Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury 150 2 Stroke repair question Punta Chivato
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 11:46 PM
Mercury 150 2 Stroke repair question Punta Chivato

I am in Punta Chivato and I am in need of a new lower unit for my Mercury 150, 2 stroke. Perhaps someone knows of a mechanic in the Santa Rosalia/Mulege area? The engine is practically brand having replaced the entire upper unit lees then 100 hours ago. The lower unit crapped out shortly after so we brought the unit to the states to get fixed but the mechanic we brought it too went out of business and we never saw them or my parts again.

Once the engine is put back together it will need a good going over as it has been a couple of years since it has run.

So I am literally missing the entire lower half of the engine. I would rather not have to tow the boat, 24 foot trophy cuddy cabin, back to the states if I don't have to.

My other options is to just sell it as is. Any thoughts on repair shops from any of those in the know. I will be in Chivato over the 4th for about a week.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 04:59 AM

if you are in the US near San Diego call Fernando "Outboard King".

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=60183

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 05:04 AM

Isnt there a shop right out on Hiway 1? Is he out of business or what? He as done good work in the past and had lots of parts motors...

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
I am in Punta Chivato and I am in need of a new lower unit for my Mercury 150, 2 stroke. Perhaps someone knows of a mechanic in the Santa Rosalia/Mulege area? The engine is practically brand having replaced the entire upper unit lees then 100 hours ago. The lower unit crapped out shortly after so we brought the unit to the states to get fixed but the mechanic we brought it too went out of business and we never saw them or my parts again.

Once the engine is put back together it will need a good going over as it has been a couple of years since it has run.

So I am literally missing the entire lower half of the engine. I would rather not have to tow the boat, 24 foot trophy cuddy cabin, back to the states if I don't have to.

My other options is to just sell it as is. Any thoughts on repair shops from any of those in the know. I will be in Chivato over the 4th for about a week.

I recently was faced with the same issue and found a number of shops on the internet who specialize in supplying used/rebuilt lower units. Most of them seemed located in Florida but will ship anywhere. Maybe do a search and if you find one, have it shipped where you can go pick it up.
Good luck.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 06:06 AM

If he is still there, Francisco in San Lucas is pretty good. Take the main street west from Mx 1 about 4 or 5 blocks, he is on the right side, can't miss the yard is full of boats. I don't have his phone number readily available..
Also, Fernando Ye next to Mario's taco stand in Mulege behind the carwash has been trained by Mercury I think.. He does quite a bit of work for locals in Mulege..
I have had both of them do work and have always treated me fairly and taken care of the problems well..
Both are close enough to you to stop by and talk to them..
Good luck

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 07:28 AM

OK, first you need a rebuild on your lower unit. That means sending the old one to rebuild. The best I have found is: Boat Motor Recyclers
1104 Riverside Dr. Burnsville, MN 55337 Phone 952-894-4888
You can also find them on the web.
Once you have a new transmission, then Fransisco in San Lucas is your guy to install and check the unit. Also be sure that you get a new kit for your impeller and water pump. Most of the failures I see down here is because people do not change their impellers every two years.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 08:03 AM

Hi moose,

In Punta Chivato call Carlos Varela the contractor (speaks English), he lives in Palo Verde and he knows just about everyone in the area: he'll know about an outboard mechanic, and while your at it, go to Julia's (his mom) Restaurant in Punta Chivato for an excellent REAL Mexican home cooked meal, you can also buy beer, sodas, purified drinking water, fresh homemade flour tortillas and also firewood at her home based restaurant:

Carlos mobile: 615-107-1058

In San Lucas try calling Francisco:

work: 615-160-1031
mobile: 615-104-4677

In Mulege call the best fishing guide around: Alex "Buko" Bukovecz (speaks English), hell point you on the right direction, he has two working pangas:

mobile: 615-104-3979

he will definitely know someone that can help you, his friend Bernabe worked on my boat's motor a couple of years ago and was a great help, I tried calling Bernabe a minute ago but only get his answering service, his number is:

mobile: 616-107-6894

If you decide to haul your boat back up north, I have a great (if not the best) mechanic in Ensenada, Jaime Cabral:

Address: Río Seco 1136, Col. Tercer Ayuntamiento, Ensenada B.C. (https://www.google.com/maps/place/R%C3%ADo+Seco+1136,+M%C3%A...)
mobile: 646-185-9833

He does excellent work, very honest and has a really clean shop near downtown, he specializes in Merc's and probably can find whatever parts you need right there in Ensenada... forget about Fernando in Santee, CA, he's a swindler: he and his son burnt me out of a couple of hundred bucks... for nothing. I DO have a story to tell about both... he sold me an apparently excellent looking 115hp '89 Merc that just a couple of weeks later left me stranded in the middle of Bahia Concepcion... with my whole family!!! That's when I met Jaime in Ensenada, I highly recommend him, and the best is that he's rates are really great...!!!

Best of luck....!!!

[Edited on 6-23-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 09:10 PM

Thank you all for the responses I will definitely reach out to some of these next week when in town. As a reminder my lower unit is gone so who ever ends up working on it will need the parts either from me or from their sources. I will let everyone know what I find out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.