BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Bocana to Asuncion dirt road with travel trailer??
Bielefeld
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 02:33 PM
La Bocana to Asuncion dirt road with travel trailer??

I am planning of to visit La Bocana in 10 days with my 22 ft traveltrailer and an old GMC Pickup.

Is it still possible to camp in front of the restaurant close to the fishermen on the south side of town, like I did 2 years ago?

And main question.

What do you think: If I take my time, air down the tires and have a few cold beers at the ready, would it be possible to take the coastal dirt road and save me the 160 miles on the highway via Viscaino? I sure want to go to Asuncion as well!!

Thanks for the infos!!

[Edited on 5-11-2016 by Bielefeld]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 02:39 PM

Totally doable. Prolly gotta go 10 mph but what's the rush!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 03:08 PM

I'd do it in Woody's trailer but not mine. It's possible but I'd go the long way.

BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 03:19 PM

I did that section 2 weeks ago. It was washboard most of the way.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 03:24 PM

The small rocks that the tow vehicle kicks up will beat the crap out of the front of the trailer.
It will look like someone took a shotgun to it.......seriously.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 04:29 PM

Put this on the back of your vehicle to protect the trailer.

http://www.adventurerv.net/splash-stop-p-4909.html
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 05:17 PM

If you are lucky enough to be on the road right after it is graded, no problems! How about it Nomad, do you feel lucky?

I drove that stretch right before the 2014 Baja 1000, and it was the most hateful stretch of washboard on the whole trip, which included nearly half of the race course, and an additional 500 miles of other back roads.

10 mph was too fast, it was a 4 or 40 kind of road! I was towing a small utility trailer built for off road, but the welds on the spare tire carrier failed from all the shaking, and I lost it.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 05:48 PM

For what it's worth, I drove that road 4 years ago and again last year (right after a rain storm).
4 years ago I drove it in under one hour with the air on the FJ Cruiser at 22 lbs. Last year I also drove it in about 45 minutes (lots of mud!) with about 18 psi on the tires.
Don't count on camping near the restaurant. The pilings are underwater at high tide. Safest place is about 1000' above the tide line which puts you near the dunes.
At times, even the flats that you drive on to get to the restaurant are under water.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bielefeld
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 07:02 PM

Thanks guys, I have a Honda XR250 with me. I thínk, I will drive the dirt road on the bike to check the current situation. Then I will decide.

@Udo: you are right. 2 years ago we stayed in front of the restaurant. But after 3 days the tide came in so high, that we had to leave. Sadly because we really enjoyed the spot: very nice right on the entrance of the lagoon, friendly people and even wifi from the restaurant. And all for free. They just asked to have a meal at the very good restaurant once in a while. Nothing easier than that, since the prices were very reasonable. The restaurant is owned by the cooperativo, I was told. I hope, it is still there!

We are in Loreto now and will try it out in a few days. I will give a report how it worked out!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 07:56 PM

:o:bounce::biggrin:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 08:48 PM

Be sure to visit us!

Ask for Blanca the English teacher.

It is OK to camp on the beach and it is also OK to camp at the end of the point that we call Bocanita.

and it is also OK to camp in front of our B&B - so you would have a shower and bathroom and internet for $5 pp with an option to have Les's famous breakfast for another $5! You can come for breakfast any day if you let us know the day before.

The restaurant is still there and still great. I have no idea how the road to Asuncion is right now - perfect idea to check it out first.

I hope we meet you, wherever you stay ~ Blanca

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2016 at 08:27 PM

and they came! It was so fun to meet bajanomad Bielefeld and his wife today! They are headed north from here to USA.....if anyone wants to offer them a beer, and hear lots of great stories, they will not disappoint! They have been coming to Baja since 1988.

Shari, they are headed to Bahia Asuncion when they return in the Fall.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bielefeld
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 09:22 PM

Thanks Blanca and Les for all your hospitality. You run a great b&b!!

To all the responders to my question: I chickened out... I rode the dirtroad to Hipolito from the south on my Honda 250R and it was quite terrible, even though I was told, it was graded just 3 weeks ago.
My old '96 traveltrailer would have been beaten to death. When we come back in October we will visit Bahia Asuncion another time via blacktop...
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2016 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bielefeld  
Thanks Blanca and Les for all your hospitality. You run a great b&b!!

To all the responders to my question: I chickened out... I rode the dirtroad to Hipolito from the south on my Honda 250R and it was quite terrible, even though I was told, it was graded just 3 weeks ago.
My old '96 traveltrailer would have been beaten to death. When we come back in October we will visit Bahia Asuncion another time via blacktop...

Good call! Glad you had a great time!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.