Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pro Gear is Back!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 05:44 AM
Pro Gear is Back!

Chark Bait has them on special here.
I still use my 1990s era ProGear and just noticed that they are back. Anyone have any comments on the new line-up? At $219 w/ free spooling, seems like a decent deal.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 07:18 AM

Hey neighbor! I just received my new 30 from Charkbait Saturday. They spooled 50lb spectra for free and 100 yards of 25lb mono for an extra $6. Looks to be a very solid reel. I have a lot of Avets and this feels about like an MX. Free spool is outstanding. I'll put it to work on the yellows next month and report back. I'm sending you a U2U regarding my lease of Docs casita in front of you. See you down there.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 07:57 AM

Great deal for sure! I used to have one Pro Gear and sold it. They look like they have really improved their reels...Let us know how they are!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 07:55 PM

Is that a casting control adjustment on the side (what else would it be, I guess) ? I wont buy reels without them, anymore, at least below a 4/0 size. Heck, I dont know if I will ever buy a reel as big as a 40 or 4/0.

If that is a casting control, do you have to have a screwdriver to adjust it? Doesnt look very finger-friendly, unless you have long, strong nails.

I like the looks of the 30. Replacing some of my older Daiwa SL Series 30 and 40 SH reels (I still love the SL 20 SH and I still use my Newell 220-5!). This could work IF that is a convenient casting control.

Those 20s looks sweet, too!

[Edited on 4-26-2016 by Hook]
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 08:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Is that a casting control adjustment on the side (what else would it be, I guess) ? I wont buy reels without them, anymore, at least below a 4/0 size. Heck, I dont know if I will ever buy a reel as big as a 40 or 4/0.

If that is a casting control, do you have to have a screwdriver to adjust it? Doesnt look very finger-friendly, unless you have long, strong nails.

I like the looks of the 30. Replacing some of my older Daiwa SL Series 30 and 40 SH reels (I still love the SL 20 SH!). This could work IF that is a convenient casting control.

Your thumb is the best cast control you will ever need.
Teach it.

[Edited on 4-26-2016 by DaliDali]

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 08:03 AM

Thanks, but I've been casting open reels for 40 years, long before casting controls. A good casting control can be better in many situations. You can get longer casts with a well adjusted casting control, IMO.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, but I've been casting open reels for 40 years, long before casting controls. A good casting control can be better in many situations. You can get longer casts with a well adjusted casting control, IMO.

A casting control, or backlash control, slows the spool down to help prevent backlashes.
Slowing down the spool revolutions is going to cut into any distance by definition. Slow or slowing spool.....less distance.
Most cast control features I have ran across are just bling and not much else IMO.
Friction or magnetic control.......they both slow down the spool revolutions.

But your right....under some circumstances, a cast or backlash control device might prevent a backlash.
Like on a tossing and bobbing boat where you can't get the leverage just right to fling that lure as far as possible.

I have been tossing lures and bait longer than you and I STILL get the occasional backlash or bird's nest.
Each time a guy uses a different rod and reel combo.....the dynamics change.

In regards to that ProGear reel......the price is attractive but at that price point, it is likely all the components are foreign sourced and only assembled in the US......whereas an Accurate or Avet are machined and assembled up in the Los Angeles area.
Machined frame from solid billet stock aluminum or sand casting....it makes a difference in tolerances......but there goes the price......up.

Penn reels has upped their game with the line of Fathom conventional reels also.....both lever and star drags at LESS than that ProGear price.
Made in China si, but I own one and it's a great reel for here in the south SOC area. A 25N model will handle most everything around these parts and toss a 4oz lure like a bullet.

Lures.....if you have a source locally for a MegaBait "live" jig piece of "iron" in the pink shad color......4.5oz......get some. I got bit recently on that jig/color more than I have any Salas or Tady iron.
This was a straight drop to the bottom (250') and yo yo up 20 fast cranks and let fall again.......repeat as needed.
More often than not, I got bit on the sink.

Good luck to you over there and let's hope the Dorado decide to show up this year.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 11:00 AM

Thank you for all your input. Yes, I understand what the casting control does to the spool. I just prefer replicating the strength of the cast, rather than the pressure of the thumb on a rocking boat. I can usually find a setting that allows me to fling it with all my might each time and still not get a backlash. Maybe it might not go quite as far, but if I am fishing over somewhat shallow rocks, I will take the near absence of backlashes over some distance.

The Pro Gear price point is improved a bit by the free spectra. Unlike other purchases I have made from Charkbait, this time the top shot is NOT free, though.

I will certainly look into that new Penn series.

How are you using those Megabait jigs? On the drop or casting or both? I really cant imagine a 4.5 oz jig getting to the bottom quickly in 250 feet of water. I would be using a turkey slider/knife-type jig in that application. Is it shaped like that?

On a recent bottom fishing day (450-600 feet) I decided to use some of my heaviest (320 gr.) instead of a 16oz weight and a gangion. I was pleasantly surprised how well it got down. On this day I caught a 31 lb baqueta AND it seems to allow me to avoid the pest-like tiny sculpin that crawl onto the gangions. I was using 7/0 assist hooks on the jig.

I thought Megabait had gone under, but I dont keep up on tackle as much as I used to. I always liked their little casting sardines and chovies and macks. I still have a few but they are very worn.

[Edited on 4-26-2016 by Hook]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 11:31 AM

I am not finding that the Fathom series is cheaper than the new Pro Gear. Where are you sourcing those?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 11:54 AM

Just bought a fathom 2 speed lever drag in the large size. Plan to hook into at least one monster of the deep in June.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 01:28 PM

I am not finding that the Fathom series is cheaper than the new Pro Gear. Where are you sourcing those?

Tackle Direct sells the Penn 25N Lever Drag for $152.49

http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-fth25nld-lever-drag-reel.ht...

Chark is more but he might meet that price?....

The MegaBait jig is like a knife jig I suppose. NOT the candy bar Tady or Salas type.
It sinks like a rock with some flutter on the way down.
FAR less time to reach the bottom over a like weight Salas.

The FerreMar in Loreto has a ton of them in all colors and sizes....Pink shad and purple mack are the hot, go to colors as far as I am concerned.

Good luck
edit to add a link to MegaBait jigs.

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=megabait+jigs&espv=2&...

Here you go......PINK....... http://www.anglerscenter.com/lures/hard-soft-bodied-lures/me...

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 07:23 AM

I was surprised to see a, "Made in Taiwan" sticker under the reel clamp when I opened the box. Guess I thought Pro Gear was all USA. Doesn't bother me. I have a ton of Newells, Avets, Accurates, Penns, you name it. As long as it is not Shimano! Never had a Pro Gear. So far I like it and I'm sure it will work fine. The truth is practically every modern reel is outstanding and way overbuilt! I have never caught a fish that overwhelmed my gear. Maybe it was too big for my line test, but it never maxed out the ability of the reel or the rod.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
I was surprised to see a, "Made in Taiwan" sticker under the reel clamp when I opened the box. Guess I thought Pro Gear was all USA. Doesn't bother me. I have a ton of Newells, Avets, Accurates, Penns, you name it. As long as it is not Shimano! Never had a Pro Gear. So far I like it and I'm sure it will work fine. The truth is practically every modern reel is outstanding and way overbuilt! I have never caught a fish that overwhelmed my gear. Maybe it was too big for my line test, but it never maxed out the ability of the reel or the rod.

lol...well mark (charkbait) stresses that these reels are built in taiwan, NOT CHINA....of course mark's in the business of selling reels..........

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.