BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are major gasoline outages a thing of the past?
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 07:14 PM
Are major gasoline outages a thing of the past?

When is the last time there was a major gasoline outage in Baja? I spent three days in Guerrero Negro (along with hundreds of other travelers) sometime in the mid 90`s when a big El Norte stopped the tankers from getting into La Paz. No gas anywhere from Jesus Villa Maria to La Paz. Since then the number of stations has increased dramatically and I am getting more complacent. Are there better supply routes, more storage? Have there been big outages recently?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 07:19 PM

well, Pacifico (the person) just came north thru BdeLA the other day and both stations were reported empty for 3 days, at least. fuel was had at the H1 junction.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
When is the last time there was a major gasoline outage in Baja? I spent three days in Guerrero Negro (along with hundreds of other travelers) sometime in the mid 90`s when a big El Norte stopped the tankers from getting into La Paz. No gas anywhere from Jesus Villa Maria to La Paz. Since then the number of stations has increased dramatically and I am getting more complacent. Are there better supply routes, more storage? Have there been big outages recently?

Recent causes of fuel shortage: strikes, protests, weather, poor planning, contract disputes,...
It's happened before, can happen again.
I usually fill up when I can, because you never know what tomorrow brings.

[Edited on 2-18-2016 by mtgoat666]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 08:32 PM

The downtown Mulege station has been out for a day or two at a time this winter but I'm pretty sure that was just fecklessness on the part of the owner in not ordering until she ran out.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 09:04 PM

I was guiding a group of German "adventurers" through Baja at exactly the same time. Stuck for 3 days in Vizcaino.

The adventurers sued me.

As outfitter I have to ensure steady fuel supply and if necessary have to have fuel depots in major places - they argued.

They won. Got their money back.

I quit nursing babies through Baja.

Adventure my ass.

Harald Pietschmann
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 10:16 PM

Never say never.

It only takes one international incident to change everything, fast

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
cioppa

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 10:19 PM

Like Woody said, LA Bay is hit or miss. In my past several trips there over the last couple of years the stations have been out of gas and/or diesel.

Your choices are to wait until the truck comes (which is never when they say it will be) or drive out to find someone with a can on Mex 1. In the case of diesel, you have two options if you can't wait it out: Jesus Maria to the South or El Rosario to the North.

Bottom line, don't get below 1/2 tank is a good rule of thumb for all of Baja, but LA Bay will catch you off guard almost every time.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2016 at 11:24 PM

no matter where you go in Baja - there is always someone with some gas behind the house. Even diesel. Just ask around.
Or do you think the Mexicans don't drive when there is no gas at the station?

Harald Pietschmann
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
well, Pacifico (the person) just came north thru BdeLA the other day and both stations were reported empty for 3 days, at least. fuel was had at the H1 junction.

And the day after one station got filled the power went out for 12 hours and they couldn't pump it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I was guiding a group of German "adventurers" through Baja at exactly the same time. Stuck for 3 days in Vizcaino.

The adventurers sued me....

I quit nursing babies through Baja.

Adventure my ass.

Harald,
I had a summer project for three summers 15 years ago in BC leading BMW riders on a five-day backroad/offroad....hauled their stuff, fed them 3 meals a day, arranged campsites w/ amenities, etc.

The prep time, low rate for tour, etc was not acknowledged with very many thank-you's....I gave it up as it was a great concept not worth the undertaking....aside from making a few life-long friends...

Now I do it for my own pleasure....and may from time-to-time through out a suggestion for a trip....and expect everyone to be self-reliant....

It's kinda like herding cats.

[Edited on 2-18-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 04:53 PM

It is actually sort of amusing how many Pemex stations there are today along Highway one, as compared to the old days. The proliferation of stations is more about the ability to earn money inside, and not outside by the pumps. So many so-called convenience stores that rely on your purchasing candy, hot dogs, beer, and coke, Etc.

That said, unless and until the people at Pemex, and/or the Mexican government partner with the internationals, there will be a continued threat of Pemex stations without fuel.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 12:22 PM

Harald, Sorry to hear about your lame 'adventure' crew in Vizcaino. We weren`t about to wait in line for days at a gas station in downtown GN so we went camping down at the old pier for the first time. And it became a typical unexpected Baja adventure, meeting cool new people and discovering a beautiful new spot. Best to make lemonade out of those situations!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 05:04 PM

Harald, Sorry to hear about your lame 'adventure' crew in Vizcaino. We weren`t about to wait in line for days at a gas station in downtown GN so we went camping down at the old pier for the first time. And it became a typical unexpected Baja adventure, meeting cool new people and discovering a beautiful new spot. Best to make lemonade out of those situations!

:?::?::?::?::?:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 06:05 PM

we did the same thing - we camped a few miles away in the desert. No bad days in Baja!

Harald Pietschmann

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.