BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Need To Purchase A Car In La Paz or Cabo.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 04:13 PM
Need To Purchase A Car In La Paz or Cabo.

Welcome to BajaNomad, GasMan. Replies are forthcoming.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
mazatman

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 05:01 PM

I think will have to eliminate the San Diego option, as you can''t legally import a new(er) car from the USA.

Check out the Mexican official web sites for the makes and models you are looking at, they usually list all options, prices and dealer locations.

Unless you have established credit in Mexico expect to pay cash and don't expect any discounts.

My advice, is to buy new. Mexico probably has more VW mechanics than any other make. YMMV

[Edited on 8-1-2016 by mazatman]
mazatman

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 06:06 PM

My comments were based on my experience buying a new car here in La Paz, you may do better, good luck.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 06:07 PM

It has to do with rediculous bank rules in Mexico that make lending impossible unless you already have the money for collateral. You can try to negotiate, but without competition there isn't a lot of incentive to give discounts.
Welcome to Nomad!
Where in Oz? I lived in Darwin for half a year, long ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 06:26 PM
Probably no issue with this aspect of a purchase...

We toyed with the idea of buying a new truck while we were in Cabo, the salesman said he wouldn't sell it to us since we had to bring it back to the U.S. - our place of residence.

It had to do with the California smog requirements. He mentioned (whether true or not, we didn't check) - that the Toyota we were interested in was made in Mexico, sent to the U.S. for pollution certification - whatever that is, returned to Mexico but couldn't be legally brought back to California.

I don't know if taking it to Melbourne would be the same, just in case.

Pretty confusing to us at the time.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 08:40 PM

Think I'll sit back with a cold Victoria Bitter or two and a bag of Cheezels and see how this progresses
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 09:44 PM

Tons of new and used cars for sale. You need A good car with AC because roads are rough. Also high miles per gallon helps, though I don't care. I think older used cars are often better for the rough roads, obviously you can can go to car lots located everywhere in La Paz like calle 5th of February, and M. Abasolo for new/usedor check on Facebook lists for used cars.

You may need to join FB to see these links to join for an idea of used cars.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/462838803763905/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/adamjulianbodyshop/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rematedecarroslapazbykiki/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 03:10 AM

Half the year in BCS the temperature is hot hot. If the car stays cool you and your friends stay cool and calm, there is so much to see and do but its often long distance in hot weather. The right car makes it possible to go safely and comfortably on the cheap.

Let's say you get a place with covered garage in your city home with automatic door, you can enter and exit your home safely and securely in the heat in your cool car and go on adventures daily and avoid getting in and out of your boiling hot car to open and close some old metal gate in 110F and get your white pants and white shirt dirty.

Many people have modern SUV like Nissan Murano or Rogue or other reliable Japanese cars, with high gas milage so you buzz up and down the peninsula.

Car racing and off road is a passion here with off road 4x4 oriented sport cars, dune buggy and jeeps that seem cool but they are not as practical as you would hope for the high speed highway or being exposed to the sun and dust while in traffic.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 07:01 AM

Paved roads are few, you will enjoy a 4WD to visit so many places and maybe you will get into four wheeling after living in Baja where so many four wheeling activities can be enjoyed. See the posts by Harald '4x4abc' who lives in La Paz and does 4WD tours and adventure trips.

Mexico has some great beers that were crafted by Germen brew masters over 100 years ago!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It has to do with rediculous bank rules in Mexico that make lending impossible unless you already have the money for collateral. You can try to negotiate, but without competition there isn't a lot of incentive to give discounts.
Welcome to Nomad!
Where in Oz? I lived in Darwin for half a year, long ago.

Mortgages, car loans, and personal loans are all available without savings secured collateral. There are many middle class Mexicans driving new cars. All (most of) the major car makers have dealerships in the larger Mexican cities. Tijuana has plenty and of course there is competition.

The Mexican banking system was transformed in the late 90s with foreign investment and purchase of Mexican banks. Interest rates are higher than in the US.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 09:47 AM

Paved roads are few, you will enjoy a 4WD to visit so many places and maybe you will get into four wheeling after living in Baja where so many four wheeling activities can be enjoyed. See the posts by Harald '4x4abc' who lives in La Paz and does 4WD tours and adventure trips.

