Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rental Cars Cabo
Road Runner

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 03:15 PM
Rental Cars Cabo

Hey guys, my friend and I are planning a two week trip to the Cabo region. We are flying into San Jose.

We need a rental car, and I'm a little confused. I've been doing some research and it appears there is an airport tax that is steep. Also, it appears there is some sort of mandatory insurance, which can be expensive.

Does anyone have any clarification on what exactly the fee's are? Any good suggestions for car rentals?

A standard vehicle will work although we would prefer a 4x4 or high clearance vehicle.

We were planning on using Expedia and they offer collision insurance for an additional $11/day. Besides the rental car cost ($1/day) and the collision insurance ($11/day), are there any other types of required insurance or hidden fees?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

[Edited on 7-26-2016 by Road Runner]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:02 PM

I have rented vehicle before out of Cabo airport. Although it is a good idea to reserve a vehicle, you can get much better prices by one of the car insurance pimps on your way out of the customs area. (BTW...stop and get a margarita in the same area).
The pimps generally offer better deals than you get on-line. AND it is a good idea to get the insurance, from one who was in a wreck in La Paz where a bus rear-ended me because he did not expect me to make a full stop at a stop sign with a cop directing traffic. The insurance just gave me another car.
4X4 and high clearance vehicles demand a high premium rental price, so be aware of that. Myself, being a very experienced off-roader, had no problem driving a sub-compact in all the dirt roads I drove.

You did not say the time frame of your trip. Beware that the high season for Cabo starts in October, and prices rise accordingly.

If you don't have reservation package at one of the resorts, the Hotel Mar De Cortez has the best prices in Cabo. It is across the street from Cabo Wabo, has an excellent restaurant and pool, is one street away from the marina, and 50 steps away from the best souvenir shopping in Cabo.

BTW...welcome to Nomads!

[Edited on 7-26-2016 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:02 PM

Been going down there for decades. Have always used Avis. Outside of your question, you really need to understand that virtually all the car rental places at or near SJD have a timeshare shill that you need to ignore.

After having the car front badge removed while I was still at the airport waiting for a friend, I decided to start driving down.

Definitely buy the collision/comp coverage unless you want to be victimized by unscrupulous rental car agencies.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:37 PM

@ Udo. Nothing more to add to your comment. Perfectly o.k.
(besides the fact that stop signs in Mexico are a recommendation, not the law :light:)
@ Bajahowodd. Same as for Udo.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Been going down there for decades. Have always used Avis. Outside of your question, you really need to understand that virtually all the car rental places at or near SJD have a timeshare shill that you need to ignore.

After having the car front badge removed while I was still at the airport waiting for a friend, I decided to start driving down.

Definitely buy the collision/comp coverage unless you want to be victimized by unscrupulous rental car agencies.

Next September my family and I are doing a two week loop in central Mexico (CdMx-Hgo-Qro-Pue-Ver-Pue-Tlax-Mor-CdMx)... so we rented (reserved and paid for) a car from Thrifty, I was thinking of using my credit card's "DCW" but I found out that if needed (any occurrence), I would be billed directly to my credit card and then I would seek reimbursement from my credit card, so I just went ahead and paid for it, THEN you MUST get LIABILITY insurance (which I did) because if you are in an accident and there's blood anywhere in the scene your going to be detained until every thing is clarified... that's the law!... (probably even if there's NO blood)... so two or three hundred dollars is worth your peace of mind... here's somethings to read:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150768-c76890/Mexico:Car...

http://www.sfgate.com/mexico/mexicomix/article/Renting-a-car...

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:49 PM

Forget all the rental companies except this one. http://bbbrentacar

No matter what price you reserve your car for with all the other companies you will paying much more because of all the add on insurance etc that they will charge you.

BBB will charge you the price they quote. These folks are the honest real deal. Reserve ahead of time with them and you need not worry.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 04:54 PM

That's great info Tom!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That's great info Tom!

The Green family that runs BBB has been in the area for a long time. Well established in the community and just fine folks. We are honored to know them. We have been sending our visitors to BBB for the past few years to get their cars and vans. They have always been well served.

Road Runner

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I have rented vehicle before out of Cabo airport. Although it is a good idea to reserve a vehicle, you can get much better prices by one of the car insurance pimps on your way out of the customs area. (BTW...stop and get a margarita in the same area).
The pimps generally offer better deals than you get on-line. AND it is a good idea to get the insurance, from one who was in a wreck in La Paz where a bus rear-ended me because he did not expect me to make a full stop at a stop sign with a cop directing traffic. The insurance just gave me another car.
4X4 and high clearance vehicles demand a high premium rental price, so be aware of that. Myself, being a very experienced off-roader, had no problem driving a sub-compact in all the dirt roads I drove.

You did not say the time frame of your trip. Beware that the high season for Cabo starts in October, and prices rise accordingly.

If you don't have reservation package at one of the resorts, the Hotel Mar De Cortez has the best prices in Cabo. It is across the street from Cabo Wabo, has an excellent restaurant and pool, is one street away from the marina, and 50 steps away from the best souvenir shopping in Cabo.

BTW...welcome to Nomads!

[Edited on 7-26-2016 by Udo]

Thanks for the tips.

