I'm stuck, I dig out enough to put these in front of the rear tires for some traction. Just getting going for that four feet of distance, and then punching it, is usually enough to get me out. I do this even with a huge Lance on the back of the F350. A piece of expanded metal might work better but I've never seen a gauge strong enough to resist getting badly misshapened. Then, storing it for travel would become a problem. I keep my wood sections in a front Hitch Haul carrier on my front hitch.

I absolutely LOVE front hitches for so many reason, especially with the Lance on the back. You also have an easy attachment point for pulling or being pulled out of a stuck situation.

And, finally, sometimes vehicles get stuck at the waterline because of rolling resistance from the trailer tires. This can happen if sand surrounds the trailer tires and sucks them in place. Then, the tow vehicle suddenly needs more umph to get the trailer and boat going and the drive tires dig in and get stuck. See if you can make sure the underwater zone where your trailer tires sit, while attaching it to the trailer, is rock that prevents the trailer from sinking down into sand. If need be, get the Gecko crowd together and place some big heavy rocks out there that hopefully wont move much when waves come through.

Come to think of it; is there any chance that the Gecko crowd would consider pooling their resources to buy a beater that everyone can use (and everyone can pay to maintain) down there? You could probably get something if four people put in 500.00-1k each, as a start.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Chuckie, Toyota started the T's in 93 and morphed them into the Tundra in 99 , same basic truck but with a v8 and optional 3.4L 6 cyl for a couple of yrs, just v8's after 2001. (I think). I mentioned the T since Martyman stated used as well as new, and that he described himself as a plus size. One blog site has several people that dubbed T's as the million mile truck.

the 4.7liter engine is by far, the best engine Toyota ever produced!

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  

the 4.7liter engine is by far, the best engine Toyota ever produced!

2X...

They use that motor in the Sequoia as well if you don't want a PU truck.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 01:23 PM

Taco is good for off roading and fun. It's a mid-size truck and meant for light duty.

F-150 is full size and, in my opinion, more comfortable (softer ride).

Both can be fixed in Baja (for example, there's a Toyota dealership in La Paz); Fords are common.

I like Toyota -- had a 1980 SR5, and currently a '02 Highlander. As a make/model, for a functional pickup, Ford is it. But might buy Chevy next time.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 03:02 PM

no one has asked what size boat or how much stuff the OP has...but there are sure a lot of recommendations.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.