Mexico has some great beers that were crafted by Germen brew masters over 100 years ago!

But David.....they must have been German Brew Masters.....
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 09:56 AM

Even the paved roads are quite tough sometimes,

I myself, would buy a one or two year old smaller SUV, like a Cherokee,r Mercedes ML or similar, in the US. A new one will loose its shine very quickly here. Drive it for a few years, and then have the choice of importing it.
Please remember, the vehicle needs to be made in one of the NAFTA member countries.
A comfortable ride, with some 4x4 capability would be my personally choice.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 01:38 PM

Hi, I live in Playas de Tijuana for 3 years now. First of all, I'd slow down. A car is not your first priority. How badly do you need a car? At least here in Playas and the rest of TJ and all of Baja CA del Norte there is an excellent public transportation system, collectivos, taxis, buses, and even Uber. You may not like Baja CA del Sur. Don'f go all in sight unseen.

I do have a new truck, and I bought in the US and I drive every day and all over Baja too, but it's insured in MX and CA and CA plated. I have a 1% loan (impossible in MX). My girlfriend drives my 2000 Ford Explorer V8 with 235,000 miles on it (AC works) and this is the type of car to get if you can't deal with public transportation. There are thousands of Ford Explorers in Baja, parts everywhere, people can work on them, and if you decide to leave your only out a few dollars. Small SUVs deal with the dirt and potholes better.

Your first priority has to be finding a place to live. Decide if you like it.

Second I'd buy a 10 year old used car in CA and drive it down.

You can import it (nationalize it) later if you want to stay. By that time you maybe will have MX Temporary Resident Visa and on the way to Permanent. On a 180 day tourist visa a US plated car will be fine.

Start fishing, drinking Dos XX, and enjoying MX culture, I sure do.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  

I will have permanent residence status from the onset when I land so exporting/importing maybe a little different/required for me. (?)

I hadn't considered an older car/SUV from the US and then take it in. Something I will look at too. The idea of banging up a new shiny car would trouble someone like me.

It's not super easy to legally import (re-register in Mexico) a vehicle from the US. The vehicle has to be between 5 and 10 model years old (no older, no newer), and made in NAFTA countries (VIN starts with 1-5) (plus some other exceptions). Importing costs $1000 or so (probably more from that far south), and takes days. (Those are the rules in Baja, mainland Mexico is different).

You'd also have to drive it 1000 miles south presumably on temporary California plates, and temporary insurance which is harder to get and expensive (Progressive is one of the few companies that will insure US cars with an out-of-country drivers license). It's a lot of bother. (I imported my car to Baja Norte a few years ago).

I'd suggest renting a basic vehicle in Cabo/La Paz for the first few weeks (or a month), so you can drive around (and bang it up!), get an idea of what the roads are like (watch out for topes!). Once you've converted your permanent residence visa to the residence card (likely to take weeks) you do then have the choice of going somewhere else in Mexico if Baja doesn't quite work out.

You may also need your Baja California Sur drivers license to be able to register a local vehicle, and you may need your permanent residence card (not visa sticker) to get that license (that's the case in Baja Norte, the south may be a bit more flexible). So you could be waiting weeks for all that to progress before you can register a local car. That's another reason to wait - you may have to!

I've lived in South Yarra years ago (as well as Wodonga, Canberra and Sydney). Have you enjoyed the outback in Australia? Parts of Baja, outside cities, are very similar (on a smaller scale). More like Coober Pedy or Geraldton than the country towns of Vic or NSW, and even scruffier.

Rob
cabo-ash

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 07:31 AM

We moved permanently to Cabo last year and bought a new truck from the Dodge dealer in San Jose. The only haggling over the sticker price (posted on the Dodge Mexico website) was we got them to throw in the registration costs.

We bought before we had Permanent residence (the paperwork was still going through) and the dealer had no problem with the registration or getting insurance.

We did look at buying used or new in the States and them importing to Mexico but the cost and the hassle due to not being US citizens made it too much trouble.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cabo-ash  
We moved permanently to Cabo last year and bought a new truck from the Dodge dealer in San Jose. The only haggling over the sticker price (posted on the Dodge Mexico website) was we got them to throw in the registration costs.