The only "Off Roading" we will be doing is going from San Jose to east cape region, specifically ship wrecks/9 palms area, so not sure if a true 4x4 is absolutely necessary.

Car insurance pimps - hilarious!

Road Runner

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Yes I heard they are like vultures when it comes to selling time shares :lol:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 06:11 PM

The real vultures show up later, after you sign the papers!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 08:16 PM

Good to know about BBB as a local, "all-inclusive" option. So far we've been pretty lucky with Dominic's Los Cabos. They are very responsive via email, and will give detailed directions as to how to meet them in the airport parking lot, beyond the vultures. Terms are strictly cash (U.S. currency), but they cover all insurance and have a modestly sized fleet of reliable cars.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 11:04 PM

I've used Cactus (car rentals) in the past. It cost me about $450 to 550 for 9 days, including insurance for a mid-size car.

Though the east cape road is rough, you won't need a 4x4. Save your money. ...I wouldn't tell the rental car company you're going there.
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 08:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
I've used Cactus (car rentals) in the past. It cost me about $450 to 550 for 9 days, including insurance for a mid-size car.

Though the east cape road is rough, you won't need a 4x4. Save your money. ...I wouldn't tell the rental car company you're going there.

I 2nd Cactus. Used them 5 times in the last 2 years. Will be using them in 2 weeks for 9 days at 280 dollars with the mandatory insurance for the Jetta type car.

Antonio runs it and is a stand up guy. Always shoots us straight. I've turned those things back in with surf wax and sand all over the roof and the rest of the car looks like it was in the 1000. They just smile and take the keys.

amiranda@cactuscar.com Is Antonio's email.

I've heard good things about BBB but they were all reserved whenever I tried. Also heard good things about Dominic but no first hand experience.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 08:45 AM

I have always rented from National at the airport. With the exception of 1 bad experience (involving Hurricane Odile) I have been happy with the process. I can rent on the National website and since I am a National member I get a few bucks off per day.

At National you rent a car for $X/day. Then you HAVE TO add the Third Party Liability that runs about $20/day. Then you have the OPTION of adding additional coverage. If you don't add the coverage they say they put a hold on a dollar amount (I think $1,000) on your credit card. Although they have always made a card copy for the hold they have never actually put it in place - I've check with my card company.

I've never taken the optional coverage as I've had either a foreign policy that specifically covers this - that is not recognized by National so they still say they put a CC hold - or a credit card that specifically states they cover this. I've never had an issue and never had to make a claim. It is your comfort level and yours alone to make that decision.

Just a word about Expedia. I remember one time I was renting and the person next to me had done all the renting and insurancing through Expedia and the rental agent was not accepting it. I don't know what the problem was but the person trying to rent was insistent things were good and the agent was equally insistent they were not. Guess what, in the end the agent will always win. They were still arguing 1/2 hour later as I was driving off.

My house is between La Ribera and Cabo Pulmo on the east cape. I have taken the tiniest, cheapest little cars they offer and beat them like a rented mule up and down the east cape road. A 4x4 is nice but expensive and not really needed unless you are driving on the beach. Even then you might not get a vehicle with functioning 4x4. Rental companies are known for disabling that feature.

Do a very thorough walk around and note even the smallest scratches and imperfections before you drive off the lot. It will save lots of arguing at return time if you can prove that scratch was there before your rental.

Andy
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 09:28 AM

[rquote A 4x4 is nice but expensive and not really needed unless you are driving on the beach. Even then you might not get a vehicle with functioning 4x4. Rental companies are known for disabling that feature.
[/rquote]

So true! I've pulled several Rental Jeeps out of the sand along the east cape road. Usually it is a group of amped up surfers just off the plane. (Hey, I totally understand!) Don't trust the 4X4 will work until you test it to make sure. If you think you can just throw it into four and drive out onto the beach you may be sadly disappointed.
A regular car will get you all the way there, except maybe the last 100 feet and will be more comfortable.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 09:30 AM

I am in complete agreement with BajaUtah.

Do a complete fine-tooth comb inspection of the rented car...outside and inside. Let the renting agent point out the flaw that you see, scratch, dull paint, missing emblems, pits on the windshield, etc. and take a photo of the flaw with the agent's finger pointing it out. Also make sure there IS a spare tire and all the tools to change the tire. Open the hood and make sure all obvious components are there (like oil caps, dip stick, etc.)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I am in complete agreement with BajaUtah.

Do a complete fine-tooth comb inspection of the rented car...outside and inside. Let the renting agent point out the flaw that you see, scratch, dull paint, missing emblems, pits on the windshield, etc. and take a photo of the flaw with the agent's finger pointing it out. Also make sure there IS a spare tire and all the tools to change the tire. Open the hood and make sure all obvious components are there (like oil caps, dip stick, etc.)

Sage advice from a seasoned traveler. Hi Udo.

TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS. Any dent, scratch, damage not documented when you pick up the car is your word against the rental company.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 11:53 AM

I usually do a video of the car I'm about to drive away, showing all of the defects. I also include the person who's checking the car out to me in the video. It just takes a minute to walk around the car, and you have everything well documented.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 01:55 PM

welcome road runner

this is a very informative thread!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.