Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Lucas Cove Fishing & Lodging
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 06:29 PM
San Lucas Cove Fishing & Lodging

Back in the 80s and later I fished San Lucas Cove on multiple occasions with friends. Always camping by waters edge and fishing with an 18' aluminum boat. I went down in 2004 or 5 after a layoff. To my surprise the outer sandbar was gone and San Lucas Cove was open to the SOC. So we went further south into BOC and camped at Ecomundo instead. Remember Rose & Roy? I can still hear the tap-tap-tap of her basketball at 1st light before the heat. It was a great camping spot. Fish were small but provided a dinners meal each night.

A few days ago I was surfing Google Maps and noticed that San Lucas Cove is now closed again and visually looks to me a lot like my past memories of its topography. My Baja bunch was as excited about it as me. Therefore, instead of LA Bay this May we plan on going to SLC. I have a few questions on SLC I hope you can answer.

1. Is there hotel lodging or rentals (1-2 weeks) close by? If not how is the camping?

2. Can you still launch inside and then past thru the boca to the outside in a small boat? San Marcos Island is in the plans like before.

3. Can live bait still be made in the early morning in front of the boca?

Thanks,
Dennis
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 11:01 AM

While searching around for lodging at SLC I came across this place for rent on the water. https://www.vrbo.com/508635#

Anyone have any info or reviews of this place?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 11:05 AM

$50/nt looks like a vacation in the making!

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 11:16 AM

Yep a couple of aluminum boats in the back yard would look fantastic. The owner has written back, so now trying to set each of our schedules for a stay in April or May.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 11:17 AM

I have seen that place on VRBO too. I like it. It looks pretty rustic, but you cannot argue with the view and proximity to the Sea.
Cancamo
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 12-20-2015 at 12:17 PM

#1. Yes, campsites have hose bibs, community outhouse, payable daily, weekly, and monthly. Restaurant open on the weekends.
#2. Yes, same as before, anchor in front, careful the tide doesn't leave you high and dry.
#3. Yes, mackerel outside, look for the pangas or use a fish finder. Good fishing at times at the usual spots, although a bit slow in fall this year. May could be decent to good yellowtail fishing.

Que les vayan bien!

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 02:19 PM

Thanks Camcamo for the reply.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:18 AM

that looks so nice! I think we might check it out one day too. Thanks for posting!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 11:05 AM

Baja Blanca,

Your place is on my short list of places to fish in baja where I have not fished before. With my wife retiring in January I looking for places to hang out when she is on a "honey-dew" kick. This place looks like the ticket.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 07:16 PM

That is the place owned by Traci and her Husband in San Lucas Cove. I had the place next door and my friend Deep Dave and Martha Hughes own the place immediately to the south. Traci's dad built the place and then he sadly passed away. They have done a lot of work on everything and it could be a good choice. We play music at the restaurant, which is called Bahia Restaurant Bar on Sundays and Jannine Miranda makes the best sea food dishes in all of baja.
Actually, the cove was blown out by dynamite in the 80's to open up breathing but it closed back in immediately. It is a good exposure to the area and has some of the best fishing from Loreto to Santa Rosalia.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 07:24 PM

lobsterman - come on over!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 06:29 AM

Thanks Pescadore for the info on this place.

I'll make it a point to come to the Bahia Restaurant on Sundays to listen to your music and sample the seafood wares. And hopefully to pick up a few fishing tips from the master. I'll be bringing along my transportable 10" GPS/FF (old eyes) with me to place on one of my fishing buddies aluminum boats in order to document SLC's channels to the outside. In the future the plan is to bring down my 22' Cabo (300 mile range) at a later date.

[Edited on 12-22-2015 by Lobsterman]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 10:08 AM

Yeah, your Cabo will be perfect. I have a 21.5 Triumph and it slides in and out of there easily. The nice thing about the Cove is that you can anchor in front of your place and be ready to go in the mornings. Would be happy to share some GPS points to get you onto the fish. We are now playing twice a month at Bahia and the other two Sundays at Santispac beach at Armando's Restaurant, and I thought I was retired.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.