BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: No FMM = Invalid Auto Insurance ???
DJM86

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 10:02 AM
No FMM = Invalid Auto Insurance ???

So everyone must obtain an FMM when traveling to Baja now. Last year when I stopped at El Chapparel to get the free (less than 7 day) FMM for myself and family we were the only people in there. There were literally hundreds of vehicles crossing the border into Baja at the time. I asked the Mexican border agents if the FMM were required and he said yes. So I said and pointed towards all the vehicles crossing "then all of those people already have FMMs?" He nodded and said they should.

Obviously the laws are only good when enforced and the FMM isn't enforced. My concern is that I have read that if you get into a vehicle accident and do not have your valid FMM that the auto insurance company may make your policy invalid. What is everyone's thought on this?

Thank you
Darren
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 10:08 AM

A call or email to your Insurance agent will give you peace of mind. Many of us here use Baja Bound (a sponsor of Baja Nomad) and the owner of Baja Bound has posted that your immigration status does not invalidate the policy you paid for.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 10:10 AM

This discussion was very recent; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83294

[Edited on 6-28-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 10:20 AM

I would not want to find out the hard way so I get the FMM for 180 days and rest easy knowing that I am in full compliance. :saint:

Quote: Originally posted by DJM86  
So everyone must obtain an FMM when traveling to Baja now. Last year when I stopped at El Chapparel to get the free (less than 7 day) FMM for myself and family we were the only people in there. There were literally hundreds of vehicles crossing the border into Baja at the time. I asked the Mexican border agents if the FMM were required and he said yes. So I said and pointed towards all the vehicles crossing "then all of those people already have FMMs?" He nodded and said they should.

Obviously the laws are only good when enforced and the FMM isn't enforced. My concern is that I have read that if you get into a vehicle accident and do not have your valid FMM that the auto insurance company may make your policy invalid. What is everyone's thought on this?

Thank you
Darren

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 10:26 AM

Yes indeed! The OP even comments he was getting his... but wondered about all those non-Mexican plated cars driving into Mexico without stopping for their tourist card.

While getting ours in Mexicali, we were the only car that stopped at INM to get the FMM in the 20 or so minutes we were there, on a busy Saturday morning... We could see dozens of U.S. campers and 4x4s driving into Mexico and not stopping.

Obviously, everyone else already had a 180 day FMM that was still valid!! (LOL, wink, wink)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DJM86

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 11:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I searched prior to posting but that link to the post above didn't come up. I used "auto" and not "car". Oh well.
Yeah I'm sure the vast majority of people do not get FMMs or even auto insurance for that matter. But the practical side of me says to just get it. A small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Thanks again for the replies. T-3 days until I'm headed down to Baja.

[Edited on 6-28-2016 by DJM86]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 12:53 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I just realized you were new to this board, welcome, and please let us know how it goes! If you see something, say something (and photos would be nice)!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 01:49 PM

Yeah I'm sure the vast majority of people do not get FMMs or even auto insurance for that matter. But the practical side of me says to just get it. A small price to pay for the peace of mind.

[Edited on 6-28-2016 by DJM86]

Up until last Oct., Mex Imm would unofficially not require fmm's
for short, a few days visit, down to Ensenada or so. As of last
Oct., their official position changed, so ALL visitors to Baja
regardless of length of days or milage into Baja technically
require an fmm. All peds walking into TJ have to get some
fmm to enter. They don't have the space or manpower to
enforce that for tourists entering by vehicle to get an fmm.
Some tourists don't know the current regs others don't want
the bother. Good ? as to what % of tourists get Mex Ins, I'm
guessing it is fairly high

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 01:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I searched prior to posting but that link to the post above didn't come up. I used "auto" and not "car". Oh well.
Yeah I'm sure the vast majority of people do not get FMMs or even auto insurance for that matter.

"auto" - must be the other side of the pond, eh?

It's hard to tell, but I don't think that majority of people don't get FMM. Though I think that there are many. Who knows...

