Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East Cape - Recipe for a good trip
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 07:38 PM
East Cape - Recipe for a good trip

East Cape - Recipe for a good trip
Another week of great weather. We have gotten a lot of rain but little wind. Anglers are getting a little wet but the fish we have been targeting haven't seemed to mind and have been cooperating.

All of our normal suspects, marlin, tuna, dorado, wahoo and roosterfish are here but just haven't been in the mood. It is an unlikely story for September but drifting for bottom fish has been most productive. Amberjack, yellowtail, snapper and white bonita have been bending rods. Most of the action has been in 400 feet of water and good bait has been key.

A few of the bottom fish have been taken on the iron or live caballitos but greenback mackerel and sardineta have been the candy bait. We have been using sabikis to make the bait while fishing. It has been an interesting proposition as the gamefish have been destroying the sibikis attacking the macks while we retrieve them from the bottom.

Anglers arriving with a preconceived notion that they need to catch tuna, wahoo or dorado are mostly being disappointed. The old saying goes "when you have lemons make lemonade". Most visitors want to meet where the locals meet, eat where the locals eat. It has been difficult when we can't get them to listen to local knowledge and fish where the locals fish. It is hard for me to drive over fish where anglers could have a good day to go on a wild goose chase.

My recipe for a good fishing trip is to not arrive with that preconceived notion and demand to go back to the location you got them in the past. Don't listen to the guy in the bar who has had a couple. If you can't trust your crew and their local knowledge of where the action is you could be on the wrong boat.

Check out the East Cape weather in real time on our 2 live webcams:
http://teamjenwren.com/our-webcams.html

Buddies having fun

Team Accurate David Nilsen with 8 year old Clayton

Fathers and sons, check out those smiles

The rain has brought some magnificent sights.

Another nice amberjack ready to hit the deck

Polo on the wire.

Still a few sails around

Vaquera, Gringo's "Fish killer of the week"

Jen Wren III ready to rock and roll.

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 08:15 PM

Great pictures Mark, thanks for sharing.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 08:51 PM

It is a wonderful thing to know what you want, and go get it! Unfortunately, fish don't work by appointment. It is not a good idea to ignore the advice of your guide if the bite isn't what you expected it to be.

My wife (back when I had one) and I met a guide who was also a friend, on the Kenai River to catch a King salmon or two. The run had not been great, so I asked where we would do best, up river, or down by the tide zone.

We spent the day on his couch watching Pulp Fiction. We drank a few beers, saved a lot of cash, did not waste his time or any gasoline, and caught as many fish as 95% of the boats on the river that day.

You gotta love an honest guide!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2015 at 04:46 PM

Great pics. as usual, night shot is great.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.