We bought before we had Permanent residence (the paperwork was still going through) and the dealer had no problem with the registration or getting insurance.

We did look at buying used or new in the States and them importing to Mexico but the cost and the hassle due to not being US citizens made it too much trouble.

This sounds like great info for Gas Man!
Where were you from, before Baja?

cabo-ash

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 07:46 AM

This sounds like great info for Gas Man!
Where were you from, before Baja?

Dubai - but originally from UK.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 08:46 AM

As an 11 year retiree in San Jose del Cabo area it makes no sense to me for you to buy your car in the states. You don't have a residence there to register the car. Just buy it in Baja. You will have local plates and will not stand out that way. There are plenty of car dealers all over the place. I also recommend a small SUV car with good ground clearance.

We live on a long dirt road and drive a Honda Pilot to town. It has been awesome. Our neighbors all own similar vehicles be they Toyota, Ford etc. A Rav 4 or a CRV would be great.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 09:51 AM

Are you married to a MX or how are you entering MX with Permanent Resident visa status? I live here on my tourist visa, and as I understand it I have to prove residence in MX, show financial documents and document income, and pay fees and more to get a Temporary Residence Visa and then after some years I'm eligible to convert it to Permanent. Unless I marry my novia there are no shortcuts (I'm not MXN by birth which could be a short cut).

Since you already have Permanent status, and are highly committed to Baja CA del Sur, that changes things.

Buy a used small SUV already nationalized (Baja Plates). Meanwhile find a place and take advantage of MX's great public transportation and even Uber (very easy to use Uber here in TJ).

You interested in city living or more of a village? Or perhaps you want to explore Baja first and find the right place?

IMHO here are about main 3 places where us gringos congregate :

(1) TJ to Ensenada/San Quintin including La Bufadora (northern Pacific Coast - where I am and thus biased)
(2) Mulege to Loreto (southern Gulf East Coast)
(3) La Paz to Todos Santos (southern Cape)

Then to a lesser extent there are the southern Pacific coast villages like Bahia Asuncion.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 03:32 PM

It seems you are moving to mexico without ever having visited. Foolish!
You should visit first. You might not like it, it's easier to bail out if you are uncommitted.

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  
Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
Are you married to a MX or how are you entering MX with Permanent Resident visa status? I live here on my tourist visa, and as I understand it I have to prove residence in MX, show financial documents and document income, and pay fees and more to get a Temporary Residence Visa and then after some years I'm eligible to convert it to Permanent. Unless I marry my novia there are no shortcuts (I'm not MXN by birth which could be a short cut).

Since you already have Permanent status, and are highly committed to Baja CA del Sur, that changes things.

Buy a used small SUV already nationalized (Baja Plates). Meanwhile find a place and take advantage of MX's great public transportation and even Uber (very easy to use Uber here in TJ).

You interested in city living or more of a village? Or perhaps you want to explore Baja first and find the right place?

IMHO here are about main 3 places where us gringos congregate :

(1) TJ to Ensenada/San Quintin including La Bufadora (northern Pacific Coast - where I am and thus biased)
(2) Mulege to Loreto (southern Gulf East Coast)
(3) La Paz to Todos Santos (southern Cape)

Then to a lesser extent there are the southern Pacific coast villages like Bahia Asuncion.

Thanks for the above and I'll respond as best I can to some of your questions.

No, I'm not married to a Mexican.

Res Status? :-

1) 180 day general tourist Visa
2) Have approx. $32K in the bank for a year untouched = 4 year visa application
3) Have approx. $220K in the bank untouched for a year = perm status application

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going to finally settle but me being a city slicker all my life I'll assume as I write that places like La Paz, Cabo San Jose etc would be my first ports of call to consider. I've worked fulltime without a break no longer than 2 weeks every 2 years for 40 years so it's now time to rest and finally learn how to live as I would like.

I'll be relocating on my own (married once & now behind me) so I have total freedom to move about being responsible for only myself.

I've done some ground work taking all of the above into consideration and bringing a car in from the US is not the best option for me. Buying local is the way to go keeping focus on an SUV type vehicle appears in order which kills off my initial VW or Ford thoughts.

Once again, I'm receiving some great informative responses from you all so thank you.

[Edited on 8-2-2016 by Man_With_Gas]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.