Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cabo trip part 2
Highwayman

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 03:25 PM
Cabo trip part 2

We enjoyed a week at Playa Grande and a week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Cabo has recovered quickly from Odile. It seems like the entire corridor from San Jose to Cabo will soon be filled in with hotels and resorts. Santa Maria Bay now has paved parking, permanent restrooms and a high end resort being built. Another resort going in at Chileno. Spring break was on. Lots of good food and drink: The Office, The Road House, Salvatores's, Hooliganz for St. Paddy's day, Misiones de Kino? - outstanding, Maria Coronas, Tequilas Sunrise and Shut up Franks in Todos Santos. It was always fun to tell some of the people we met that we drove down. Lots of interest and questions about the trip.

We were on the road at 0730 on Sunday March 20th, headed to Mulege. Not sure why but getting out of La Paz and back on Hwy 1 was a major pain. A lot more traffic on the road with locals going camping. All the beaches were full from south of Loreto to Mulege. Stopped at the Clam Shack just as you come out of the mountains and still south of Loreto. Beer was cold, food and service not so good. We checked in to the Casitas Hotel and relaxed in the courtyard before dinner. The grill was fired up and the steak was very good as were the Margaritas from the bar. I want to say the room was $29. Up early and out the door on Monday, headed for Jardines, San Quintin. An eventful day with two birds strikes. A pack of buzzards took to the air from a carcass feast as we approached. The fat one didn't get airborne quite quick enough and smacked the windshield as I was braking. An hour later a low flying roadrunner came across from my left, struck the windshield and was later found tangled in the roof rack. Enjoyed lunch at Mama's in El Rosario. She had recently passed away. A large black ribbon and bow were on the front door. Photos of her, along with articles detailing her life were on display as well. After gassing up it was a quick ride to Jardine's in San Quintin. First time staying here, excellent accommodations and beautifully kept grounds. The restraunt was closed, so we found Don Eddy's a short distance away....we would not have found these places had it not for all the postings I've read on these pages. Thanks.

Up early and on the road Tuesday morning headed for Tijuana. Took the toll road north from Ensenada, spectacular views of the coast and light traffic. Got a picture of the giant Jesus statue for my 85 yr old mom. Determined not to get lost in Tijuana we followed a CA plated Acura off the highway at the landmark Pemex station. All was good on the one way street to where you make a left turn onto another one way street. While stopped at the light about ten squeegee boys tried wash the car windows. One got the job done and he got a tip. The light turned green and I followed the Acura. I was immediately cut off by a tan S10 Chevy pickup. He turned hard left, cut directly in front of us and I narrowly avoided a crash. This was the second time on this trip that an event like this happened and I have to say it had to be an intentional. What better way to scam some cash out of a gringo headed for the border....and this truck has several left side dents. Anyway, proceeding up the one way street I failed to stay to the left and missed the approach to the border lanes. A couple of turns around the downtown we made it into the regular border approach lanes around 1100hrs. More squeegee boys, lots of vendors with everything you forgot to buy and wall to wall traffic that barely moves. It took about an hour and ten minutes to get to the CBP checkpoint. Just a couple of questions from the officer and we were on the 805 looking for an In n Out Burger joint. High winds on the grapevine out of LA, almost to the point it should have been closed to trucks and motor homes. Got home around 9. Looking forward to next year to do it again. Cheers.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 06:16 PM

Excellent adventure! Looking forward to your next one.

DMenscha

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 11:28 AM

The traffic was from Semana Santa. The Holy week. Every Mexican gets out of town.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 01:31 PM

Thanks for the report! It sounds like Cabo is getting busier every year.

I was sitting next to a sun-burnt fisherman from San Diego a few years back, and he asked what it was like to drive all the way down there. His eyes got big when I told him that it was 40 below driving through the Yukon territory, but a nice drive by the time we got through B.C,!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 03:53 PM

Here is his Part 1 (I think?): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82661

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2016 at 04:59 PM

We just plan to stay elsewhere when the Jardines wonderful restaurant is closed on Mondays. I get that Esmeralda and Carlos run another restaurant in town and have two kids. Just don't know why they cannot let other trusted employees run the Jardines resturant on Mondays.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 03:12 PM

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great time.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 03:39 PM

On a Monday, we usually go out the the Los Pinos folks hotel on Santa Maria Bay. They upgraded the rooms and brought in a great chef.

I understand that Don Eddy's in quite close to Jardines, but I never want to get back in the car after we have checked in after a full day of driving.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.