Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East port of entry Mexicali
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 07:40 AM
East port of entry Mexicali

What are the directions going north ? With a motorhome with tow vehicle.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 10:19 AM

Easy
Top of image goes to I8
Road near top of image going E/W it state hwy to Yuma or Calixico

Route N.jpg - 222kB
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 11:28 AM

Going to the border or leaving the border?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 12:38 PM

PaulW, Thanks for the visual aid. I have not used the East entry yet, but intend to on the next trip.

My TomTom gps has no problem finding the route once I am on the US side of the border, but never gets it right finding the detours to the end of the line waiting to cross (Calexico west, Tecate, Algodones).

Is it also that way on the Mexico side of the Calexico east crossing?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 12:41 PM

How about showing the route across town from Hwy. 5 near the Mexicali Costco to the eastern border crossing? Thanks... I am guessing that's what he seeks?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 07:12 PM
route for RenoJoe

RenoJoe - I have a gps file and a google earlh file of the northbound but for some reason I cannot attached either here.

If you u2u me your email address I can try it that way.

The Mexicali east exit from Baja is pretty easy. As you turn off the road into the crossing area there will be two lanes of traffic - stay to the right. As you get closer to the front of the line you'll note an overhead sign indicating RVs in the rightmost lane. So keep that in mind as you turn into the crossing.

John

Edited to add photo - you can clearly see the RVs in the right most lane.

[Edited on 8-19-2016 by John M]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 08:48 PM

AKgringo and RenoJoe,
As said above right lane is required for big vehicles and trailers. To enter that lane it definitely best to come from the east/south via Aeropuerto blvd. If you come from the west sometimes there is a cop to help you get into the right lane by crossing traffic.
Sigh - now the MX have added a 4th lane where 3 used to be. That means your left tire will be in the next lane and your right tire will be against the curb/wall. The lane opens up after/before the narrows.
US probably will send all big rigs thru secondary to get inspected for nuclear devices so expect more than an hour wait in secondary. Sigh again.
I get really frustrated and tired with all this crap. No other choice for a big rig heading north. I have tried them all and Mexicali east is the only one that really works. Only ones I never use is the ones west of Tecati.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 08:53 PM

Kee[ in mind that Calz Morin is closed for construction. Best to take Carranza or Card##as off of 5.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2016 at 09:17 PM

Yep I take a right at callz Morin (kenworth dealership), but will closed for a year at least the detour is. Go to Carranza (the turn about with the big statue)turn right follow to the bridge to reconnect with Morin north to boarder road
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 06:27 AM

There's plenty of different routes obviously, but my buddy who was born and raised in Mexicali (and still lives there) told me to take this route. It is pretty straightforward. Just take the 5 north to Bulevar Venustiano Carranza then a right on Calzada Cetys, Then a left on the road that swings up to the border.

Last time I took this was a weekday afternoon, and was going through Mexicali right at 3pm, when a lot of the workforce was getting out for the day. It still only took me about 20 mins or so to get through Mexicali.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 06:40 AM

Thanks, Boojum, that's what I am talking about... Is there any landmark to help one spot Carranza where it joins Hwy. 5, like a business or kilometer marker?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 06:42 AM

For the last few years I have used the route BooJumMan shows above. Highly preferred especially with new paving in the worst place. The only issue at all is the crossing of Hwy2 where there are 3 lanes and no markings and I have been cut off there every time I pass thru. Take the middle lane which is unmarked. And traffic is still an issue. The route portion from 2 to L Card##as is heavily used.
None of these issues present a problem unless one is driving a motor home or dragging a big trailer
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 06:46 AM

What about the route that leaves Hwy. 5 closer to Costco? That is the one I have seen posted more. Obviously a signal intersection would be the intelligent way to cross over Hwy. 2?

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 08:59 AM
The right turn off of Highway 5 to the east crossing

John M
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 09:08 AM

David, Yes that will work as will several others. What I did was try options and decided the one that is the furthermost from the big city was my favorite. Your route is the one that the ElDorado people were and still are advocating. That means it has had wide distribution. Yes I used it many times until I did some trial and error with a daily driver instead of my big 5th wheel rig. Bottom line the route we are discussing is way better for any rig or car.
========
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What about the route that leaves Hwy. 5 closer to Costco? That is the one I have seen posted more. Obviously a signal intersection would be the intelligent way to cross over Hwy. 2?
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 09:20 AM

The route that leaves near Costco is the road under construction. There is a traffic signal at the Hwy 2 crossing, it's just confusing the first time through. As noted, stay in the middle, the right lane fades away. This will be right after crossing RR tracks. The turn northbound off Hwy 5 is at the first traffic light after going under the toll road overpass. There is something on the corner but I can't remember what, probably either a Pemex, OXXO, or both. Neither are reliable landmarks as they are all over the place.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
For the last few years I have used the route BooJumMan shows above. Highly preferred especially with new paving in the worst place. The only issue at all is the crossing of Hwy2 where there are 3 lanes and no markings and I have been cut off there every time I pass thru. Take the middle lane which is unmarked. And traffic is still an issue. The route portion from 2 to L Card##as is heavily used.
None of these issues present a problem unless one is driving a motor home or dragging a big trailer

Good call. That intersection is pretty nuts. :lol:

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 09:29 AM

Thank you Tom, Paul, bk, and Boojum
It is for Reno Joe (the OP) I ask, but this is good to know...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.