Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Welders out there???
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 06:54 AM
Welders out there???

We want to buy our metal fabricator a wire feed as a gift for his excellent service over the years. We know very little about the subject aside from the fact that it looks like an excellent tool for him. An important consideration would be his operating costs using this technology. Any recommendations?

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 07:18 AM

lincoln wire feeder. 110 volt input, They sell them at Home depot. I like the fact that you can also get the gun contact tips and nozzle insulator there. I own several of them. Also owned miller but liked the lincoln better. I still own Miller TIG and generator but those lincoln are rock solid
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 07:24 AM

Do not buy a cheap unit for a fabricator. minimum is going to be $1500.

Operating costs include wire, gas, and tips. tip cost is minimul, wire (30 LB) $45, Argon Gas mix $1 per cu ft (cost depends on size of bottle (40 lb bottle = $40).

Depends on how much welding as to how often replenishment occurs.

Is there Argon or CO2 gas available close by...It is the item most often in need of purchasing.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 07:33 AM

Pretty handy tool to have around .. at times :)
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 07:54 AM

if it is for outdoor use ,go with flux core wire.035.winds over 5 mph will blow away the argon/Co2 mix. Indoor you can go with a bottle and wire as the welds have no slag and are pretty much paint ready. It depends what your uses are. One welder cant do it all.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:15 AM

What kind of fabbing would he be doing?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:19 AM

He says the guy is a fabricator. I would not get a smaller home unit for a fabricator. For the occasional small job a 110 unit might be fine...not for everyday use.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  
if it is for outdoor use ,go with flux core wire.035.winds over 5 mph will blow away the argon/Co2 mix. Indoor you can go with a bottle and wire as the welds have no slag and are pretty much paint ready. It depends what your uses are. One welder cant do it all.

I have a Miller 185 and occasionally use it outside. Use a 2-sided shield if the wind is blowing.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:28 AM

This is what I would recommend - I'm sure Lincoln makes a comparable machine.

http://store.cyberweld.com/mi190migwewi.html
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by AguaDulce  

I have a Miller 185 and occasionally use it outside. Use a 2-sided shield if the wind is blowing.

I currently have a Miller 210 but my Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 flux machine gets more use these days.
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:34 AM

Yes what type of fabricator? gates fences? 110 will do 95% of all 3/16 easy and no structural . I would not put on a trailer hitch with it. like i said 1 welder will not do it all ,and dragging around a large welder from job to job with a tank is a bear. 5 mph is code from my welding business. 220 volt , then he needs 220 power at job site.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 08:42 AM

In Anchorage, I have a Lincoln model 110 flux core welder. It is a very versatile, portable welder, and I am very pleased with it's capability.

I needed a welder in CA, so I fell for the low price lure of a Harbor Freight wire feed welder, and it is a complete piece of trash!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 09:00 AM

Just my 2 cents, but I bought this eastwood mig welder 175 amp and it comes with a spool gun for use with aluminum. All for $500. It also does stainless and 3/8" mild steel. I have had it 2 years now and no problems. If you run out of gas then it also will work with flux core wire.
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend for you fabricator.
http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spo...

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 11:20 AM

Another nice option is one I recently picked up (used) The Lincoln Dual MIG 180. It can use either 110vac or 220vac. Better duty cycle on 220 but for field work the 110 is available.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/Pages/product...

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 02:03 PM

Eduardo has a typical metal shop making: gates, stairs, handrail, windows, shade structures and the like. Most work in 1/4" mild steel or less. 95% is fabricated in his shop. He has a portable "stick" welder for jobsite installation. I just figured in my daydreams it would cost about 5 hunnert bucks but if a grand is what it is so be it. Fifteen hundred seems like a stretch but I don't want to get him a p.o.s. that is toast in 6 months. It needs to be rugged because care and maintenance aren't high on the list of a typical Mexican worker trying to bang out a living. Many thanks to those of you that have taken the time. The research continues. Next step - dealers in La Paz.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 02:47 PM

or craigslist. I checked Tucson and there were a number of possibilities.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2016 at 09:40 AM

$500 bucks gets him a 175 amp welder with a spool gun so he can do aluminum also. if it was me I would ask him what welder he thought would help him the most. Might as well get him what he wants instead of trying to guess what will help him.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-4-2016 at 03:33 PM

Good on ya wee bray ... for thinking about things that help folks in your area :):)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.