BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rookie question RE: oars on boat
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:01 AM
Rookie question RE: oars on boat

I bought a 21 foot Triumph fishing boat and it does not have and oars to be used in case of ....

What length would I need, 8 feet, 9 feet or? Do they make them that break down in 2 for storage purposes?

Do you other owners have oars on your boat in case of engine failure or am I being a little over paranoid?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:09 AM

You likely mean "paddle" since there are no oar holders on this boat. I carried a 6 footer for a while, but it was always in the way. A long pole, to keep you off the rocks, will help.
Happy boating and bring your wallet. :biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:12 AM

your radio takes the place of oars!

[Edited on 10-8-2015 by woody with a view]

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:20 AM

21' is an awful lot of boat to try to row, even if it did have oarlocks. You do want to carry a paddle or long stout pole for rocks or low tide/shallows... invent a handy storage method along one of the inner sides, or somewhere out of your way but quick to get to. If you do end up with motor trouble close to shore it could save you from rock-bouncing.... shallow bays and inlets make for mud-stuck. Good to have as a 'ray-stick' for wading in same. Also, pesky seals that want a piece of your fish get the picture with a head-tap or two. A 6' paddle sounds about right.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:32 AM

A cheap telescoping stand up paddle board paddle works really well.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:38 AM

Being able to set an anchor quickly (inside) and having a drogue (outside) is better than trying to row that boat. As stated above a good radio is the most important safety item.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 07:44 AM

I guess I did mean paddle, not oars. You make sense, maybe just a long stick of sorts to keep her off the rocks.

Anyone ever seen a telescoping pole?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 06:42 AM

No, get a strong, single piece paddle. One long enough to use over the side when you are standing in the boat. I use mine all the time when mooring the boat and beaching/launching the boat.

Mine has a tee handle at the end which can be used as a boat hook. Plus they come in handy when coming aside another boat to fend off or allow the other party to grab. All sorts of uses.

[Edited on 10-9-2015 by SFandH]
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 07:28 AM

If you get stranded out there on the water, Howard, get ahold of me on the radio, so I can give you further directions..
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 08:18 AM
Boat Saying

"dosnt a one leg dick swim in circles"
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
"dosnt a one leg dick swim in circles"

Have been boating for a long time and never heard that one.
But you do run/swim in different circles. :biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 09:34 AM

Howard, Bring her over to BA in December and we can buddy boat out to the fishing grounds.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 06:27 AM

Telescoping or break-down paddles and oars are weaker generally, and if you find yourself in an "OH - SH!T" situation you'll want a sturdy one. Fer instance: A conked out motor close to shore in a wind, you don't want to slam hard to shore..... call someone with a radio? Watch your pusti stick break on the first try? Get a good paddle, figure out how to effectively ship it on your craft AND get to it when needed. All doadble.
Don't be up the creek without one. ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 09:06 AM
Real life

Of the many things I share/teach with other boaters, the three off the top of my head is put on your pfd and see that it works on you.. try going against the wind with that kicker.. try and move that boat with a oar..Good ground tackle is a much,much better thinking!! unless your on a kayak..
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Telescoping or break-down paddles and oars are weaker generally, and if you find yourself in an "OH - SH!T" situation you'll want a sturdy one. Fer instance: A conked out motor close to shore in a wind, you don't want to slam hard to shore..... call someone with a radio? Watch your pusti stick break on the first try? Get a good paddle, figure out how to effectively ship it on your craft AND get to it when needed. All doadble.
Don't be up the creek without one. ;)
Just happened to be in a situation a couple of weeks ago where we almost ended up on the S. Oceanside jetty when my friend's motor failed, the only thing that saved us was borrowing the paddle of a stand up paddle boarder who happened to be there. I couldn't believe how well that paddle worked. I'm definitely getting one for my boat. By the way, he has an Evinrude E-Tec with less than 100 hours and it's the second time that the ECM has failed and left him stranded. Couldn't give me one of those things.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 09:20 AM
ECM'S

If more than one failed, there is another issue !! more likely a lousy tech that installed it.. there is "tricks" to install the right way..such as spraying "Deoxit" on the connectors before You push them in,,,And no, Its not in the service manual...what size of boat did you paddle against wind,current ??
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
If more than one failed, there is another issue !! more likely a lousy tech that installed it.. there is "tricks" to install the right way..such as spraying "Deoxit" on the connectors before You push them in,,,And no, Its not in the service manual...what size of boat did you paddle against wind,current ??
The ECM was installed by the Evinrude dealer in Oceanside. This was an 18' boat, there was little wind, but the ocean swell was pushing us onto the jetty. When we borrowed the paddle, we were only about 20' from the rocks with a set coming in, and we were able to easily paddle the boat back into the channel and flag down a boat for a tow.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 12:36 PM

I have the same boat, and you want to avoid the telescope boat poles. They do not take well to the salt and are gummed up when you need them. Because you have the rod holders on the side, you can put a decent boat pole in one and it works for almost everything I have ever needed to do. As long as you have a Yamaha engine you do not need to worry about it giving out. One piece of advice that all of us use in our area, put a 2 micron Racor filter in line for fuel. The fuel here is very dirty and a 10 micron will allow things to get through your line that can plug the very fine holes on the injectors. A 2 micron will stop all of that and in 2,000 hrs or more I have stopped all injector problems. They make a new plastic Racor that installs very easily.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 02:37 PM

Get a scull.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 03:08 PM
Outboards

Quote " As long as you have a Yamaha engine you do not need to worry about it giving out." NOW, I have heard it all...LOL..btw I work on Yammys and they break,stop,run like chit...any & all outboards can have issue's...If U would like to learn more about them.. I invite you to check out "Yamaha outboard forum" and u will see that many,many folks have problems with them and parts cost three arms and four legs...

[Edited on 10-10-2015 by captkw]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.