Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Felipe to San Luis crossing
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 08:52 AM
San Felipe to San Luis crossing

Looking at the map, I might take BC4 east to Son40 north. Any advice on the best route?
Thanks
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 09:08 AM

Because of two lane traffic and towns, it is much faster to just go up to hwy 2 toll road and go east to San Luis.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 09:16 AM

I did not cross over to Sonora 40, but I took BC 4 to BC 3 then north to Algodones in 2013. It was an interesting route, and I enjoyed it, but it got pretty confusing in a few places about where and when to turn. My GPS wasn't a lot of help, it kept trying to get me back to BC 5.

I drive a small SUV, and would love to try the Sonora 40 route next time, but if I was driving a large rig, pulling a trailer, I think I would stick to the main road.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 10:42 AM

I did this last year and followed my Tom Tom's directions zig zagging on 2 lane roads through small farm towns. Not bad though - very light traffic. The crossing at San Luis was only about 20 minutes (weekday) but I queue up to get into secondary (it was packed) . when I finally got into a space I had to exit the truck with dog and wait in a waiting room until they got around to inspecting the camper. This took about an hour.

MICK
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 10:49 AM

If you try your way it is only hard when you get to Coahuila there is no sign to turn north in town to head to Luis b Sanchez where you catch 40

Ok being here is fun to
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 11:06 AM

On hwy 4 in Coahuila there is a 4 way stop with a divided roadway to your right. On that right hand corner there is a store with a big Bud Light sign. If you look to your left up the street there is an OXXO. Turn left towards the OXXO The street name is Cuarta 5 de Mayo, cross the railroad tracks follow the highway and you will be on your way.........if you go straight (like I did the first time) you will end up in a residential area https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1972929,-114.9986648,19z

PS: Just past the OXXO on your left there is a great fish taco/shrimp c-cktail place

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
If you try your way it is only hard when you get to Coahuila there is no sign to turn north in town to head to Luis b Sanchez where you catch 40
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by twogringos  
Looking at the map, I might take BC4 east to Son40 north. Any advice on the best route?
Thanks

====
Just did that drive last week via Durango, Oviedo Morta, Zaragoza and Coahuila, but we headed south to Purto Penasco. Hwy 4 is slow as it passes thru the farm lands. Then when you get near Coahuila we found the road is bad shape. Very straight forward with only tricky turns at Coahuila. Use Google maps to get an up to date view of how the road goes. Its not a bad way to go.
* And we took the San Luis crossing 3 weeks ago by way of Hwy 2D/2. We found fast travel until the border where is was very slow. Then to get to Yuma we found bad traffic and congestion. Sentry or Ready would be faster.
* Our normal crossing is Algodones via Hwy 2D/2. 50 to 60 mph all the way after 2 to the crossing and fast at the gates. You are advised to not go this way with a trailer or motorhome.
Toll for 2D/2 is 22 pesos to Algodones and double if you drive to San Luis.
Bottom line Algodones is way best for us. Easy trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 02:25 PM
MAP

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 02:39 PM

Thanks for the map DK! That is the one I was using, but there seem to be many other roads intersecting, and parallel to the ones shown. I was never quite
sure if I was on the right road, or missed a turn.

I broke the screen on my TomTom the day I crossed on my way south, and had to replace it with a P.O.S. Garmin which I was not able to figure out very well while driving, so it was worse than useless to me. Glad to hear that Mojo Norte's TomTom worked for him. I got another one myself, and have much better luck with it.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 03:15 PM

I wandered around those back roads, think Iwas lost most of the time..but it was really enjoyable...But then, I am never in a hurry anymore.

MICK
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 04:42 PM

The left hand bottom of the GD box below Durango is exactly where I live.
Not in the box, on the river
Mick
The rough road and traffic is why I would stay on 5 to 2

Ok being here is fun to
abalonebabe

Mood: Baja Bound

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 04:49 PM

We always go Hwy 5 to Hwy 2, then over to San Luis. Easy, fast drive.

Does anyone know what the San Luis border crossing is called so I can apply online for FMM? There is San Luis Rio Colorado I and San Luis Rio Colorado II for the choices.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 05:00 PM

I've ridden many of those 2 lane roads on my moto while heading south out of San Louis and Algodones. I would not drive them in a crate. There's the random but frequent tope to deal with as well as the intermittent pot hole. Traffic can get congested depending on time of day and the day of the week. We've done it just for fun when time is not a constraint but overall, it's best to use Mex 2 which has a very small toll and Mex 5.

Enjoy the trip, the last Pemex on Mex 5 is on the north end of Colonia la Puerta.

[Edited on 4-18-2016 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 05:07 PM

True the topes on hwy5 are huge and every body stops and creeps over them
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 05:09 PM

The map Bajaguy posted is the best one I shows great road info. Mych better than the old one DK posted
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
Because of two lane traffic and towns, it is much faster to just go up to hwy 2 toll road and go east to San Luis.
Mick

I agree, the price of tolls is worth it.

Bob Durrell
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 05:36 PM

I think most of us can agree that Highways 5 and 2 are the cruise route. I did that already...now I want to see what else is around there.

I know some others who post here also feel that the journey IS the destination!

I wonder what the original poster thinks about this conversation we are having?

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Where is the new toll road from SLRC to Puerto Penasco (almost)?

Bob Durrell
MICK
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 11:42 AM

Not on this map. You head east on 2 and then turn right onto the autopista. It comes out north of el Golfo just south of el Doctor on this map

Ok being here is fun to
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 12:56 PM

Over view of Highways in Sonora and the routes discussed such as Hwy’s 5, 4, 40, 22, 2D/2, & 3

One can zoom out to find up to date detail on the provided link
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1972929,-114.9986648,19z
Good luck finding El Doctor. We drove thru there and saw no sign of such a place, but it is on the map. Maybe is was a couple of abandoned structures?
Regarding Hwy 40 it is about as good as you will find. 2 lane and fast.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.