Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: First time to Baja
ssdaniels

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 07:50 PM
First time to Baja

Hello all!

My wife and I are planning our first Baja trip for this fall/winter. We will be heading down there between thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm looking for some advice on places to camp along the way. I've started an itinerary and am open to any suggestions. We will be traveling in a lifted Subaru Outback with a roof top tent, all terrain tires, on board air pump, and sand ladders. We are looking for some adventure but nothing too crazy because this is our first time and while capable we are a little limited with our vehicle.

Any suggestions on this itinerary would be greatly appreciated:
Day 1: Pete's Camp
Day 2: Rancho Grande
Day 3:Bahia de los Angeles with a stop at Coco's Corner. I was looking at Daggetts Camp.
Day 4: Playa San Rafael or Punta San Francisquito, or Rancho Piedra Blanca.
Day 5: San Ignacio. I was looking at Ignacio Springs B&B
Day 6: Explore San Ignacio
Day 7:Bahia Concepcion, I'm thinking we will start at Playa Santispac and check out a couple of other beaches until we find one that looks nice.
Day 8: Loreto. Im still looking for a camp spot or hotel around here. Im currently looking at La Damiana Inn.

Im still looking for good places south of Loreto. When we are in La Paz I was looking at Bahia Balandra or Tecolote. Any recommendations of one or two places between La Paz and Cabo San Lucas?

Thanks for any advice!

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by ssdaniels]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 07:52 PM

figure twice as many days for the trip as the numbers of your locations!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:12 PM

...San Nicholas,, between Bahia Conception and Loreto is a great place for wild camping on the waterfront....a quiet area with a few fisherfolk and a small community.

there might also be a campground in the settlement there, not sure about that.
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:21 PM

. . . Might I suggest that if you find "your piece of heaven" you might want to think about scratching some places off the list. . .Kinda like sipping a fine wine - not to be rushed. . .Punta Sanfrancisquito & Mulege are all ACES for me ( might call PSFO 1st to see what they offer in way of food, lodging & amenities. . .They are "VERY, VERY RUSTIC - but THE FINEST BEACH & SOLITUDE!!!!! ). . . Mulege offers sooo much in a small town ( La Hacienda Hotel is notable as is close to shopping, restaurants, internet, coffee, history, beach, etc. ) If You want a big friendly place I really enjoy La Paz ( Good SCUBA out of there if that is for you ). . . Have flown / driven into all several times. . .YMMV / FWIW. .
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:39 PM

That first week itinerary is good for a month travel.. Better slow down and smell the roses/cactus.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
ssdaniels

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:44 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. We are totally open to taking our time and spending more time in one place if we find a nice spot.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 09:01 PM

what tires do you have?
what tire pump do you have?

sell the sand ladders!

how much time for Baja?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 10:37 PM

Santispac is truck noise all night... Requeson or La Perla much less to no highway noise and you are close to Playa Buenaventura for cold beers and cheeseburgers in paradise. South of Loreto is Playa Ligui and further south, Agua Verde.
See my 2012 trip report link below for more ideas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 12:55 AM

Coco will tell you to have TWO spares for Baja...but space is often a problem. Sounds like you are ready to air down for the rocky roads but what does "on board" air pump mean? Hopefully a good one and not the cigarette lighter types.

I often say this but coyotes LOVE your water along isolated stretches of Baja beaches...and they WILL get it if you leave it out for them at night. Goes for food as well...even middle of the day if you leave your camp long enough (Crows can even make a mess of things!).

That said, I agree with the advice of fewer places and more time exploring them. Rancho Grande/Gonzaga is a very short drive from Pete's Camp and far far more fun and interesting...if you have the time, just head there...Papa Fernandez before Rancho Grande is a nice little spot and safe on their land...up and over the hill.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 02:17 AM

Welcome ... and your approach is correct, plenty of time to get things together to make your trip safe and enjoyable

Lots of folks here that have a vast amount of knowledge about Baja and many other things

And for sure take pictures and share them here ...

Its always nice to see folks out having a good time :):)

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by wessongroup]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 07:44 AM

you have planned a wonderful trip and between thanksgiving and xmas is quite a bit of time....

san Ignacio springs with terry and gary put on a fun thanksgiving feast BTW We scooted over there one year and the food was delicious. we met some really interesting folks and terry and gary are always a hoot.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ssdaniels

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 09:30 AM

our air pump is an ARB on board high performance compressor, as far as two spares go we do have (and know how to use) the ARB tire patch kit. Tires are BFG ATs

We are used to animals raiding camp at any possibility. we get out a lot here in the mountains of far North California.

I was looking at the Agua Verde but was wondering about the road in?

I see a lot you saying to spend a while at each place, we actually do really enjoy the driving and time on the road. As this will not be our last trip to baja I'm thinking we will get an idea of some of the areas on this trip, find the places we really like, then explore more on later trips.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 09:40 AM

Sounds like you are prepared. As a former Subaru 4WD owner, I would like to see photos of your rig! The Agua Verde road is partially paved and graded, 2WD ok in dry weather. The road south of L.A. Bay and into Las Animas will be a rougher route, but still not any challenge. You will do great.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ssdaniels

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 09:41 AM

another question I have is how much money would you all recommend we take with us for three weeks to a month? and are there reputable ATMs to withdraw from in the cities?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 11:00 AM

All the banks have ATMs. You will want pesos for gas and other purchases, easier to deal with that converting dollars. Get about $800 in pesos and keep a few dollars too. Stop at the ATMs as needed.

How much money you take depends on a number of things, since you will mostly camp you won't need as much. But if you buy stuff for friends and family you may need more.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ssdaniels  

I was looking at the Agua Verde but was wondering about the road in?

SS,
Two years ago the road looked like this (it was being improved....detour sections no longer applicable....)

Some Nomads gave the video a wink saying something about me needing editing software....:biggrin:

I say, "No"....have a beverage and sit for an hour and take a trip.... :saint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8KlzS2zWOw

P.S. How much $$$$ ??

Folks say that gas and booze are the expense items aside from lodging....I tend to budget $100-125 /day as a solo traveler using motels @ about $50/day average

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by motoged]

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 11:10 AM

Best first-time destinations:
San pedro martir
Catavina
LA bay
San ignacio
Sierra de san francisquito
Ensenada and La paz
One of the soc beaches bween mulege and la paz ( take yur pic)
ssdaniels

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 11:11 AM

David K I have enjoyed reading your trip report. A lot of really good info in there. I think we will check out Agua Verde. Here are some pics of our rig. Its a 1999 outback with 3" lift, BFG AT Tires, roof top tent (love that thing). These are from this past winters trip down the back roads of the California Coast. we went through the Lost Coast, and Big Sur trying to hit as many unpaved back roads as we could.

IMG_2559.JPG - 131kB IMG_2389.JPG - 94kB IMG_2386.JPG - 132kB
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 11:16 AM

have you attempted highway speeds with the tent up?.....seriously, badazz subaru!:yes:
ssdaniels

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 11:27 AM

I like the video Motoged. I actually found and watched that about a year ago when we first started thinking about a Baja trip. Ill have to play armchair tourist and watch it again. My wife and I both work for the forest service and I'm guessing we will find the roads down there are really no worse than the forest service roads we travel everyday up here in California.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.