Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Crossing NOB with fish
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 02:06 PM
Crossing NOB with fish

Reading the current posts by Lengua, and Osprey brought a question to my mind. Rather than hijack one of those threads, I will ask it here.

Is bringing fresh fish into the US, on ice but not processed, legal? Are some species acceptable, but others not?

Edit; By not processed, I meant cut and wrapped, not necessarily whole or headed and gutted!

[Edited on 1-22-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 02:47 PM

almost nothing is illegal, except endangered species or mammal bones. they let you ring as much as you want until they determine it is for commercial purposes. you don't want that!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 04:32 PM

There have been SOME cases where the US Border agents have asked to show a valid Mexican sportfishing license. It is rare.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 11:15 AM

I've always declared the fish, and have never had an issue. No totoaba...
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 12:09 PM

Have always declared fish, have never been asked for fishing license and had guard look in freezer once in secondary.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 01:37 PM

The one that drives them crazy is when they find a couple of cases of canned yellowtail or wahoo.. They are not sure what is in those mason jars, but have never had to open/ forfeit any of my goods...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 03:38 PM

I have brought mucho fish back north through tecate and some through tj and never had a problem. most times, the agent didn't even crack the lids on my ice chests and take a look at what i had.

several times, i have also brought north dozens of oysters from the oyster farm in san quintin without a problem or question.

i have never been asked for a fishing license, which i always had as i buy it by the year. i don't understand why an american border agent would ask for a mexican fishing license anyway. that doesn't seem to be within their jurisdiction ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 06:03 PM

Every month thousands of "sport" fisherpeople bring tons of fresh ocean protein back from Baja California in coolers or wrapped in old tee-shirts. It is then transferred to freezers where, two years later, it is served up to the importers pet/pets. The pets are not interested in eating fetid flesh so the, now putrid, once precious, life is buried as fertilizer. This is why there are so many lovely trees in California. Saludos

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Every month thousands of "sport" fisherpeople bring tons of fresh ocean protein back from Baja California in coolers or wrapped in old tee-shirts. It is then transferred to freezers where, two years later, it is served up to the importers pet/pets. The pets are not interested in eating fetid flesh so the, now putrid, once precious, life is buried as fertilizer. This is why there are so many lovely trees in California. Saludos

Weebray, He's not asking about your personal past practices.

I encourage any fisherman to only bring back what they will consume in 2-3 months (if vacuum packed properly). If you run out of fish, it means it's time for another Baja trip! :light:

BigBearRider is correct...No Totoaba. It is one of the main fish types the Border Patrol is looking for.

Good luck!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2016 at 11:27 PM

Hola,

also, if you can't eat in within three months, learn how to can it. i have canned fish after 6 months that were a bit strong and after canning it, you can't tell the difference.

just a thought.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 07:54 AM

a vacuum sealer is your friend.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 08:35 AM

not only can you cross the border here with your fish, Les's brother from Poland took it in coolers back to Poland! It was deep deep frozen and in 5 day coolers......

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

BigBearRider is correct...No Totoaba. It is one of the main fish types the Border Patrol is looking for.

Good luck!
...or lobster

Bob Durrell
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 12:19 PM

they don't care about lobster, either. at least not during my research!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
not only can you cross the border here with your fish, Les's brother from Poland took it in coolers back to Poland! It was deep deep frozen and in 5 day coolers......

did he take home any smoked yellowtail from your cannery? I swear i could live on that stuff!:yes:
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2016 at 12:52 PM

No gulf grouper , it is illegal to posess in California . don't know about crossing at Arizona

[Edited on 1-24-2016 by freediverbrian]
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
a vacuum sealer is your friend.

Excuse me, I meant "vacuum sealed" fetid flesh. All you "sports" fisher people out there - go to your freezer - look in the bottom. That yellow, semi translucent, vacuum sealed protein is what I'm talking about.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 09:41 AM

Nomads, Thanks for the replies, I think I got what I need, so let's talk about freezing! Through the 80s, we were a family of six that loved to hunt and fish, so we did a LOT of freezing and canning!

Vacuum packing is great, but unless you have a commercial grade freezer that stays below zero, the flavor and texture of the product will degrade. Particularly in fish with a high fat content (like salmon) I agree with others who say that six months is about the limit.

I made a point of using one freezer for storage only, and did all my freezing in another one. Adding unfrozen fish to the storage freezer will raise the temperature of the frozen fish high enough for spoilage to occur, even if it still feels solid.

If I had a lot of fish, I would move the kitchen freezer contents to the storage freezer, and use it like a blast freezer with lots of air flow around the packages. It is better to keep the unfrozen packages on ice until one batch is frozen, and do multiple batches, rather than overload the freezer.

I can a lot of salmon, but I have never tried canning old freezer stock before. It makes more sense than cooking for Fido, or tossing it! Canning with metal containers and a can sealer produces the best product, and is better for storage and handling, but glass is easier for most people.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
There have been SOME cases where the US Border agents have asked to show a valid Mexican sportfishing license. It is rare.

"caught it off the beach"

No license necessary right?
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-25-2016 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
No gulf grouper , it is illegal to posess in California . don't know about crossing at Arizona

[Edited on 1-24-2016 by freediverbrian]

Same with Broomtail grouper(habitat PAC side only... I think?). Illegal to possess in CA..

Black Sea Bass illegal to take in CA, legal to possess in CA..

Both filets look very similar :)

TT
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.