Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SD to TJ Airport walking bridge questions
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 08:38 AM
SD to TJ Airport walking bridge questions

Has anybody walked across the bridge from SD to TJ airport?

I have flown out of TJ a bunch of times but not since the bridge has been open. Fill me in on your experience if you would.
Cost of parking on the SD side? options to park, other lots in area?
Cost to use bridge?

Anything else you have would be great, thanks
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 08:51 AM

Lots of info on Talk Baja - here is the most recent:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/125767459...

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 09:19 AM

It costs $12 to cross the bridge - you can get a ticket online or buy one on site when you get to the bridge.

www.crossborderxpress.com

There is another thread in which posters talk about the parking situation. You can do a search for it. Apparently, there is not a lot of paid parking space. When I crossed a few weeks ago, there were lots of cars parked on the street leading up to the bridge. Our visitors last December parked their car on the street and it was fine.

In general, it's easy. The bridge is fairly basic in that there is no moving walkway as in many US airports. You pull your own luggage and walk. I did not see any luggage carts or wheelchairs for people who need them. Perhaps those things will be available in the future?? who knows. or maybe they are available and I just didn't see them? In any case, it's a much shorter walk than crossing on foot at Otay and walking to where the taxis are.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:31 AM

Here is the other thread.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81685
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  
Lots of info on Talk Baja - here is the most recent:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/125767459...

I am constantly annoyed by folks who post links to a Facebook page which is not available to non-Facebook users. There are millions of folks that don't wish to be Mark Zuckerberg's sheep.

I actually met Ron of Talk Baja a couple of times, but after he shifted over to Facebook, I just can't join to be on his site.

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by Bajahowodd]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 06:26 AM

That looks like a pretty good hike, Google maps figures from San Diego to TJ Airport is about 25 miles...

I hear the whales song
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 06:36 AM

I have used the bridge a couple of times. The first time was northbound the day after it first opened. That time I had parked at Delta who drove me to the border on the southbound portion of the trip. When I returned I followed the signs in the airport for CBX (Cross Border Xpress). (Crossing was free for the first week). What a pleasant surprise to walk through the last door to see the CBP desks right in front of me! I walked outside and called Delta for a pickup and really threw them off. Apparently I was the first person they had ever picked up from there but they showed up in 10 min and I was on my way.

The second time my wife and I simply had our daughter drop us off at CBX because we will be down here for 6 wks. The southbound process is every bit as easy. I purchased our tickets for TIJ-LAP online through Volaris and our CBX tickets on the Volaris site. When you first walk in the Volaris counter was right there and we checked in and received our boarding passes and our CBX approval. Walked up to the CBX booth and received our CBX pass and entered the bridge. Once you get across the bridge the process is the same as always... a stop at INM for our visas then up to the Volaris counter to check our bags.

Listening to others experiences it appears the biggest issue seems to be parking. I understand parking at CBX is strictly a first come basis so no guarantees there. The next option I assume would be Delta but I have heard rumors that they now only have a limited number of spaces for private vehicles??? Maybe someone else has more info on that. This is simply what I have heard.

In Memory of E-57
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 06:39 AM

bajagrouper,

I would estimate the distance from the front door to CBX to the Volaris counter in the TIJ airport a little closer to 100 yds.

In Memory of E-57
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 08:25 AM

Thank you very much, sounds easy and will do it in the next couple weeks

Thanks
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 04:29 PM

Got an alert from Volaris regarding a 70% off today only notice (3/14/16)

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.