Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico Insurance
hosedinbaja

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 11:29 AM
Mexico Insurance

Hi All,
I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask so here goes. A few months ago I was in San Felipe and had my motorcycle stolen, it was recovered and pretty trashed and a bunch of parts stolen off of it. I had it insured with Qualitas through Lewis and Lewis. I had the adjusters come out and followed the procedures to the letter. I submitted a claim and an estimate from a reputable motorcycle shop for the damages, the bike was a total loss.
Qualitas sent me an offer for about 1/3 the insured value, 1/2 the KBB number. without the thousands of accessories on it. I replied the offer wasn't adequate and we need to come up with a reasonable settlement.
At that point I never heard back from Qualitas despite my repeated efforts by e-mail, phone or through the agent.
Does anyone have any experience settling with them or maybe recommend a lawyer to pursue this through? I'm back in the US if that makes a difference.

Thanks
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 11:57 AM

Typical--Mex insurance isn't worth the paper it is written on--the thieves are taking over Baja--oh for the old days to return:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 12:03 PM

Get on the phone with Mr. Lewis himself.
In the future use the company that sponsors Baja Nomad. Their banner ad is at the top, here. So sorry that happened to you and your ride!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-29-2016 at 01:33 PM
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 04:13 PM

It's a bummer you're not satisfied with the settlement offered by the insurance company but don't let what they offered slip through your fingers.

"I had the adjusters come out and followed the procedures to the letter. I submitted a claim and an estimate from a reputable motorcycle shop for the damages, the bike was a total loss."

What did the adjusters say? Did they say it was a total loss? Doesn't the company go by what they say?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 04:34 PM

Insurance companies (notice I didn't single out the Mexican Auto ones) do pretty much what they please. A fellow camper in B. Concepcion rolled his truck a few years back; totaled, and a miracle he walked away. He figured he got about 40 cents on the dollar after the settlement; was content to accept that much, and very happy to have lived. Had all his livelihood in the camper shell in the back; while he was away for an hour, with ambulance and Federales on-scene, all of his 'stuff' grew legs. Wasn't included in coverage. He lost his shorts on the deal. A lot of spectators gained a grundle of good tools.

Point is, it ain't the U.S., and even here I trust insurance companies as much if not less than politicians. Buena Suerte. Best advice so far, talk to Mr. Lewis personally, best bet. Then take what you can, learn from the rest. Remember, it's just 'stuff'.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 04:48 PM

Wish someone would do a thorough evaluation of the Mexican insurers,... hard to know what companies are reputable and which are not. Sounds like Qualitas has at least one strike against it, eh?
Need some statistics on probability the insurer will pay vs collect your money and tell you to pound sand.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 04:58 PM

Inasmuch as folks NOB buy Mexican insurance mostly through California licensed brokers, you don't have much clout with the actual insurance company that underwrites your policy. It is the so-called surplus lines broker NOB that are responsible for maintaining the best stable of companies they place their clients with, and also being able to intervene in claims activity. My decades long experience going to Baja tells me that both Bajabound and Mexinsurance are the ones to do business with.
hosedinbaja

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 07:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I have spoke with Mr. Lewis, very nice and professional and they won't respond to him either.
I would have used the ins co that sponsors this site, I didn't know, Lewis had a good rep. How do you really know from 3000 miles away?
I would accept an offer, but they don't seem willing to honor their contract in any aspect. I would be wiling to speak with any lawyer friends that anyone could recommend.

Thanks
toroteman

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 01:55 PM

Sorry about your bad experience, but a friend and neighbor in Baja had an accident in April and had a similar bad experience with the same company. He has been on the phone with Mr. Lewis and still has not been compensated for his "covered" losses.
We have been using them too, but now are shopping around. Has anyone had the misfortune of needing their Mexican auto insurance, but with a positive outcome? Is it possible?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 01:58 PM

Yes. Bajabound and HDI. No problems, and Geoff at Bajabound was there looking out for me every step of the way

Quote: Originally posted by toroteman  
Sorry about your bad experience, but a friend and neighbor in Baja had an accident in April and had a similar bad experience with the same company. He has been on the phone with Mr. Lewis and still has not been compensated for his "covered" losses.
We have been using them too, but now are shopping around. Has anyone had the misfortune of needing their Mexican auto insurance, but with a positive outcome? Is it possible?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.