BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: August 10 day excursion thoughts....
castone001

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 02:13 PM
August 10 day excursion thoughts....

in planning stages now for a 10 day run from San Diego to as far south as Mag Bay. Plan to drive during day and lay over a couple spots for fishing (plan to hire Panga etc.) or off shore. See some sights and generally explore a bit for next trip which would be longer :)

3 newer 4x4's, 2 per truck, me and my 11 year old son in mine. Plan to stay in local hotels and maybe beach camp. I know it will be hot on SOC side but heck I live in Murrieta, its hot here :)

Love to hear opinions and thoughts on possible plan.

Currently thinking......
Day 1
Home to Alfonsina's 6 - 8 hours
Day 2
Alfonsinas to Punta San Francisquito 4 - 7 hours
Day 3
Layover Punta San Francisquito Fishing
Day 4
Punta San Francisquito to Loreto 6 - 8 hours
Day 5
Layover Loreto Fishing
Day 6
Loreto to Mag Bay
Day 7
Layover Mag Bay area Fishing

OR

Day 6
Loreto to Guerreo Negro area to fish Cedros Island 5 - 8 hours
Day 7
Layover Fish Cedros Island
Day 8
Guerrero Negro Area to San Quintin 5 - 8 hours
Day 9
Layover San Quintin Fishing
Day 10
San Quintin to Home 5 - 8 hours
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 02:34 PM

august in bcs is nothing like murietta...

the humidity is really high...you'll sweat for sure

try to rule camping out if you can

it's also the rainy season...so put a "rain plan" in place
the "vados" fill really fast and it rains in the mountains almost every afternoon
rain is an event in baja...nothing like murietta

the fishing on the other hand will be GREAT!!!

I love the summer

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 02:55 PM

Sounds like a lot of driving. You may want to spend at least 2-3 days at a nice spot you find to relax and unwind. The Pacific side is nice in August, I think. Cortez side is humid, sleeping not easy in August on the east coast.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 02:56 PM

3 vehicles for 6 people? Leave one vehicle at home. You'll save lots of money, and have a lower GHG footprint. Use the money you save to upgrade your hotels. Yes, you will need to hotel it, it is miserably hot and humid in august.

Rethink your plan of traveling in august. Seriously, the humid heat sucks.
castone001

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 02:58 PM

Thanks for the comments!! Yes your right it is way more humid then Murrieta! Camping probably out no biggie.

Agree on the amount of driving, could be a bit more then we want, we are pretty relaxed and fluid with our planning at this point :)

chickendoug

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 03:23 PM

Stick to the pacific side that time of year.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 03:46 PM

I have only been on the peninsula between late September, to early May. How are the mosquitoes and gnats during the summer months (Cortez vs Pacific)

My thoughts on a ten day trip....not enough time, but if that is what you have to work with, I hope you make the most of it!

[Edited on 5-17-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 03:46 PM

you may be storm dodging...so you may want to sneak over to central baja Pacside if a hurricane threatens Mag Bay...best made plans have lots of contingency plans and open options.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Jozee

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 10:15 PM

I spent 10 days in August traveling from San Diego to Mulege and back a few years back with my 12 year old son, a foreign exchange student, and my dog. We had two quads and a dirt bike with us for exploring. I have spent many summers in Florida, Georgia, and Arizona. The trip was epic, but I have to tell you, BCS in August was a "hot" like I have never known. We made some adjustments to our schedule and planned absolutely everything for very early morning and dusk/night, except for swimming. Have a great trip! Stay hydrated!

EDIT: I should have added that I would totally do it again! It was hot, but the heat was not a deal breaker for future BCS trips in August.

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by Jozee]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 06:48 AM

The Sea of Cortez will be awful in August.

