Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TW to La Bocana
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 10:51 AM
TW to La Bocana

La Bocana Down and Back, June 2016

San Diego, Saturday morning June 25th I stop by BajaBlanca’s moms and load up several bags of clothing, toys and supplies for Blanca. After attending a memorial for a longtime friend I’m off to the border crossing at San Ysidro and get my tourist visa. As I pull thru the check line I’m sent to the far left inspection terminal for an X-ray. It takes a while before I’m back on the road. I forget which exit to take for the detour to the toll road and I find myself in bumper to bumper traffic in TJ. Oh well I just creep along until I see the sign that says Scenic Road, now I’m back on course. Lots of traffic down the toll road and thru Ensenada and Maneadero. Now it’s an easy drive to San Quintin and the hotel Villa de San Quintin for the night.

Sunday morning I’m up early and off to the English Cemetery to the south. I wonder around looking for English names but don’t see any, it is a large Cemetery.

I’m back on the road and my next stop is La Lobera on the coast just north of El Rosario. Interesting site.

Now I settle in for the long drive to BajaBlanca’s place at La Bocana. The drive is un-eventful. The military check points just wave me thru. I did see that Antonio had his fire trucks and ambulances out front between the gas station and the hotel. Pretty impressive and ready to go.
A 34 wheeler on Hwy 1.

I pull up to Blanca and Les’s house where I am greeted with warm and charm. Blanca has dinner waiting just for me. After dinner we unload the supplies and I head over to their B&B close by. Les is expecting a couple of customers. Two young men from San Diego on vacation. They’re planning on fishing, surfing and exploring. That evening I set out side and listen to the ocean surf and watch the sun go down.

Monday morning, I’m up early and get a cup of coffee from my thermos then set in my truck watching the sun rise and listen to the radio. Before long Les is over making fresh coffee and after both men are up he makes his world famous sausage, if it isn’t it should be, with scrambled eggs, beans and hot tortillas. Plenty for everyone. After a great breakfast and picture taking I’m on my way north.

From Punta Abreojos to La Bocana to Bahia Asuncion it is a graded road. The only non-pavement I’ve been on so far. It is an uneventful drive and I only meet a couple of vehicles and a couple of cows. In Asuncion I stop at the La Bufadora Inn to meet Sherri and Juan. Sherri is in Ensenada to be with her daughter but Juan is there and we have a friendly chat.

From Bahia Asuncion to Vizcaino the road is paved. I continue north to the Chapala jct. Hwy 1&5. I turn off to Coco’s. Coco is there along with three visitors. I give Coco some supplies along with a picture of Marilyn Monroe. A fancy picture that has three pictures you can see depending on the angle you view it from. Coco sets in front of it while I take his picture. Soon I’m on my way to Gonzaga Bay and San Felipe. South of San Felipe I stop by a friends place to visit. It’s on to San Felipe and the El Capitan hotel for the night.

Tuesday morning I’m off to Tecate and arrive at the border about 11 am. It only takes a few minutes and I’m on my way back to Bakersfield and home. At the border the agent asks me what I was bringing back from Mexico and I said three beers. He looks at me kind of strange so I tell him I couldn’t drink them all. He laughs and says “I thought you said you had three pears and I was trying to figure where you would get pears in Baja”. He waves we thru.

A truck DavidK may be interested in.

Another great trip to Baja, short but fun and interesting.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 11:02 AM

Nice trip report, TW.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 11:04 AM

Great report, thanks! You fit a lot in a short trip.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 12:09 PM

Thanks for posting. Always love a good report!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 06:29 PM

that was a very nice report and you do really travel far and fast. Too bad Shari wasn't there, but it gives you a good reason to go back Isn't the view from their beachhouse gorgeous?

The 2 surfer- fisher - kiters are still here. Yesterday and the day before they kited, today they went to Abreojos to surf as the swell is up.

Hope your wife gets better faster than ever. Thanks again for being such a hero!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.