People living in Ca and crossing this border often, usually get 180 days FMM. Or they get Residente Permanente status.

I would not completely 100% rely on words of US insurance broker. They sell insurance but they don't make decisions when it comes to paying.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 01:55 PM

If only they could allow on-line FMM purchasing to be as easy as Baja Bound on-line insurance purchasing... without the need to stop at the border to have it validated!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If only they could allow on-line FMM purchasing to be as easy as Baja Bound on-line insurance purchasing... without the need to stop at the border to have it validated!

You should hear all the troubles Mexicanos go through trying to get their tourist visas. Stopping at the border to get a validation is nothing:light:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 02:15 PM

Well, you see that's how we differ... I am for people rights, which means less government regulations and less interference with our mobility. You seem to want governments to compete to make things the most difficult for people to live and travel?

I propose a way to make travel to Mexico easier.
You respond with a reason to keep it difficult.
Anyway, this thread is about going into Mexico, not about going into the U.S.

David, I travel to Baja all the time and find it is very easy to do so. And I respect the laws of Mexico and get the required paperwork. Why would one not is beyond me?!

I am relating first hand information from plenty of Mexicans who point out the difficulties they have traveling to the US. I agree we should make it easier for Mexicans to enter the US instead of more difficult. More tourists in the USA is a good thing, right?

UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 05:17 PM

Even though your insurance company say your insurance is valid without a visa does anyone know about an accident with an injury or fatality. Even though you might get your car fixed how would being in Mexico illegally play with the laws in Mexico?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Well, you see that's how we differ... I am for people rights, which means less government regulations and less interference with our mobility. You seem to want governments to compete to make things the most difficult for people to live and travel?

David, I travel to Baja all the time and find it is very easy to do so. And I respect the laws of Mexico and get the required paperwork. Why would one not is beyond me?!

I am relating first hand information from plenty of Mexicans who point out the difficulties they have traveling to the US. I agree we should make it easier for Mexicans to enter the US instead of more difficult. More tourists in the USA is a good thing, right?

Yes, more legal tourists is a good thing, with none of us staying on after the vacation to get free medical care, housing, and voting privileges.

I have no disagreement about it being harder for Mexicans to visit the United States, but it is done all the time.
It is no excuse for anyone crossing over a frontier, fence, wall, or tunnel instead of the authorized border gates.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by UnoMas  
Even though your insurance company say your insurance is valid without a visa does anyone know about an accident with an injury or fatality. Even though you might get your car fixed how would being in Mexico illegally play with the laws in Mexico?

=======
Depends on the cop. Breaking the law with no papers you should plan on some jail time. With good papers they wont care about jail.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 07:02 PM

How would Mexican INM validate a US passport on-line??

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Yes, more legal tourists is a good thing, with none of us staying on after the vacation to get free medical care, housing, and voting privileges.

I have no disagreement about it being harder for Mexicans to visit the United States, but it is done all the time.
It is no excuse for anyone crossing over a frontier, fence, wall, or tunnel instead of the authorized border gates.

So yes we're in agreement! We don't need anymore walls just enforcement of the existing laws! :light:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 09:36 PM

Tear down the wall!
Open borders!
One world, one people!
peace and harmony trump nationalistic hoarding!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 08:32 AM

:bounce:
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Tear down the wall!
Open borders!
One world, one people!
peace and harmony trump nationalistic hoarding!
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 08:49 AM

Personally I love the whole Baja experience. I like stopping at the border to get my FMM stamped. The agents are so serious I make it my mission to get smiles out of them. I like the soldiers at the check points (I have been giving gifts of American chocolate candy - the only check that refuses the gift was San Ignacio). They are respectful and nice and always ask about my dog. It is especially funny because my father in law, who I follow when we drive home, always tells them something about me which I can't figure out. All I know is that they are always laughing and smiling when I drive up for inspection. In turn I respect Mexico and its' laws. So far I have never had trouble.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.