I would go:

D1-drive to Santa Rosalillita area
N1-Santa Rosalillita area, beach camping
D2-Santa Rosalillita area for surf fishing, drive to Asuncion or La Bocana later
N2-Asuncion or La Bocana
D3-Asuncion or La Bocana for panga fishing
N3-Asuncion or La Bocana
D4-Asuncion or La Bocana for panga fishing
N4-Asuncion or La Bocana
D5-drive to Puerto Lopez Mateos via La Purisima route
N5-Puerto Lopez Mateos
D6-panga fishing outside of Boca de Soledad
N6-Puerto Lopez Mateos
D7-panga fishing outside of Boca de Soledad
N7-Puerto Lopez Mateos
D8-drive back to Santa Rosalillita area
N8-Santa Rosalillita area
D9-surf fishing in Santa Rosalillita area in AM, drive to Hotel Jardines in SQ later.
N9-Jardines
D10-drive home.

Stay cool. Stay away from the Sea in August. Camping options in every area mentioned. No sweating nights in a tent, under an Easy-Up or in a vehicle.

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by Hook]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 07:01 AM

just a heads up...the dates for the Asuncion Traditional Fiestas are Aug.11-15 during which the town is completely full with fiesta revelers! While it is alot of fun going to all the various events like surf tournament, horse races, rodeo, beach sports, sand castle making, fishing tournament, dances to live bands every night etc etc....if you arent the noisy type you may want to avoid our village those dates...or NOT...it is super fun but no hotel rooms for drop ins but our campground is always available...or camp in SAn Roque...a gorgeous pristine beach just 15 minutes from Asuncion...nice n quiet there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 07:18 AM

I did 6 days camping below La Ribera last week. It was already hot....up to 99 and very damp. All our gear got wet from the moisture in the air.

Loved the above Pacific side itinerary. That makes sense for a good time.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 07:30 AM

I dunno, we spent a few daze in BdeLA last Aug and it was hot as balls but it felt good. You just gotta stay out of direct sunlight. Sleeping outside on a cot and get woke up by rain is awesome!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 08:08 AM

Stop my San Pedro Martir sometime! Mountain camping in Baja! Total opposite of what you have planned, but it could be fun for a night to mix it up.

castone001

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 09:00 AM

Thank you all for the great suggestions!! Excitied now as ever to head down.....will take into account the heat and humid on Sea of Cortez side and plan accordingly.

this is what is great about this site!

Thanks!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 04:05 PM

If you go to the Pacific side and down to Bahia Asuncion you might want to consider a side trip to Malarrimo Beach at the jct for San Jose de Castro. Since you have 4x4s fun trip with lots of junk on the beach from the currents. I don't know about the surf fishing as I have not done it there. Some have called it a beach comers paradise.

Here is a trip report I did from Jan. 2015. Go down about half way for the Malarrimo section.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77391

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by TMW]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you go to the Pacific side and down to Bahia Asuncion you might want to consider a side trip to Malarrimo Beach at the jct for San Jose de Castro. Since you have 4x4s fun trip with lots of junk on the beach from the currents. I don't know about the surf fishing as I have not done it there. Some have called it a beach comers paradise.

Here is a trip report I did from Jan. 2015. Go down about half way for the Malarrimo section.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77391

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by TMW]

Malarrimo is the perfect place to lose your truck! The quicksand there is relentless. Number of rusted car carcasses rusting mostly buried bear witness. One of the most exciting places in baja though.

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 10:47 AM

I was there in early 2000s and you drove right to the beach. Then it was best to stay on the east side high on the sand. As you got closer to the ocean you had to be very careful about the mud under the sand to the west of the road.

Last year when we went it was totally different. The hurricane rains had changed the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile. There was a large pond cut off from the sea, except maybe at high tides and the sand on the east side was deep and soft. We did not try to drive to the beach but stopped maybe 1/8 mile short, then walked. We found a lot of stuff. The #1 item seemed to be flip flops but it was hard to find a left and right of the same color.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 11:00 AM

Not like when Mike McMahan and family spent time out there in the 1960s and early 70s ...

The above photos are from Mike's great 1974 book...

(new copies available at www.oldmissions.com scroll down )

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 11:16 AM

I found my share of cruise missiles, crates with whiskey, shoes from China (the ones people in China wear), British military maps, etc etc

and if you really want to make it an epic trip - take the eastern route (old Pemex exploration road)
Starts at 27°27'10.26"N, 114° 8'48.08"W

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.